GA-8KNXP + IT8212 RAID doesnt pass S.M.A.R.T. info

I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the IT8212
RAID controller.
HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver 1.7.1.92.
Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a way ?

Regards Ronald
18 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp it8212 raid doesnt pass info

    "Ronald" <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote in message
    >I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the IT8212
    >RAID controller.
    > HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver 1.7.1.92.
    > Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a way ?
    >
    > Regards Ronald
    The ITE controller is seen by the system as a scsi device
    Regards
    Denis

    Denis Fitzgibbon wrote:
    > "Ronald" <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote in message
    >> I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the
    >> IT8212 RAID controller.
    >> HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver
    >> 1.7.1.92. Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a
    >> way ?

    > The ITE controller is seen by the system as a scsi device

    True. And S.M.A.R.T. is a specific IDE feature right ? So it will never
    work?
    Bummer!

    Ronald

    Ronald wrote:
    > Denis Fitzgibbon wrote:
    >> "Ronald" <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote in message
    >>> I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the
    >>> IT8212 RAID controller.
    >>> HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver
    >>> 1.7.1.92. Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a
    >>> way ?
    >
    >> The ITE controller is seen by the system as a scsi device
    >
    > True. And S.M.A.R.T. is a specific IDE feature right ? So it will
    > never work?
    > Bummer!
    >
    > Ronald

    However, like you I thought that SMART was not working, but recently when
    one of my two drives on a RAID connector developed a 'SMART fault' an error
    was logged in the windows XP event manager. Further checking following
    booting from the Maxtor DOS utility disk, confirmed the SMART error.

    John.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Bioboffin wrote:
    > Ronald wrote:
    >> Denis Fitzgibbon wrote:
    >>> "Ronald" <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The ITE controller is seen by the system as a scsi device
    >>
    >> True. And S.M.A.R.T. is a specific IDE feature right ? So it will
    >> never work?
    >> Bummer!
    >>
    >> Ronald
    >
    > However, like you I thought that SMART was not working, but recently
    > when one of my two drives on a RAID connector developed a 'SMART
    > fault' an error was logged in the windows XP event manager. Further
    > checking following booting from the Maxtor DOS utility disk,
    > confirmed the SMART error.
    > John.

    Promissing !
    Does this RAID contoller you are using show up in Windows XP device manager
    as a SCSI/RAID controller or as an IDE controller?
    What contoller is it, on board a GIGA mobo or a seperate adapter ?
    Have you tried third party monitor programs if they can access the SMART
    info? Speedfan 4.1x is my favourite, not alone for SMART info.

    Regards, Ronald
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Ronald wrote:
    > Bioboffin wrote:
    >> Ronald wrote:

    >>> True. And S.M.A.R.T. is a specific IDE feature right ? So it will
    >>> never work?
    >>> Bummer!
    >>>
    >>> Ronald
    >>
    >> However, like you I thought that SMART was not working, but recently
    >> when one of my two drives on a RAID connector developed a 'SMART
    >> fault' an error was logged in the windows XP event manager. Further
    >> checking following booting from the Maxtor DOS utility disk,
    >> confirmed the SMART error.
    >> John.
    >
    > Promissing !
    > Does this RAID contoller you are using show up in Windows XP device
    > manager as a SCSI/RAID controller or as an IDE controller?
    > What contoller is it, on board a GIGA mobo or a seperate adapter ?
    > Have you tried third party monitor programs if they can access the
    > SMART info? Speedfan 4.1x is my favourite, not alone for SMART info.
    >
    > Regards, Ronald

    I'm using a GA-8KNXP revision 2. At the time I was using the ICH5R Sata RAID
    controller, although now, for various reasons I have changed to the Silicon
    Image controller. Both show(ed) up in Device Manager as SCSI disk device.
    Both are on-board controllers. I haven't used third party monitor programs.
    This is my home machine, which is reasonably well backed up (once a week),
    and security is not my major consideration. If it were, I wouldn't use RAID
    0. I regard the machine as one which I like to experiment on. It is very
    stable, however.

    John.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:03:28 +0100, "Ronald"
    <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

    >I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the IT8212
    >RAID controller.

    This <http://support.wdc.com/download/windlg/WinDLG.zip> works on the
    three WDs and one Seagate drives I have attached to the ITE controller
    on my 8KNXP. .
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:03:28 +0100, "Ronald"
    <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

    >I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the IT8212
    >RAID controller.
    >HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver 1.7.1.92.
    >Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a way ?
    >
    >Regards Ronald

    Maxtor don't have SMART from what I have read..

    My Seagates work OK..

    Try Speedfan and see what you get
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    William Bell wrote:

    > Maxtor don't have SMART from what I have read..

    You have read wrong. For example:

    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/diamondmax_10_data_sheet.pdf

    (look for the SMART logo at the bottom)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    FoggyBottom wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:03:28 +0100, "Ronald"
    > <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the
    >> IT8212 RAID controller.
    >
    > This <http://support.wdc.com/download/windlg/WinDLG.zip> works on the
    > three WDs and one Seagate drives I have attached to the ITE controller
    > on my 8KNXP. .

    Tried it, no SMART status available
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    William Bell wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:03:28 +0100, "Ronald"
    > <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the
    >> IT8212 RAID controller.
    >> HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver
    >> 1.7.1.92. Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a
    >> way ?
    >>
    >> Regards Ronald
    >>
    > Maxtor don't have SMART from what I have read..
    >
    > My Seagates work OK..
    >
    > Try Speedfan and see what you get

    Maxtor's do have SMART. Speedfan doent give any readings when drives are
    attached to the RAID contoller. All works fine with the standard IDE
    controller.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:11:05 +0100, "Ronald"
    <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

    >William Bell wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:03:28 +0100, "Ronald"
    >> <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the
    >>> IT8212 RAID controller.
    >>> HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver
    >>> 1.7.1.92. Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a
    >>> way ?
    >>>
    >>> Regards Ronald
    >>>
    >> Maxtor don't have SMART from what I have read..
    >>
    >> My Seagates work OK..
    >>
    >> Try Speedfan and see what you get
    >
    >Maxtor's do have SMART. Speedfan doent give any readings when drives are
    >attached to the RAID contoller. All works fine with the standard IDE
    >controller.

    All my Drives are connected t the Raid controller and SMART works and so
    does SpeedFan.

    You are doing some thing Wrong..
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message

    | On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:11:05 +0100, "Ronald"
    | <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:
    |
    | >William Bell wrote:

    | >> Maxtor don't have SMART from what I have read..
    | >>
    | >> My Seagates work OK..
    | >>
    | >> Try Speedfan and see what you get
    | >
    | >Maxtor's do have SMART. Speedfan doent give any readings when drives are
    | >attached to the RAID contoller. All works fine with the standard IDE
    | >controller.
    |
    | All my Drives are connected t the Raid controller and SMART works and so
    | does SpeedFan.
    |
    | You are doing some thing Wrong..

    Are you running RAID0 or 1? I have two Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R
    controller and I can't obtain SMART info. Is it possible to obtain SMART
    info with two drives running as one?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:44:57 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:

    >"William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message
    >
    >| On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:11:05 +0100, "Ronald"
    >| <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

    >| >Maxtor's do have SMART. Speedfan doent give any readings when drives are
    >| >attached to the RAID contoller. All works fine with the standard IDE
    >| >controller.
    >|
    >| All my Drives are connected t the Raid controller and SMART works and so
    >| does SpeedFan.
    >|
    >| You are doing some thing Wrong..
    >
    >Are you running RAID0 or 1? I have two Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R
    >controller and I can't obtain SMART info. Is it possible to obtain SMART
    >info with two drives running as one?

    I am only running them as IDE Drives, not Raid, also there is a SMART thing in
    the Bios from memory.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    William Bell wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:44:57 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message

    >>> All my Drives are connected t the Raid controller and SMART works
    >>> and so does SpeedFan.
    >>>
    >>> You are doing some thing Wrong..
    >>
    >> Are you running RAID0 or 1? I have two Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R
    >> controller and I can't obtain SMART info. Is it possible to obtain
    >> SMART info with two drives running as one?
    >>

    > I am only running them as IDE Drives, not Raid, also there is a SMART
    > thing in the Bios from memory.

    That explains. My original question explicitely mentioned RAID.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    | On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:44:57 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:
    |

    | >"William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message
    | >
    | >| On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:11:05 +0100, "Ronald"
    | >| <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:
    | >|
> [...]
    | >|
    | >| All my Drives are connected t the Raid controller and SMART works and
    so
    | >| does SpeedFan.
    | >|
    | >| You are doing some thing Wrong..
    | >
    | >Are you running RAID0 or 1? I have two Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R
    | >controller and I can't obtain SMART info. Is it possible to obtain SMART
    | >info with two drives running as one?
    | >

    | I am only running them as IDE Drives, not Raid, also there is a SMART
    thing in
    | the Bios from memory.

    Before setting up RAID0 I was running one Raptor on the ICH5R (on-chip)
    controller, and it would show SMART info. Why not move yours from the ITE
    controller to ICH5R?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:28:13 +0100, "Ronald"
    <ronald.van.der.graafNOSPAMJUNK@planet.nl> wrote:

    >William Bell wrote:
    >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:44:57 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message

    >>> Are you running RAID0 or 1? I have two Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R
    >>> controller and I can't obtain SMART info. Is it possible to obtain
    >>> SMART info with two drives running as one?
    >>>

    >> I am only running them as IDE Drives, not Raid, also there is a SMART
    >> thing in the Bios from memory.
    >
    >That explains. My original question explicitely mentioned RAID.

    I just can't see how that it can change any thing as I am using the same
    driver..
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:18:19 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:

    >"William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message
    >| On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:44:57 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:
    >|

    >| >"William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message

    >| >|

    >are
    >| >|
    >so
    >| >|

    >| >Are you running RAID0 or 1? I have two Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R
    >| >controller and I can't obtain SMART info. Is it possible to obtain SMART
    >| >info with two drives running as one?
    >| >

    >| I am only running them as IDE Drives, not Raid, also there is a SMART
    >thing in
    >| the Bios from memory.
    >
    >Before setting up RAID0 I was running one Raptor on the ICH5R (on-chip)
    >controller, and it would show SMART info. Why not move yours from the ITE
    >controller to ICH5R?

    He could also try the latest Drivers like me..
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Ronald wrote:

    > I can't get any S.M.A.R.T info off my IDE Maxtors attached to the
    > IT8212 RAID controller.
    > HD's support SMART. SMART is enabled on mobo. Have ITE driver
    > 1.7.1.92. Is this lacking ITE driver support or does anyone know a
    > way ?

    I've never seen SMART work on hardware RAID configurations, though of course
    that doesn't mean that it cannot. I suspect that part of the problem is that
    to the OS the drives appear to be one drive - so which actual drive should
    the controller pass the information on for?

    /mel/

Gigabyte NAS / RAID Support Motherboards