I bought a XP Pro disc off of eBay and tried to load it over my Win ME
system. The damn thing only loads to about 27 - 31 % then repeatedly drops
out of the setup to re-boot and start the whole show over again, and again.
Is there anyway to rescue all the "good" files still left on the computer in
my Office 2000 directories? Or am I SOL.??!!

When system automatically reboots it will usually say "press any key to boot
from CD" <--- Do not press any keys or it will start over. Let it resume by
itself to continue it's process. (Just a guess that you are booting from CD
on every restart)