keyboard not present boot error

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

hi all
just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios to enable ps2
or an auto keyboard setting.... looked for a keyboard setup and none
could be found.....gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp

i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully] and never a
problem.....when i connect a ps2 and boot i get the keyboard not
present error ........the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb kb
with several keys in the numpad stuck in the on position...dunno
whether this could be related

i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
any one disagree with that diagnosis???
relloman
3 answers Last reply
More about keyboard present boot error
  1. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message

    > just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board

    > at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios
    > to enable ps2 or an auto keyboard setting.... looked
    > for a keyboard setup and none could be found.....

    I dont recall ever seeing something like that in the bios.

    You do sometimes see explicit support for usb keyboard
    and mouse that can be enabled and disabled, and
    sometimes that has the word legacy on the entry too.

    > gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp

    > i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully]
    > and never a problem.....when i connect a ps2 and
    > boot i get the keyboard not present error ........

    Most likely the ps2 port is dead or the keyboard is.

    Some bios do have a ps2 enable/disable entry, but
    thats not common at all in systems that modern.

    > the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb
    > kb with several keys in the numpad stuck in the
    > on position...dunno whether this could be related

    You are trying it without the usb keyboard plugged in arent you ?

    It could certainly get royally confused if you have both plugged
    in and the usb keyboard has some keys jammed down.

    > i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
    > any one disagree with that diagnosis???

    Nope, thats most likely. You can get dry joints on the ps2 connector
    and that may have been why the usb keyboard was used.
  2. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:58:48 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
    >
    >> at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios
    >> to enable ps2 or an auto keyboard setting.... looked
    >> for a keyboard setup and none could be found.....
    >
    >I dont recall ever seeing something like that in the bios.
    >
    >You do sometimes see explicit support for usb keyboard
    >and mouse that can be enabled and disabled, and
    >sometimes that has the word legacy on the entry too.
    >
    >> gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp
    >
    >> i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully]
    >> and never a problem.....when i connect a ps2 and
    >> boot i get the keyboard not present error ........
    >
    >Most likely the ps2 port is dead or the keyboard is.
    >
    >Some bios do have a ps2 enable/disable entry, but
    >thats not common at all in systems that modern.
    >
    >> the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb
    >> kb with several keys in the numpad stuck in the
    >> on position...dunno whether this could be related
    >
    >You are trying it without the usb keyboard plugged in arent you ?
    >
    >It could certainly get royally confused if you have both plugged
    >in and the usb keyboard has some keys jammed down.
    >
    >> i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
    >> any one disagree with that diagnosis???
    >
    >Nope, thats most likely. You can get dry joints on the ps2 connector
    >and that may have been why the usb keyboard was used.

    the only point of concern is when we go to reload winxp in the initial
    stage of install you are required to hit F8 key to agree to the
    eula...i have seen systems that refuse to recognise F8 from usb
    k/b....after connecting a ps2 you can proceed...if we dont have access
    to ps2 we are rooted.....
    relloman
  3. Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:58:48 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
    >>
    >>> at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios
    >>> to enable ps2 or an auto keyboard setting.... looked
    >>> for a keyboard setup and none could be found.....
    >>
    >>I dont recall ever seeing something like that in the bios.
    >>
    >>You do sometimes see explicit support for usb keyboard
    >>and mouse that can be enabled and disabled, and
    >>sometimes that has the word legacy on the entry too.
    >>
    >>> gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp
    >>
    >>> i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully]
    >>> and never a problem.....when i connect a ps2 and
    >>> boot i get the keyboard not present error ........
    >>
    >>Most likely the ps2 port is dead or the keyboard is.
    >>
    >>Some bios do have a ps2 enable/disable entry, but
    >>thats not common at all in systems that modern.
    >>
    >>> the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb
    >>> kb with several keys in the numpad stuck in the
    >>> on position...dunno whether this could be related
    >>
    >>You are trying it without the usb keyboard plugged in arent you ?
    >>
    >>It could certainly get royally confused if you have both plugged
    >>in and the usb keyboard has some keys jammed down.
    >>
    >>> i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
    >>> any one disagree with that diagnosis???
    >>
    >>Nope, thats most likely. You can get dry joints on the ps2 connector
    >>and that may have been why the usb keyboard was used.
    >>

    > the only point of concern is when we go to reload winxp in the initial
    > stage of install you are required to hit F8 key to agree to the
    > eula...i have seen systems that refuse to recognise F8 from usb
    > k/b....after connecting a ps2 you can proceed...if we dont have access
    > to ps2 we are rooted.....

    Havent seen that myself, the boot from the XP CD does a pretty
    good job of finding all the USB keyboards I have tried it with.

    The only real quirk that I have noticed is that I do tend to use the
    KVM for max convenience and you cant actually switch away from
    the system you are installing XP on during the relatively slow initial
    boot from the XP CD, when you switch back, it wont necessarily
    have the drivers loaded for the usb keyboard. You basically have
    to leave the KVM switched to the PC you are installing XP on
    until you have done that basic initial keyboard stuff and you can
    then switch away while it gets on with installing XP after that.

Gigabyte Keyboards Motherboards