usb drive not shown

hi,

i am using WinXP, sp1.

i recently purchased an external 'mini' usb drive. it is a Firefly from
Smartdisk. the drive seems to work fine. i can see it when i rite-clik my
computer|manage|disk management. the drive shows as disk 2, says it is
online & healthy. i assigned drive L to it.

if i go to dos i can type 'L:' and get to the drive, even 'copy c:\.' and
copy bunches of stuff to it.

but i cannot seem to 'see' it thru windows. my computer shows lots of
drives (my 2 internal drives and their partitions c,d,e,f,w,z), several
mapped network drives g,h,j,p,q and my dvd & cd roms r & s. but no 'L'. i
noticed a similar problem recently and posted about it, with no reply yet,
when i mapped a network drive to 'K:'. it too doesnt show as an available
driver altho i can access it via dos.

can someone explain how to fix this? its almost as if Windows is not
letting me use certain letters, but i have no clue which i can or cant.
when i chose the 'L' monicker for the drive it came from a windows
assignment picklist.

thanks.

jim

Have you installed and used TweakUI ?? In it, there'a a possibility to hide
drive letters..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"jim sturtz" <jim@sturtzs.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> hi,
>
> i am using WinXP, sp1.
>
> i recently purchased an external 'mini' usb drive. it is a Firefly from
> Smartdisk. the drive seems to work fine. i can see it when i rite-clik
my
> computer|manage|disk management. the drive shows as disk 2, says it is
> online & healthy. i assigned drive L to it.
>
> if i go to dos i can type 'L:' and get to the drive, even 'copy c:\.' and
> copy bunches of stuff to it.
>
> but i cannot seem to 'see' it thru windows. my computer shows lots of
> drives (my 2 internal drives and their partitions c,d,e,f,w,z), several
> mapped network drives g,h,j,p,q and my dvd & cd roms r & s. but no 'L'.
> noticed a similar problem recently and posted about it, with no reply yet,
> when i mapped a network drive to 'K:'. it too doesnt show as an available
> driver altho i can access it via dos.
>
> can someone explain how to fix this? its almost as if Windows is not
> letting me use certain letters, but i have no clue which i can or cant.
> when i chose the 'L' monicker for the drive it came from a windows
> assignment picklist.
>
> thanks.
>
> jim

tom,

seems like that may have been the problem. i have TweakUI installed. i do
not recall 'unchecking' any particular drives letters, but the L drive wasnt
checked so i did so. when i looked at my computer then, the USB drive as L:
now shows up. TUI diddles the registry settings i believe, any idea where
this is in it?

thanks.

jim

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you installed and used TweakUI ?? In it, there'a a possibility to
hide
> drive letters..
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "jim sturtz" <jim@sturtzs.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > hi,
> >
> > i am using WinXP, sp1.
> >
> > i recently purchased an external 'mini' usb drive. it is a Firefly from
> > Smartdisk. the drive seems to work fine. i can see it when i rite-clik
> my
> > computer|manage|disk management. the drive shows as disk 2, says it is
> > online & healthy. i assigned drive L to it.
> >
> > if i go to dos i can type 'L:' and get to the drive, even 'copy c:\.'
and
> > copy bunches of stuff to it.
> >
> > but i cannot seem to 'see' it thru windows. my computer shows lots of
> > drives (my 2 internal drives and their partitions c,d,e,f,w,z), several
> > mapped network drives g,h,j,p,q and my dvd & cd roms r & s. but no 'L'.
> > noticed a similar problem recently and posted about it, with no reply
yet,
> > when i mapped a network drive to 'K:'. it too doesnt show as an
available
> > driver altho i can access it via dos.
> >
> > can someone explain how to fix this? its almost as if Windows is not
> > letting me use certain letters, but i have no clue which i can or cant.
> > when i chose the 'L' monicker for the drive it came from a windows
> > assignment picklist.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > jim

Me? Not a clue as to where in the reg it does this stuff...