Network transfers from XP to 98 are slow??

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Quick question:

I have 2 computers networked together through a router, all 100BaseT. One computer is running Windows 98 SE, the other is running Windows XP.

Whenever a file transfer is INITIATED from the XP system, the transfer is extrememly slow. However, if the same type of transfer is initated from the 98 machine, it's over twice as fast. For example, if I'm on the XP machine and send 1GB file to the 98 machine, the network utilization is less than 35%. If I'm on the 98 machine and request the same 1GB file, the network utilization jumps to over 60%. In both instances, the NICs are doing the same thing, the transfer is just originating from a different location.

Why is this? Obviously it's not a hardware problem, but rather some software setting in XP that is slowing the transfer down if initiated from that terminal.

I'd much appreciate any help with this issue, it's extrememly annoying. Whenever I have to transfer large files, I have to go over to the 98 machine just because it's faster there. wtf?!

Sounds a little like an arp issue. As if the 98 machine knows where to find the XP one but not the reverse. Perhaps too much authentication stuff going on...you tried disabling the XP firewall to see if it makes a difference?

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
all arp does is resolve a mac address to a known ip address. it does this only once. then it has to do it again when the arp table expires. if it were an arp issue there would be no transfer.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

I mearly assumed the arpcache was wrong in some way or maybe a rarp thing. :smile:

Can you tell that arp isn't my stong point? Heh!

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Maybe check for new drivers for the Xp machines nic card... Maybe some programmer screwed up in part of the code... Or look for a windows update also...

drew

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I ran into the same problem. exept I had 2 XP machines and a 98 machine. I had one XP machine upstairs, wired in wall (tested), and from either of the PCs (1 98, 1 XP)in the basement to the one upstairs was slow (like around .5% of a 10MB connection). What fixed my problem was reloading the XP machine upstairs. Never found the exact cuase but it fixed the problem.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The WinXP firewall is already disabled. I tried disabling everything on my router but same problem. Also made sure I had the latest NIC drivers, same problem. I'd hate to reinstall XP just cause the network is slow. I know it was something to do with authentication because it's only when I initate transfer from the XP machine, not vice versa. Oh well, I'll figure it out someday. Thanks for the help!

wseaton

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
If I read your post correctly you are getting faster Xfer times 'pulling' data from the XP box while on the Win98 box vs 'pushing' data from the XP box to the Win98 box. Correct?

This is typical of most computing environments and Windows architectures as well. Windows machines are inherently inefficient data transmitters, but pretty good data recievers in the way their network stacks are optimized.

However, if the Win98 box is twice as fast at 'pulling' data from the XP box as the XP is 'pulling' data from the Win98 box you've got some driver or hardware issues. There's no way a Win98 box given the same hardware should beat a NT/Win2K/XP network stack. My suggestion in this case is to make sure your XP box has the right drivers for the NIC card, and you might as well set your NIC cards to 100/half duplex. Either should help the problem.