Wireless Networking - need help

ollowed instructions on article by Barb Bowman
"http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1" to setup my laptop security. I have following questions.

1.In the above mentioned article she mentions, "If you have a laptop that
has both wired and wireless capabilities, use it to perform the
configuration. Use the wired connection to set up the router and then you
will be able to disconnect the cable and easily set up wireless access.
Create the SSID and WPA passphrase in Notepad first so that you can copy and
paste them into various configuration fields."

On the same article under “To set up the wireless network� she mentioned,
“Unplug the Ethernet cable from the router, if you're using a computer that
supports both wired and wireless to set up your network.�

I DID NOT have Ethernet cable connected while I set up the wireless network.
Did I do something wrong? Can I undo it and start all over again?

2.When I right click on wireless network icon, I get a list of available
wireless networks. After setting up my wireless network, should I see my
network on the list of available wireless networks?

3.My laptop connects to wireless network that is not secured. I have
Westell, Versalink Modem+router provided by Verizon for my DSL connection.
All I am trying to do is have my laptop connect through secured wireless
network

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

Premal

First you log into the router and set your encryption and authentication.
The article suggests you do this via a wired connection, but you can do it
over the wireless connection just fine. Once that is done you should not be
able to connect to your router or the internet at all.

Now go into your laptop and set the encryption and authentication to match
what you did to the router. After you have completed that you should beable
to connect to your router again and have everything working as it did
before, except now you are running a secured wireless network.

Robert....

"Premal" <Premal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ollowed instructions on article by Barb Bowman
> "http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1"
> to setup my laptop security. I have following questions.
>
> 1.In the above mentioned article she mentions, "If you have a laptop that
> has both wired and wireless capabilities, use it to perform the
> configuration. Use the wired connection to set up the router and then you
> will be able to disconnect the cable and easily set up wireless access.
> Create the SSID and WPA passphrase in Notepad first so that you can copy
> and
> paste them into various configuration fields."
>
> On the same article under "To set up the wireless network" she mentioned,
> "Unplug the Ethernet cable from the router, if you're using a computer
> that
> supports both wired and wireless to set up your network."
>
> I DID NOT have Ethernet cable connected while I set up the wireless
> network.
> Did I do something wrong? Can I undo it and start all over again?
>
> 2.When I right click on wireless network icon, I get a list of available
> wireless networks. After setting up my wireless network, should I see my
> network on the list of available wireless networks?
>
> 3.My laptop connects to wireless network that is not secured. I have
> Westell, Versalink Modem+router provided by Verizon for my DSL connection.
> All I am trying to do is have my laptop connect through secured wireless
> network
>
> I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.
>
> Premal

Thank you for your reply.

Since I do not know much about computers, may I bother you asking a few
follow up questions? I have only one computer and that is laptop, I do not
have any other computer related equipment (printer, etc.).

1. "First you log into the router and set your encryption and
authentication.�

-- I guess you mean to connect to my wireless network, correct? Or you
meant to use Wireless Network Wizard." Since Verizon tech. helped me to set
it up, how can I re-do it?
2.:eek:ver the wireless connection just fine. Once that is done you should not
be able to connect to your router or the internet at all."

-- Is "......should not be able to...." in this sentence a typo?

Thanks again for your help.

Premal

"DLink Guru" wrote:

> First you log into the router and set your encryption and authentication.
> The article suggests you do this via a wired connection, but you can do it
> over the wireless connection just fine. Once that is done you should not be
> able to connect to your router or the internet at all.
>
> Now go into your laptop and set the encryption and authentication to match
> what you did to the router. After you have completed that you should beable
> to connect to your router again and have everything working as it did
> before, except now you are running a secured wireless network.
>
> Robert....
>
> "Premal" <Premal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ollowed instructions on article by Barb Bowman
> > "http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1"
> > to setup my laptop security. I have following questions.
> >
> > 1.In the above mentioned article she mentions, "If you have a laptop that
> > has both wired and wireless capabilities, use it to perform the
> > configuration. Use the wired connection to set up the router and then you
> > will be able to disconnect the cable and easily set up wireless access.
> > Create the SSID and WPA passphrase in Notepad first so that you can copy
> > and
> > paste them into various configuration fields."
> >
> > On the same article under "To set up the wireless network" she mentioned,
> > "Unplug the Ethernet cable from the router, if you're using a computer
> > that
> > supports both wired and wireless to set up your network."
> >
> > I DID NOT have Ethernet cable connected while I set up the wireless
> > network.
> > Did I do something wrong? Can I undo it and start all over again?
> >
> > 2.When I right click on wireless network icon, I get a list of available
> > wireless networks. After setting up my wireless network, should I see my
> > network on the list of available wireless networks?
> >
> > 3.My laptop connects to wireless network that is not secured. I have
> > Westell, Versalink Modem+router provided by Verizon for my DSL connection.
> > All I am trying to do is have my laptop connect through secured wireless
> > network
> >
> > I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.
> >
> > Premal

OK,

First you have to log into your router. You do this by opening Internet
explorer and typing the IP address of the router. Usually 192.168.0.1, but
consult your router manual to make sure. You will then get a login prompt
and you have to put in your user name and password, usually Name: Admin and
Password is blank, but again check your manual.

Then you will have to find the section dealing with security and
authentication and set it up. If you have never been in your router setting
and dont know basically what to do Im afraid I cant help you since im not
familiar with Linksys products.

> -- Is "......should not be able to...." in this sentence a typo?
This is not a typo, once you set the router up with your security and before
you setup the laptop for the same security, you will lose your connection
since the security settings of the laptop and router no longer match.

Now gointo your laptop and find the security and authentication for your
wireless card and set the security key and authentication to the same as you
did in the router. After that is done your connection should connect again
and now you are in a secured network.

> [...]
>> > supports both wired and wireless to set up your network."
>> >
>> > I DID NOT have Ethernet cable connected while I set up the wireless
>> > network.
>> > Did I do something wrong? Can I undo it and start all over again?
>> >
>> > 2.When I right click on wireless network icon, I get a list of
>> > available
>> > wireless networks. After setting up my wireless network, should I see
>> > my
>> > network on the list of available wireless networks?
>> >
>> > 3.My laptop connects to wireless network that is not secured. I have
>> > Westell, Versalink Modem+router provided by Verizon for my DSL
>> > connection.
>> > All I am trying to do is have my laptop connect through secured
>> > wireless
>> > network
>> >
>> > I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

Thank you for your input.

Although you explained in very simple words, i am afraid that if I try on my
own, I may mess up my laptop. Wil have to have somebody knowledgable to
guide me.

Premal