Problem in installing CD R/W drive on Windows XP Home Edit..

Hello,

I've a Compaq Pressario PC with Windows XP Home Edition (OEM). The system
came with one CD read drive. I want to install a Sony CD Read/Write drive.
1. On trying installing the drive, Windows explorer didn't detect the drive.
2. The CMOS setup detected the CD drive.
3. Even the device manager detected it properly. But Windows Explorer never
showed up the drive.
4. If I typed e:\ at the Windows Explorer address bar, it showed the
contents of the CD in the new drive but on closing the window and opeing
again, the E drive disappeared.
5. The drive can be accessed at DOS prompt (command line).

Please help me to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Gandhar Gokhale
1 answer Last reply
More about problem installing drive windows home edit

    Shutdown and recheck the cable connections (power and data), consider a new
    cable. Also, recheck your jumper settings. Reboot.

    If still not okay, open device manager locate and delete/uninstall the
    drive, then reboot. O/S will identify and install drivers.

    r.

    "Gandhar" <Gandhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've a Compaq Pressario PC with Windows XP Home Edition (OEM). The system
    > came with one CD read drive. I want to install a Sony CD Read/Write drive.
    > 1. On trying installing the drive, Windows explorer didn't detect the
    > drive.
    > 2. The CMOS setup detected the CD drive.
    > 3. Even the device manager detected it properly. But Windows Explorer
    > never
    > showed up the drive.
    > 4. If I typed e:\ at the Windows Explorer address bar, it showed the
    > contents of the CD in the new drive but on closing the window and opeing
    > again, the E drive disappeared.
    > 5. The drive can be accessed at DOS prompt (command line).
    >
    > Please help me to fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Gandhar Gokhale

Windows Explorer CD-Rom Windows XP