Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

keyboard not present boot error

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 12:12:57 PM

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

hi all
just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios to enable ps2
or an auto keyboard setting.... looked for a keyboard setup and none
could be found.....gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp

i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully] and never a
problem.....when i connect a ps2 and boot i get the keyboard not
present error ........the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb kb
with several keys in the numpad stuck in the on position...dunno
whether this could be related

i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
any one disagree with that diagnosis???
relloman
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 8:58:48 AM

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
news:41b7fb35.5557180@news-server...

> just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board

> at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios
> to enable ps2 or an auto keyboard setting.... looked
> for a keyboard setup and none could be found.....

I dont recall ever seeing something like that in the bios.

You do sometimes see explicit support for usb keyboard
and mouse that can be enabled and disabled, and
sometimes that has the word legacy on the entry too.

> gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp

> i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully]
> and never a problem.....when i connect a ps2 and
> boot i get the keyboard not present error ........

Most likely the ps2 port is dead or the keyboard is.

Some bios do have a ps2 enable/disable entry, but
thats not common at all in systems that modern.

> the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb
> kb with several keys in the numpad stuck in the
> on position...dunno whether this could be related

You are trying it without the usb keyboard plugged in arent you ?

It could certainly get royally confused if you have both plugged
in and the usb keyboard has some keys jammed down.

> i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
> any one disagree with that diagnosis???

Nope, thats most likely. You can get dry joints on the ps2 connector
and that may have been why the usb keyboard was used.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 8:58:49 AM

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:58:48 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>
>rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
>news:41b7fb35.5557180@news-server...
>
>> just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
>
>> at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios
>> to enable ps2 or an auto keyboard setting.... looked
>> for a keyboard setup and none could be found.....
>
>I dont recall ever seeing something like that in the bios.
>
>You do sometimes see explicit support for usb keyboard
>and mouse that can be enabled and disabled, and
>sometimes that has the word legacy on the entry too.
>
>> gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp
>
>> i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully]
>> and never a problem.....when i connect a ps2 and
>> boot i get the keyboard not present error ........
>
>Most likely the ps2 port is dead or the keyboard is.
>
>Some bios do have a ps2 enable/disable entry, but
>thats not common at all in systems that modern.
>
>> the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb
>> kb with several keys in the numpad stuck in the
>> on position...dunno whether this could be related
>
>You are trying it without the usb keyboard plugged in arent you ?
>
>It could certainly get royally confused if you have both plugged
>in and the usb keyboard has some keys jammed down.
>
>> i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
>> any one disagree with that diagnosis???
>
>Nope, thats most likely. You can get dry joints on the ps2 connector
>and that may have been why the usb keyboard was used.
>
>
the only point of concern is when we go to reload winxp in the initial
stage of install you are required to hit F8 key to agree to the
eula...i have seen systems that refuse to recognise F8 from usb
k/b....after connecting a ps2 you can proceed...if we dont have access
to ps2 we are rooted.....
relloman
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 12:19:16 PM

Archived from groups: aus.computers,alt.comp.hardware..pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"rello" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
news:41b8ca54.965418@news-server...
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:58:48 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>rello <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
>>news:41b7fb35.5557180@news-server...
>>
>>> just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
>>
>>> at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios
>>> to enable ps2 or an auto keyboard setting.... looked
>>> for a keyboard setup and none could be found.....
>>
>>I dont recall ever seeing something like that in the bios.
>>
>>You do sometimes see explicit support for usb keyboard
>>and mouse that can be enabled and disabled, and
>>sometimes that has the word legacy on the entry too.
>>
>>> gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp
>>
>>> i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully]
>>> and never a problem.....when i connect a ps2 and
>>> boot i get the keyboard not present error ........
>>
>>Most likely the ps2 port is dead or the keyboard is.
>>
>>Some bios do have a ps2 enable/disable entry, but
>>thats not common at all in systems that modern.
>>
>>> the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb
>>> kb with several keys in the numpad stuck in the
>>> on position...dunno whether this could be related
>>
>>You are trying it without the usb keyboard plugged in arent you ?
>>
>>It could certainly get royally confused if you have both plugged
>>in and the usb keyboard has some keys jammed down.
>>
>>> i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
>>> any one disagree with that diagnosis???
>>
>>Nope, thats most likely. You can get dry joints on the ps2 connector
>>and that may have been why the usb keyboard was used.
>>
>>
> the only point of concern is when we go to reload winxp in the initial
> stage of install you are required to hit F8 key to agree to the
> eula...i have seen systems that refuse to recognise F8 from usb
> k/b....after connecting a ps2 you can proceed...if we dont have access
> to ps2 we are rooted.....

Havent seen that myself, the boot from the XP CD does a pretty
good job of finding all the USB keyboards I have tried it with.

The only real quirk that I have noticed is that I do tend to use the
KVM for max convenience and you cant actually switch away from
the system you are installing XP on during the relatively slow initial
boot from the XP CD, when you switch back, it wont necessarily
have the drivers loaded for the usb keyboard. You basically have
to leave the KVM switched to the PC you are installing XP on
until you have done that basic initial keyboard stuff and you can
then switch away while it gets on with installing XP after that.
!