Wireless hell at school

Using HP Compaq NX9010 laptops with builtin Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN.
OS is WinXP Pro SP2 with all critical updates; drivers all updated.
Using DLink DWL-G700AP (no firmware updates available).

Access point set for no DHCP, LAN is 172.31.(0-3).XXX subnet mask
255.255.252.0.
Laptop has static IP address 172.31.2.XXX.

The problem is:

After entering correct WEP key, XP indicates a very good connection to the AP,
but pings across the wireless fail. Machines did connect before installation
of SP2, and a few still do, but >50% fail in this manner.

I reloaded a machine from scratch, and it worked at home with a Netgear
wireless
router and with DHCP on. But after setting it to an appropriate static
address,
it will connect to the AP but will not pass packets. Wireless properties
show packets being sent from the client, but none received. Sometimes the
machine will start working the next day, but usually not. Please help!
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless hell school

    Lawrence, you say that after entering the correct WEP key, XP indicates a
    good connection, which means that you have a Data Link layer connection. But
    you can't ping, which indicates a layer 3 problem (IP). You say that your
    rebuilt system worked with DHCP on, but not when you assigned the IP address,
    which points again to an IP address problem. I'm not sure why you want
    static IP, but I would suggest using DHCP.

    Tried DHCP, thought it was working but we're back to the same point. Also,
    tried with a different make of laptop (Compaq Presario pre-HP), wireless
    card (Belkin) and OS (Win ME) - failures still occur. I did note that when
    failure occurs, unplugging the power for the AP (or resetting it remotely)
    will allow the station to connect again for some number of times, but the
    situation always returns. I'm down to where the only common factor is the
    APs, and having the teachers unplug APs during class is not an acceptable
    solution. Any ideas?

    "JeffD" wrote:

    > Lawrence, you say that after entering the correct WEP key, XP indicates a
    > good connection, which means that you have a Data Link layer connection. But
    > you can't ping, which indicates a layer 3 problem (IP). You say that your
    > rebuilt system worked with DHCP on, but not when you assigned the IP address,
    > which points again to an IP address problem. I'm not sure why you want
    > static IP, but I would suggest using DHCP.

    Are the wireless coverage range on the AP's overlapping? If so make
    sure you have the AP's configured on different wireless channels. Ex.
    1,6,11. So that none of the overlapping signals are on the same
    channel. If signals overlap on the same channel then that will cause
    weird inconsistent problems similar to yours.

    Jason

    Three APs, channels set up EXACTLY as you described (1,6,11).

    "SpiritBoy" wrote:

    > Are the wireless coverage range on the AP's overlapping? If so make
    > sure you have the AP's configured on different wireless channels. Ex.
    > 1,6,11. So that none of the overlapping signals are on the same
    > channel. If signals overlap on the same channel then that will cause
    > weird inconsistent problems similar to yours.
    >
    > Jason

    Maybe more background info will help.
    LAN side of network is private addressing (172.31.0-3.X, netmask
    255.255.252.0).
    DWL-G700AP DLink access points LAN address static 172.31.1.X
    Three access points every other room in hall, set to CH1,6,11
    Was using static IP addreses for laptops, problem remained after changing to
    DHCP
    "Info bubble" indicates signal good or better - WEP key is correct
    When failed, cannot ping AP (or anything else) from wireless side
    From LAN side, AP web interface indicates proper operation - IP address
    assigned and system name.
    All laptops latest firmware, driver and OS updates installed

    This almost makes me miss Cat5.....

    Larry

Wireless Wireless Networking