I have recently installed sp2 and now when the computer is turned off the
optical mouse (wired) does not turn off (light). This was not a problem
before the upgrade. Can it be fixed?

"Rick D" <RickD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently installed sp2 and now when the computer is turned off
>the
> optical mouse (wired) does not turn off (light). This was not a
> problem
> before the upgrade. Can it be fixed?

Did you try reinstalling whatever drivers or software came with the
mouse? Did you try downloading new drivers or software for your mouse
from its manufacturer's web site? What happens when you uninstall the
mouse driver or software, reboot, and revert back to the standard
Windows-embedded mouse driver?

You never mentioned WHAT mouse (brand and model) you have, and whether
it is a PS/2 or USB connected mouse, so no one can familiar with that
device can give you specific help.

Does the optical mouse's light actually stay on when you turn OFF your
computer (i.e., power it down)? Or do you really mean that you are
putting the computer into standby or hibernate mode (by using the timed
power options, shutdown dialog, a keyboard button, or the power button)
rather than actually powering off the unit? If you were really powering
down then there is no power at the PS/2 or USB ports so there would be
no way for the mouse LED to remain lit.

>> mouse led stays on when computer is off <<

Most modern computers no longer "turn off" but go into a very reduced
operation state so that they can "awake" on a keyboard input (a-la Mac)
or network signal. If you take a look, you will probably find that the
network card is also powered on either by the link status led or a
status light on the router or cable modem if you are using one.

Since the keyboard requires 5v to to function, it's probably going to
the mouse plug as well, keeping it alive.

Couple of options.

Go into the pc's bios and turn off the "awake" options.

You can use a power strip with a switch to completely turn off the power
to the computer if you need a complete power down. Some computers still
have a real power switch on the back of the power supply that will do
the same.

If you are using a ps2 port, try using a usb mouse or vice versa... most
mice now come with adapters that allow them to be used in either port.

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

I changed to a usb port and that solved the problem. Thanks. I also turned
off the awake function in the bios. Is that adviseable?

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> >> mouse led stays on when computer is off <<
>
> Most modern computers no longer "turn off" but go into a very reduced
> operation state so that they can "awake" on a keyboard input (a-la Mac)
> or network signal. If you take a look, you will probably find that the
> network card is also powered on either by the link status led or a
> status light on the router or cable modem if you are using one.
>
> Since the keyboard requires 5v to to function, it's probably going to
> the mouse plug as well, keeping it alive.
>
> Couple of options.
>
> Go into the pc's bios and turn off the "awake" options.
>
> You can use a power strip with a switch to completely turn off the power
> to the computer if you need a complete power down. Some computers still
> have a real power switch on the back of the power supply that will do
> the same.
>
> If you are using a ps2 port, try using a usb mouse or vice versa... most
> mice now come with adapters that allow them to be used in either port.
>
> hth,

>> I also turned off the awake function in the bios. Is that
adviseable? <<

If you are not using it to turn the computer on with the keyboard or
other method such as network, it will make no difference.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]