Rugged laptop

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm looking for a laptop that will go on a boat. It has to be somewhat
rugged but not to bulky. Also,
Does any know of any rugged cases I could put non rugged laptop in to make
it a bit more rugged. It would have to be a case that allows me to open the
laptop use it while it's still in the case.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could approach this?

Thanks
Jasper

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Ruggedized Tablet PCs are available - but expensive - but you may wish to
look into them. Tablet PC MVP Terri Stratton has information in her
comparison charts here: http://thetabletpc.net .
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a laptop that will go on a boat. It has to be somewhat
> rugged but not to bulky. Also,
> Does any know of any rugged cases I could put non rugged laptop in to make
> it a bit more rugged. It would have to be a case that allows me to open
> the
> laptop use it while it's still in the case.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could approach this?
>
> Thanks
> Jasper

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

>> for a boat <<

What jobs do you need to do with it?

Reason I ask is that there are a number of rugged options for pocketpc's
which would keep both the size and costs down.

In addition to gps capabilities, there are thousands of programs that
range from astronomy charts and tide tables to word and excel.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Panasonic has a line of such rugged laptops. Do a Google
for "tough book laptop"; "rugged laptop"; and "milspec
laptop" The milspec laptops are water and dustproof and
will withsatnd being dropped and I think they will float,
whether open or closed.
Boing Boing: MilSpec laptop is dishwasher safe ... MilSpec
laptop is dishwasher safe Paul Boutin reviews the GoBook
MAX, a milspec, shockproof, waterproof, heatproof laptop for
Slate. ...
www.boingboing.net/2003/03/22/milspec_laptop_is_di.html
- 16k - Cached - Similar pages

16/06/2001 Pentium-Powered, "Toughest" MIL SPEC Laptop
Brings 4th ... ... With the release of the LTC 800, Tadiran
Electronic Systems Ltd.'s 4th generation MIL SPEC Pentium
III - 800 MHz laptop, a new standard of military ...
www.tadsys.com/news_15.html - 11k - Cached - Similar
pages

Argonaut R720 and R830 Mil-Spec, Ruggedized, Water-resistant
.... Argonaut R770 Mil-Spec Laptop Computer Argonaut R770
Mil-Spec, Ruggedized, Water-resistant Laptop Computer.
Argonaut R770 Rugged Laptop System ...
www.navstore.com/argonaut_r640.asp - 15k - Cached -
Similar pages

GRiD ------- Advanced Battlefield Computer Systems ...
Mobile PC's, TEMPEST Processing Units as well full MIL-SPEC
laptop computers. ... The GRiDCASE 1590 is a fully compliant
MIL-SPEC laptop computer which ...
www.griduk.com/ - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

"Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I'm looking for a laptop that will go on a boat. It has
to be somewhat
| rugged but not to bulky. Also,
| Does any know of any rugged cases I could put non rugged
laptop in to make
| it a bit more rugged. It would have to be a case that
allows me to open the
| laptop use it while it's still in the case.
|
| Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could approach
this?

| Thanks
| Jasper

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Any laptop will go on a boat. No laptop is very bulky.

Get a cheap attache case, & foam to line it with, to keep the machine in
if you seriously expect the laptop to take extreme pounding. Get a big
plastic waterproofing bag to put the attache case in. On the boat, store
the thing such that it doesn't get tossed around.

By extreme pounding I mean really extreme; many g's. The kind of stuff
one experiences in very high speed offshore racing, where crew is belted
and helmeted. Laptops are inherently rather rugged; a manufacturer
would have to be suicidal to sell one that needed repair every time it
was dropped or bumped a lamp post.

Jasper Recto wrote:
> I'm looking for a laptop that will go on a boat. It has to be somewhat
> rugged but not to bulky. Also,
> Does any know of any rugged cases I could put non rugged laptop in to make
> it a bit more rugged. It would have to be a case that allows me to open the
> laptop use it while it's still in the case.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could approach this?
>
> Thanks
> Jasper

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I like the dolch unit that bolts to the vehicle floor! neat!

we are looking for older rugged and military computers for the museum's
collection... link below...

--
Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

Please check our web site at
http://www.smecc.org
to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we
buy, and by all means when in Arizona drop in and see us.

address:

coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301

> Rugged Portable Computers
> http://www.dolch.com/html/home_dolch.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Jasper Recto" wrote:
>
> | I'm looking for a laptop that will go on a boat. It has to be somewhat
> | rugged but not to bulky. Also,
> | Does any know of any rugged cases I could put non rugged laptop in to
> make
> | it a bit more rugged. It would have to be a case that allows me to open
> the
> | laptop use it while it's still in the case.
> |
> | Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could approach this?
> |
> | Thanks
> | Jasper

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

In the 70s IBM Fed Sys built a footlocker portable version of the
Series/1 Secure Unix SACDIN node. (Olive drab, of course.) I'm not sure
whether and to what extent it was deployed, or how many were built. If
you can track down some old IBM FSD hands in the Gaithersburg, MD area
(like Bob Crago or Tom Wellington or Brad Clark, all now retired I
believe) there might be an extant example somewhere. IBM FSD went to
Loral some years ago, and Lockheed Martin later bought Loral, so the
trail may be a bit cold. Make that gelid!

ed sharpe wrote:
> I like the dolch unit that bolts to the vehicle floor! neat!
>
> we are looking for older rugged and military computers for the museum's
> collection... link below...

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

the ultimate in rugged and waterresisteant are Toughbooks" from
Panasonic. I watched then drop and pour water over them while they were
running with the hard disk active.

--
Marko Jotic
"Common sense is anything but common".