Making a SATA drive the boot drive

I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.

XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
it says that there are no drives at all.

I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
this doesn't help.

Any answers, thanks, Bob
39 answers Last reply
More about making sata drive boot drive

    "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >
    > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    > and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot
    > drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the
    > install won't run because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >
    > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
    > but this doesn't help.
    >
    > Any answers, thanks, Bob

    Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
    SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
    enabled in BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS
    that loads after the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space),
    usually as part of the chipset driver package for your motherboard?

    1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown computer,
    remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata drive
    in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
    press F6
    for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o raid
    a floppy
    isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
    select,install
    xp.

    BobV wrote:
    > I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
    > drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >
    > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
    > the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
    > try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
    > it says that there are no drives at all.
    >
    > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    > this doesn't help.
    >
    > Any answers, thanks, Bob

    you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.

    Rick

    "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > BobV wrote:
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
    >> WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
    >> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
    >> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
    >> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
    >> all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
    >> but this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    > you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    > with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    > I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
    >
    > Rick

    Must be unique to Asus then. I have an Abit NF7-S v2 mobo with an
    onboard SATA controller chip and BIOS. I only had one drive which was
    connected to a SATA port on the mobo. I booted using the Windows XP
    installation CD, hit F6 (to later load the SATA driver), it ran through
    part of its install (including loading all the drivers to detect what
    hardware might respond), and then stopped to ask me to insert the SCSI
    driver floppy since no mass storage devices were detected. Inserted the
    driver floppy and completed the Windows install. You have to do the
    same thing if you want to use SCSI drives as your only drives or as your
    boot drive.7

    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    I htave the same board.

    1) to install Windows on SATA, I have to
    disconnect the IDE drive
    Press F6 when asked to, and a diskette
    with the necessary drivers (found on
    the installation CD) in the floppy drive.

    2) Make sure SCSI is set as the first boot
    drive in the BIOS.

    - But I think that in the SATA
    BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
    above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
    your manual.

    "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    OoFY5m24EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > BobV wrote:
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >> SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive.
    >> If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >> because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    >> this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    > you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came with
    > your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need. I have
    > SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
    >
    > Rick

    One way to try:

    Make sure your onboard controller is enabled by jumper(near battery) on your
    motherbaord on the A7N8X Deluxe. Has to be in the 2-3 position I believe, you
    can read the board near jumper, or look in the manual. When installing XP on
    the drive, press F6 during setup and insert diskette with SATA drivers (You
    may have to make one on another computer using the "makedisk" file in the
    driver package available from ASUS website, or your CD), when prompted to do
    so and follow onscreen instructions. Remove disk after it copies necessary
    files, and continue Windows setup. You should have a clean install of XP with
    your SATA drive (which should boot of course). Leave IDE drive out during
    installation to make sure. I recommend to also install Nvidia Unified
    Driver(5.10) package available at nvidia.com immediately after Windows
    installation, as Windows will not have drivers for the board components. Good
    Luck, I just put one very similar together and it works excellent!

    "BobV" wrote:

    > I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
    > drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >
    > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
    > the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
    > try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
    > it says that there are no drives at all.
    >
    > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    > this doesn't help.
    >
    > Any answers, thanks, Bob

    Did you actually set the new drive as master drive and the new one as slave,
    and configure it correctly?

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did you actually set the new drive as master drive and the new one as
    > slave,
    > and configure it correctly?

    SATA drives can be configured as master or slave? Hmm, on the mobos
    that I've used which include an onboard SATA controller (and of the few
    SATA controller cards that I've seen), there is no master/slave
    selection. The hard drive connects to only one SATA port which is *not*
    shared between two drives. You cannot connect 2 drives to one SATA
    port. One SATA drive to one SATA controller via one SATA port. So
    where would master/slave be effected when using SATA?

    If you are using the SATA-PATA adapter to connect an IDE drive to a SATA
    port, you'll need to configure the hard drive however it gets jumpered
    as a single drive on an IDE port (i.e., as a single drive or as a master
    drive, depending on what the hard drive maker requires for their drive).

    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    SATA is newer than XP, so it can not automatically detect these disks.

    Instead, you need to press F6 early in the XP installation (watch the bottom
    of the screen). Then, you need to have the SATA drivers on a floppy. They
    must be on a floppy, not on a CD. The XP installer will take what it needs.
    OR, it will present you with a choice, if there are multiple drivers (e.g.,
    98, 2000, XP); choose XP.

    But, before you even think about installing XP, you need to determine
    whether the SATA controller is also a RAID contoller. My ASUS P4S8X has a
    combined RAID/SATA controller. So, I first needed to make a "RAID array".
    But, I did not want to link two disks, so I used the custom RAID options to
    make an array of one disk. The ASUS manual helped, but only a little about
    this important step.

    An interseting aside: Until I made an array, even the Seagate disk prep
    tools could not see the disk. However, in your case it sounds like your
    motherboard is handling some of this for you, since you mention that XP can
    see the disk, after XP is installed on an IDE disk. Or, it could be that it
    knows that one one SATA disk must be in an array of its own, or maybe you do
    not have a RAID contoller.

    One other item I recall about the installation process: I needed to go into
    the BIOS and set te boot options to include:

    IDE hard drive = none
    other boot device = SCSI/onboard ATA boot

    and this option on the advanced tab:

    onboard ATA device = enable
    onboard ATA device first = yes

    As for master and slave, the concepts do not apply to SATA disks, since they
    are one disk per controller.

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > SATA is newer than XP, so it can not automatically detect these disks.
    >
    > Instead, you need to press F6 early in the XP installation (watch the
    > bottom of the screen). Then, you need to have the SATA drivers on a
    > floppy. They must be on a floppy, not on a CD. The XP installer will
    > take what it needs. OR, it will present you with a choice, if there are
    > multiple drivers (e.g., 98, 2000, XP); choose XP.

    I am doing this

    > But, before you even think about installing XP, you need to determine
    > whether the SATA controller is also a RAID contoller. My ASUS P4S8X has a
    > combined RAID/SATA controller. So, I first needed to make a "RAID array".
    > But, I did not want to link two disks, so I used the custom RAID options
    > to make an array of one disk. The ASUS manual helped, but only a little
    > about this important step.

    This is difficult to tell, but I think it is a combined RAID/SATA
    controller. I see no way to make a RAID array with only one disk. There is
    no option to make a custom RAID array. The ASUS manual is no help at all.

    > An interseting aside: Until I made an array, even the Seagate disk prep
    > tools could not see the disk. However, in your case it sounds like your
    > motherboard is handling some of this for you, since you mention that XP
    > can see the disk, after XP is installed on an IDE disk. Or, it could be
    > that it knows that one one SATA disk must be in an array of its own, or
    > maybe you do not have a RAID contoller.

    Not sure

    > One other item I recall about the installation process: I needed to go
    > into the BIOS and set te boot options to include:
    >
    > IDE hard drive = none
    > other boot device = SCSI/onboard ATA boot
    >
    > and this option on the advanced tab:
    >
    > onboard ATA device = enable
    > onboard ATA device first = yes

    I have none of these options available in BIOS. I can set the first boot
    device to SCSI, but then the system hangs when trying to boot.

    Thanks, Bob

    "tcmiked" <tcmiked@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > One way to try:
    >
    > Make sure your onboard controller is enabled by jumper(near battery) on
    > your
    > motherbaord on the A7N8X Deluxe. Has to be in the 2-3 position I believe,
    > you
    > can read the board near jumper, or look in the manual. When installing XP
    > on
    > the drive, press F6 during setup and insert diskette with SATA drivers
    > (You
    > may have to make one on another computer using the "makedisk" file in the
    > driver package available from ASUS website, or your CD), when prompted to
    > do
    > so and follow onscreen instructions. Remove disk after it copies necessary
    > files, and continue Windows setup. You should have a clean install of XP
    > with
    > your SATA drive (which should boot of course). Leave IDE drive out during
    > installation to make sure. I recommend to also install Nvidia Unified
    > Driver(5.10) package available at nvidia.com immediately after Windows
    > installation, as Windows will not have drivers for the board components.
    > Good
    > Luck, I just put one very similar together and it works excellent!

    I have done all of this with the exception of installing the NVIDIA Unified
    driver(5.10) package with no luck at all. When I leave out the IDE drive,
    XP install just says that it can find no hard drives and can not continue.

    > "BobV" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >> SATA
    >> drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >> and
    >> the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If
    >> try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >> because
    >> it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    >> this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob

    "_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >>SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive.
    >> If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >> because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    >> this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >>

    > Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the SATA
    > ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller enabled in
    > BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS that loads after
    > the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space), usually as part of
    > the chipset driver package for your motherboard?

    I can find no way to configure the boot drive to use the SATA ports in BIOS,
    I see no way to enable the SATA controller in BIOS.
    No I did not install the SATA BIOS, as I am not sure what or where it is.
    It certainly is not mentioned in the MOBO manual.
    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > 1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown
    > computer,
    > remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata
    > drive
    > in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
    > press F6
    > for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o raid
    > a floppy
    > isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
    > select,install
    > xp.

    I have done all of this, and the XP Install just stops and says that it can
    find no hard drives and then quits.

    > "BobV" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >> SATA
    >> drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >> and
    >> the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If
    >> try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >> because
    >> it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    >> this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "GF" <x@noone.com> wrote in message

    > I have the same board.
    >
    > 1) to install Windows on SATA, I have to
    > disconnect the IDE drive
    > Press F6 when asked to, and a diskette
    > with the necessary drivers (found on
    > the installation CD) in the floppy drive.

    I have done this.

    > 2) Make sure SCSI is set as the first boot
    > drive in the BIOS.

    I have done this.

    > - But I think that in the SATA
    > BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
    > above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
    > your manual.

    SATA BIOS??? Not sure where this is and how to activate the HD.
    Item 5.5.1 in the manual just refers to physical installation, and RAID
    sets.

    > "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > OoFY5m24EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> BobV wrote:
    >>> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >>> SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>>
    >>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >>> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot
    >>> drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install
    >>> won't run because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>>
    >>> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
    >>> but this doesn't help.
    >>>
    >>> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >> you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came with
    >> your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need. I have
    >> SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
    >>
    >> Rick

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Why would you need 2 drives?

    BobV wrote:
    > I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    > SATA
    > drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >
    > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
    > the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If
    > try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    > because
    > it says that there are no drives at all.
    >
    > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    > this doesn't help.
    >
    > Any answers, thanks, Bob

    you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.

    Rick
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Rick wrote:
    > BobV wrote:
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
    >> WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
    >> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
    >> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
    >> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
    >> all. I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA
    >> drive but this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >>

    > you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    > with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    > I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
    >
    > Rick

    Do you check your drivel before posting?! SATA is *NOT* RAID. I have a
    system here with an Asus board running a single SATA drive. You do *NOT* I
    repeat do *NOT* require more than one drive for SATA any more than you did
    for PATA.
    on salads.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I must disagree. A floppy definitely is required.
    There are no drivers for that SATA controller on
    the Windows install cd.

    "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    uHY5UQ$4EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> 1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown
    >> computer,
    >> remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata
    >> drive
    >> in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
    >> press F6
    >> for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o
    >> raid
    >> a floppy
    >> isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
    >> select,install
    >> xp.
    >
    > I have done all of this, and the XP Install just stops and says that it
    > can find no hard drives and then quits.
    >>
    >> "BobV" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >>> SATA
    >>> drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>>
    >>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >>> and
    >>> the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive.
    >>> If I
    >>> try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >>> because
    >>> it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>>
    >>> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
    >>> but
    >>> this doesn't help.
    >>>
    >>> Any answers, thanks, Bob

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    After the computer boots but before Windows starts
    a message will appear at bottom of screen
    asking you to press Ctl+C.

    Another point is you must make sure your
    SATA drive is connected to SATA connector 1.
    (not 2).

    >> - But I think that in the SATA
    >> BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
    >> above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
    >> your manual.
    >
    > SATA BIOS??? Not sure where this is and how to activate the HD.
    > Item 5.5.1 in the manual just refers to physical installation, and RAID
    > sets.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I am not sure who you are disagreeing with, but not me. I have used the
    floppy, and installed the latest drivers from WD, but it works the same
    either way.

    >I must disagree. A floppy definitely is required.
    > There are no drivers for that SATA controller on
    > the Windows install cd.
    >
    > "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > uHY5UQ$4EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> 1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown
    >>> computer,
    >>> remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata
    >>> drive
    >>> in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
    >>> press F6
    >>> for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o
    >>> raid
    >>> a floppy
    >>> isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
    >>> select,install
    >>> xp.
    >>
    >> I have done all of this, and the XP Install just stops and says that it
    >> can find no hard drives and then quits.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I don't get a "press Ctl+C" when booting up.
    I do have the SATA drive connected to connector 1.

    > After the computer boots but before Windows starts
    > a message will appear at bottom of screen
    > asking you to press Ctl+C.
    >
    > Another point is you must make sure your
    > SATA drive is connected to SATA connector 1.
    > (not 2).
    >

    >>> - But I think that in the SATA
    >>> BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
    >>> above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
    >>> your manual.
    >>
    >> SATA BIOS??? Not sure where this is and how to activate the HD.
    >> Item 5.5.1 in the manual just refers to physical installation, and RAID
    >> sets.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Quick checklist:

    1) Is there native S-ATA support?

    Some chipsets natively support S-ATA, and in turn are natively
    supported by XP. Others have additional controller chips added to
    confer S-ATA support to a mobo chipset that otherwise lacks this.

    The latter can be a problem if BIOS doesn't see the added controller
    as bootable, and/or XP doesn't natively support it. It is in this
    situation that you may also have to "enable the S-ATA BIOS".

    Early in the XP installation process, there's a prompt to keypress if
    you need "special" drivers for the controller of the HD that the OS is
    to see at boot time. You are then expected to provide these drivers,
    controversially on diskette. The installation process then renames
    these to a generic OS-known name in C:\ so that they can be used early
    in the boot process. Without this, ?no joy.

    2) Is S-ATA enabled in CMOS?

    3) What S-ATA vs. UIDE relationship is defined in CMOS?

    Many motherboards with S-ATA will also have UIDE, and these can be set
    to interact in various ways; usually...
    - legacy mode; S-ATA overlay UIDE identities
    - enhanced mode; can use all UIDE and all S-ATA
    - RAID; both S-ATA used as a single RAID unit

    Older OSs such as Win98 may require legacy mode, where you can use one
    OR the other of S-ATA and corresponding UIDE "position". For example,
    S-ATA 0 would overlay UIDE Primary Master, while S-ATA 1 may overlay
    either UIDE Primary Slave or UIDE Secondary Master.

    In this situation, if you had a UIDE primary Master and S-ATA 0 they
    would clash, a S-ATA 0 would boot before UIDE Secondary Master, and a
    UIDE Primary Master would boot before S-ATA 1.

    If you're using enhanced mode, then you may be able to use all UIDE
    and S-ATA identities for separate devices at the same time. In this
    case, whether S-ATA or UIDE boots first would likely be an explicit
    setting in CMOS, as would be the case for S-ATA RAID.

    Enabling S-ATA RAID adds the requirements of RAID, and may also cause
    a BIOS extension to become active during POST.

    4) What is the boot device order?

    5) Are your S-ATA cabled correctly?

    Careful with power connections in particular. Many S-ATA HDs offer
    both new S-ATA power and old legacy power connectors. Don't use both,
    and don't use legacy if you plan on hot- or cool-swapping (assuming
    those are supported at all, they will require S-ATA power connection).

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    Who is General Failure and
    why is he reading my disk?
    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote...

    >> Instead, you need to press F6 early in the XP installation
    >
    > I am doing this
    >>
    >> But, before you even think about installing XP, you need to determine whether
    >> the SATA controller is also a RAID contoller. My ASUS P4S8X has a combined
    >> RAID/SATA controller. So, I first needed to make a "RAID array".
    >
    > This is difficult to tell, but I think it is a combined RAID/SATA controller.
    > I see no way to make a RAID array with only one disk. There is no option to
    > make a custom RAID array. The ASUS manual is no help at all.

    I believe you still have to "initialize" or "define" the SATA array using the
    RAID controller BIOS. Check your motherboard and/or controller documentation
    for the info on how to do it for a single HD. If you don't have the docs, and
    there are no auto-configure or single-HD options apparent, experiment a bit and
    set it for RAID 0. My Promise SATA controller docs say a "striped" array can be
    created with 1, 2, 3, or HDs.

    Also, depending on your motherboard BIOS, you may have to set your IDE HD as
    Slave instead of Master to allow the SATA HD to boot.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote

    > I can find no way to configure the boot drive to use the SATA ports in BIOS,
    > I see no way to enable the SATA controller in BIOS.
    > No I did not install the SATA BIOS, as I am not sure what or where it is. It
    > certainly is not mentioned in the MOBO manual.

    If SATA is on the motherboard, the controller has a BIOS in the chipset. FWIW,
    Promise uses Ctrl-F to get into the "FastBuild" SATA BIOS utility during the
    boot sequence.

    Set your motherboard BIOS for "verbose" mode, or whatever the mode is to get a
    full report on the screen of what it's doing on boot. That should slow it down
    so you can see what's going on...
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > "_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in message
    >> "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
    >>>WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>>
    >>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
    >>> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
    >>> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
    >>> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
    >>> all.
    >>>
    >>> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA
    >>> drive but this doesn't help.
    >>>
    >>> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >>>

    >> Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
    >> SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
    >> enabled in BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS
    >> that loads after the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM
    >> space), usually as part of the chipset driver package for your
    >> motherboard?
    >>
    > I can find no way to configure the boot drive to use the SATA ports in
    > BIOS,
    > I see no way to enable the SATA controller in BIOS.
    > No I did not install the SATA BIOS, as I am not sure what or where it
    > is. It certainly is not mentioned in the MOBO manual.
    >> --
    >> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    >> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    From
    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/e1322_a7n8x-e_deluxe.pdf,
    page 4-16, the available devices for a boot drive are:

    Floppy
    LS120
    HDD-0 (first physically discovered hard drive)
    SCSI
    CDROM
    HDD-1 (second physically discovered hard drive)
    HDD-2
    HDD-3
    Zip
    USB-FDD
    USB-Zip
    USB-CDROM
    USB-HDD
    LAN
    Disabled

    I don't see SATA mentioned although the mobo uses the Silicon Image SATA
    controller chip. So my guess is that you select SCSI. SCSI is actually
    handled as a generic BIOS-supported device rather than just for SCSI
    devices. SCSI BIOS loads after the system BIOS, as do IDE controller
    cards and SATA controllers and cards.

    It is possible that this motherboard will not support booting from a
    SATA drive and instead only supports RAID using SATA devices. I noticed
    the SATA ports are labelled "SATA_RAID1" and "SATA_RAID2". I have two
    SATA ports on my Abit mobo and they are just labelled as "SATA1" and
    SATA2" although they can be used for single drives or used with RAID. I
    have already used a lone SATA port with one hard disk as a bootable
    Windows XP drive. Page 2-20 of your Asus manual says:

    "These Serial ATA connectors support SATA hard disks that you may
    configure as a RAID set."

    Most onboard SCSI and SATA controllers don't let you create a RAID set
    from existing basic volumes without destroying their contents. I
    suppose you could try to use the SATA BIOS setup screen on bootup to
    configure a RAID set and then install Windows on it, but you'll need 2
    SATA drives (for RAID-0 or -1).

    You might be screwed in trying to use a lone non-RAIDed SATA drive as a
    boot drive and will get stuck with having to use an IDE drive to boot
    your system. Perhaps someone in the alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus
    with the same mobo can help you if they figured out a workaround.

    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for the great reply and I will go to the
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus
    and see if I can find a workaround.

    I did make the first boot device SCSI, but didn't help of course, and the
    trying to do the RAID thing was useless without two disks.

> [...]
    > drive. Page 2-20 of your Asus manual says:
    >
    > "These Serial ATA connectors support SATA hard disks that you may
    > configure as a RAID set."
    >
    > Most onboard SCSI and SATA controllers don't let you create a RAID set
    > from existing basic volumes without destroying their contents. I suppose
    > you could try to use the SATA BIOS setup screen on bootup to configure a
    > RAID set and then install Windows on it, but you'll need 2 SATA drives
    > (for RAID-0 or -1).
    >
    > You might be screwed in trying to use a lone non-RAIDed SATA drive as a
    > boot drive and will get stuck with having to use an IDE drive to boot your
    > system. Perhaps someone in the alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus with the
    > same mobo can help you if they figured out a workaround.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "_Vanguard_" wrote...

    > Most onboard SCSI and SATA controllers don't let you create a RAID set from
    > existing basic volumes without destroying their contents.

    True for RAID 0, but not necessarily for RAID 1. If 1 HD in a mirrored set
    fails, the RAID controller usually has a method of mirroring a replacement drive
    using the remaining good drive.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote...

    > SATA BIOS??? Not sure where this is and how to activate the HD.
    > Item 5.5.1 in the manual just refers to physical installation, and RAID sets.

    Read the info on RAID sets carefully. You may find that a single HD is
    installed as a RAID set using one of the procedures in that chapter.

    Do the MoBo docs say what brand of SATA RAID controller it is? If so, check
    their web site for further docs.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sometime on, or about Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:08:02 -0800, BobV wrote:

    > I don't get a "press Ctl+C" when booting up.
    > I do have the SATA drive connected to connector 1.

    It's not ctl/c, it's F6. Press F6 when it prompts you for SCSI / RAID
    drivers. Be sure to have a floppy disk with the latest SiliconImage drivers
    on it. Eventually Windows will use those drivers and then can recognize the
    SATA drive.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sometime on, or about Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:50:06 -0800, BobV wrote:

    > "_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in message
    >> "BobV" <robowa@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >>>SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>>
    >>> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >>> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive.
    >>> If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >>> because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>>
    >>> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    >>> this doesn't help.
    >>>
    >>> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >>>

    >> Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the SATA
    >> ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller enabled in
    >> BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS that loads after
    >> the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space), usually as part of
    >> the chipset driver package for your motherboard?
    >>
    > I can find no way to configure the boot drive to use the SATA ports in BIOS,
    > I see no way to enable the SATA controller in BIOS.
    > No I did not install the SATA BIOS, as I am not sure what or where it is.
    > It certainly is not mentioned in the MOBO manual.

    Which version of your BIOS do you have? I currently have 1013 on my ASUS
    A7N8X-E which has a option to choose between scsi and sata (raid) bootup
    disk. I think 1012 also has that same choice. You should also have scsi
    set up as a bootdisk, not any hdd choices.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote...

    >> I don't get a "press Ctl+C" when booting up.
    >
    > It's not ctl/c, it's F6. Press F6 when it prompts you for SCSI / RAID
    > drivers.

    He's looking for the SATA controller BIOS here...
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sometime on, or about Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:49:02 -0800, John R Weiss wrote:

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote...
    >>
    >>> I don't get a "press Ctl+C" when booting up.
    >>
    >> It's not ctl/c, it's F6. Press F6 when it prompts you for SCSI / RAID
    >> drivers.
    >
    > He's looking for the SATA controller BIOS here...

    But if he has just one drive, why would he need to access it? I thought
    that was for setting up RAID.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote...

    >> He's looking for the SATA controller BIOS here...
    >
    > But if he has just one drive, why would he need to access it? I thought
    > that was for setting up RAID.

    Because some (if not all) SATA RAID controllers require the drive setup be
    defined in BIOS, regardless of the number of drives connected.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Im afraid i have to disagree Rick, you do not need two drives to make SATA
    work, only if you want to use RAID.

    After much fuss i have managed to clone my original PATA HDD onto my SATA,
    and then rebooted, removing the IDE drive.
    Windows starts to successfully boot, and gets as far as the blue "Welcome"
    screen, then does nothing.

    Any suggestions or ideas?
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I agree that you must do a "repair" installation. This will permit you to
    do the F6-thing and give the XP setup routines drivers for the SATA
    controller. Unlike palin IDE (ATA) disks, XP has no native support for
    SATA.

    Note that the drivers are for the controller, not for the disk, so they come
    from the motherboard maker, not the disk maker. They must be on a floppy.
    If they are on a CD, copy them to a floppy. If you have no floppy, get one;
    XP is not flexible in this area. It is usually worth reading the
    motherboard manual AND the readme.txt file that often comes with the
    drivers. In the case of my motherboard (ASUS P4S8X) I had to not only copy
    the drivers and INF files, but something called "TXTSETUP.OEM".

    Links about repairing XP (i.e., repair installation):

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,00.asp

    "joey" <joey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Im afraid i have to disagree Rick, you do not need two drives to make SATA
    > work, only if you want to use RAID.
    >
    > After much fuss i have managed to clone my original PATA HDD onto my SATA,
    > and then rebooted, removing the IDE drive.
    > Windows starts to successfully boot, and gets as far as the blue "Welcome"
    > screen, then does nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas?
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You probably will have to update/repair
    your Windows installation.

    (Depending on your BIOS/Mainb oard
    you may have to have your SATA drivers on a disquette,
    for the SATA Hd to be recognized.)

    Do not choose first instance of « repair » option.
    After you get to Install Windows, you should be
    offered that choice.

    It worked for me.

    "joey" <joey@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    CD1938F4-9901-493A-B208-E187ABD10C4C@microsoft.com...
    > Im afraid i have to disagree Rick, you do not need two drives to make SATA
    > work, only if you want to use RAID.
    >
    > After much fuss i have managed to clone my original PATA HDD onto my SATA,
    > and then rebooted, removing the IDE drive.
    > Windows starts to successfully boot, and gets as far as the blue "Welcome"
    > screen, then does nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas?
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I agree with all above. My Abit NF7 came with the Silicon Image 3112/3114
    drivers on a seperate floppy which I shoved in (having pressed F6 when
    promted during XP Pro installation) - and no probs. I suggest that you go
    to your mobo site to get the right disk. If you search the web you should
    be able to find a file set that you can copy onto a floppy.

    Hope this helps (from a non-expert!!!!)

    Nick

    > I agree that you must do a "repair" installation. This will permit you to
    > do the F6-thing and give the XP setup routines drivers for the SATA
    > controller. Unlike palin IDE (ATA) disks, XP has no native support for
    > SATA.
    >
    > Note that the drivers are for the controller, not for the disk, so they
    come
    > from the motherboard maker, not the disk maker. They must be on a floppy.
    > If they are on a CD, copy them to a floppy. If you have no floppy, get
    one;
    > XP is not flexible in this area. It is usually worth reading the
    > motherboard manual AND the readme.txt file that often comes with the
    > drivers. In the case of my motherboard (ASUS P4S8X) I had to not only
    copy
    > the drivers and INF files, but something called "TXTSETUP.OEM".
    >
    > Links about repairing XP (i.e., repair installation):
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    >

    > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
    >

    > http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,00.asp
    >

    > "joey" <joey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Im afraid i have to disagree Rick, you do not need two drives to make
    SATA
    > > work, only if you want to use RAID.
    > >
    > > After much fuss i have managed to clone my original PATA HDD onto my
    SATA,
    > > and then rebooted, removing the IDE drive.
    > > Windows starts to successfully boot, and gets as far as the blue
    "Welcome"
    > > screen, then does nothing.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions or ideas?

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I have set up RAID sets of various types of motherboards many times in
    the past and have had NO significant problems but this time I am
    experiencing VERY severe problems with this model of ASUS motherboard.

    I have a quantity of 10 identical boards, each has 3 gigabytes of
    memory, an Athlon XP 3000+ processor, ATI 9800 All in Wonder video card
    AND for hard drives each has two identical IBM, now HITACHI,
    HDS722525VLSA80 Serial ATA hard drives, these are 250 GB serial ATA
    drives with 8 megabytes of cache. I noticed some very difficult
    problems while attempting to set up my first system. I checked to see
    if the same problems existed on two other boards and they all turned
    out to have the same problems. I am NOT going to bother to check all 7
    other boards, I assume that the problem is the same with each one.

    I am going to make this discussion extremely clear with eacting
    references to what is in the motherboard reference manual and the EXACT
    messages that I see on the screen when I attempt to follow steps.

    On this particular model of board when you want to have RAID 0 or RAID
    1 you must enable the Serial ATA jumper as noted in Section 2.6.6 on
    page 2-17 of the motherbaord manual. Failure to take this step will
    not allow the Silicon Image 3112 controller chip to be active. This
    step is completed properly.

    Next, when you boot up, you will see the following message on the
    screen:

    SiI 3112A SATARaid BIOS Version 4.2.47
    Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Silicon Image, Inc.

    Press <Ctrl S> or F4 to enter RAID utility

    When I press either Ctrl S or F4 REPEATEDLY this does NOT allow me to
    enter the RAID Configuration Utility except for 1 out of approximately
    10 boot up attempts. On the one out of 10 times that I am able to
    enter the RAID Configuration Utility, the RAID Configuration Utility
    does not recognize the presence of the two drives that are present.
    Only one drive is recognized as being present. Creating a RAID Set
    does not work because only one drive is recognized as being present and
    if you select Resolve Conflicts you get the message that there are not
    any conflicts. I do not know why the RAID Configuration Utility (see
    Section 5.5.2 on page 5-14 of the motherboard manual) does NOT seem to
    work as shown or work in a way that I KNOW it should work.

    I know that each one of these drives and the associated cables and
    power supply (fancy model from PC Power and Cooling) are working
    perfectly since I have tested them on other working systems. What I do
    not know yet is whether or not there is some inherent problem with
    IBM/Hitachi drives or whether or not this drive size is too large for
    this RAID controller chip or what. The system does recognize the one
    drive properly. I have not had a chance to use a smaller size in GB
    IBM/Hitachi matched pair or a matched pair of drives from another
    manufacturer such as Seagate. I do not use Maxtor drives and I
    DEFINITELY do NOT use Western Digital drives.

    If I attempt to load Windows XP Professional SP2 on the 1 SATA drive
    that is recognized I can do this by pressing S and having a setup disk
    in the floppy drive that has drivers for the Silicon Image 3112
    controller chip. Windows XP Professional sees the 2 drives as separate
    drives and you can format each one individually but each one is separate
    and you can load the operating system on only one drive and the Windows
    XP does not see the two drives as one drive with an approximate size of
    500 gigabytes. The installation has never completed properly after
    multiple tweakings. After the installation thinks that it is complete
    (but it never completed properly) I CANNOT boot from the drive onto
    which I installed the operating system.

    Here is what the screen looks like:

    Windows XP Professional Setup

    The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned
    space on this computer.

    Use the UP and Down ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
    *To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
    *To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
    *To delete the selected partition, press D.

    239367 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on si3112r [MBR]
    C: Partition1 [NTFS] 239359 MB (239287 MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB

    239367 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 1 on si3112r [MBR]
    D: Partition1 [NTFS] 239359 MB (239287 MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB

    If I leave the 2 SATA drives alone and place an IDE drive on the
    primary IDE drive controller and load the operating system on the IDE
    drive after I load all appropriate drivers I can see the 2 separate
    SATA drives and I can load programs and data on them and I can
    partition them and do whatever I want with them, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT I
    WANT TO DO WITH THESE 10 SYSTEMS. I want the operating system, all
    programs and all data to appear on the 2 SATA drives as a STRIPED RAID
    set.

    I am sending a copy of this discussion of problems to both ASUS and
    Silicon Image.

    If there is anyone out there who has some information about what is
    going on with this particular model of board and the problems that I am
    facing I would like to hear about it. I want to know if this is a
    defective product that I cannot get to work properly no matter what I
    do. I DO NOT want to have to spend 10 hours of my time looking at the
    BIOS only to independently determine that there is some insurrmountable
    problem that will keep me from having a FUNCTIONAL STRIPED RAID SET.

    --
    Chris PLACAK
    Chris PLACAK's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7291

    You have 10 identical M/B's from Asus. What model? Since they have 50-100
    (or more) different boards over the years this may be important information
    to anyone who may be able to assist you.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Chris PLACAK" <Chris.PLACAK.1qhr3b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > partition them and do whatever I want with them, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT I
    > WANT TO DO WITH THESE 10 SYSTEMS. I want the operating system, all
    > programs and all data to appear on the 2 SATA drives as a STRIPED RAID
    > set.
    >
    > I am sending a copy of this discussion of problems to both ASUS and
    > Silicon Image.
    >
    > If there is anyone out there who has some information about what is
    > going on with this particular model of board and the problems that I am
    > facing I would like to hear about it. I want to know if this is a
    > defective product that I cannot get to work properly no matter what I
    > do. I DO NOT want to have to spend 10 hours of my time looking at the
    > BIOS only to independently determine that there is some insurrmountable
    > problem that will keep me from having a FUNCTIONAL STRIPED RAID SET.

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Apart from mobo, model/version which you dont mention
    Asus have had problems with Sil and bios versions on at least one mobo that
    I know about, apparently cured by a bios update.
    Niether do you mention whether you are using the Assus supplied Sil driver,
    or driver direct from Sil.

SATA Boot Windows XP