Sign in with
Your question

Prometheus Spoiler Warning

Last response: in Entertainment
June 9, 2012 3:25:08 PM

I guess a lot of times from bits and pieces from trailer clips we can surmise what to expect from a movie, personally since this was coming from Ridley Scott, it first appeared as a prequel to the original Alien movie.

Seeing as how that was the reason I went to see it, I was setting my own self up for disappointment, I simply was looking for the missing pieces of the puzzle of how and why the alien ship was on LV-426 in the first place.

If you take this movie as stand alone with absolutely no reference to the past Alien movies, it's a great movie, but seeing as how there are elements like the exact design of the ship on LV-426 and the alien in the chair, the chair in the control room, the same as was in the Alien movie, everything except the Alien creature itself.

As doctor Phill would say to Ridley Scott, "What the Hell were you thinking?", Ridley you had a loyal Alien fan base you just flat walked away from, Alien and Aliens were masterful movies that every attempt past them has been a botched pile of crap, what is wrong with you people.

So reading this you may come to the conclusion I was disappointed with the movie, UuuuuuH Yeah!

The alien ships that resemble the ship on LV-426 had no cargo even resembling the Alien creature, the eggs, anything, there was nothing in the movie even closely resembling the Alien creature, so the missing piece of the puzzle is still missing.

My unanswered questions:

How did the alien ship get on LV-426 in the first place, it did not magically appear, it crashed on LV-426 there was a hole torn in the side from the crash?

Where did that ship actually come from, the cargo it carried did not match the cargo on the ship in the Prometheus movie at all?

How did the Alien creature come to be?

Many unanswered questions regarding Prometheus, maybe Ridleys intentions were to make a movie to fully use his original Alien movie crashed ship designs in a completely new movie, well congratulations Ridley, you at least did that!

With the ship designs the perfect opportunity to make a prequel to the original Alien Movie was totally thrown out the window and a piece of movie history that could have tied back to the original Alien movie could have rectified some of the past debauchery of the Alien series.

My 2 cents! Ryan
June 19, 2012 5:57:07 PM

I didnt see this thread.....

I re-watched the original Alien after seeing this movie and there are some gaps....

One of the doctors states that the alien (Space Jockey, Big guy) on LV-426 had been there for a long time (Maybe two-thousand years? Like the others) in the original movie which had eggs instead of those fancy jars.

So the alien race must exist already somewhere, which would explain the references to the aliens in the murals that immediately faded on the Space Jockey's ship. It was supposedly of a queen.... I think.

The alien burst out of the SJ's chest, maybe he was planning on crash landing the ship in an uninhabited planet?

Also, that alien at the very end did have some very human characteristics, and the aliens we see in the earlier movies (Alien, Aliens) look more.... alien. Maybe this was pure human and alien DNA? Maybe what we see with the egg laying queens is from an alternate infection path. Like if a more insectoid race encountered that black goop, they would produce chest bursting egg laying, silver toothed nightmares.
And we produce (Along with the SJ) is smaller flat toothed, quick looking little mothers.

The question I have is why was that last SJ so adamant about flying to earth immediately?

June 19, 2012 7:39:30 PM

I wish we weren't left with so many unanswered questions maybe if Ridley Scott was going to do some accelerated releases like they did with Matrix released in 1999, and Reloaded, and Revolutions both released in 2003, but unfortunately I think we'll be waiting a long time for some answers.

Quote:
The question I have is why was that last SJ so adamant about flying to earth immediately?

There must be something related to earth and the human population that turns out devastating to them?

Wasn't the beginning of the movie establishing the lineage link that they were responsible for human life on earth in the first place?

Maybe they were playing God, and somewhere it flat backfired and they decided they had to terminate us?

We're left with nothing but questions?

I was really in hopes Prometheus would be answering questions not creating them.

Alien 3 and 4 were so disappointing to me.

Prometheus, as a stand alone movie by itself was very good, using the Alien movie original LV-426 ship design had me, spending the entire movie looking for anything relating to the original Alien creatures.

Only because of the directors relation to the original Alien movie, and the movie previews showing the Alien spacecraft.

I'm considering going to see it again with no preconceptions and give it another chance,

I flat loved the original Alien movie and always wished Ridley Scott could have redone it, using the special effects he has available to him today, that movie for me held a special place in time, from the alien popping out of John Hurts chest, to Tom Skerritt in the air ducts, it just got more intense the further you went.

It was one masterful piece of work.
Related resources
June 19, 2012 9:21:31 PM

Ummm, saw it friday, you must have missed where they spoke of the ancient ship, and ships were all there because it was a military research moon, and the various creatures were biological weapons, and at the beginning, the ancient who took that drink from that dna bottle seeded earth, and appeared to have escaped the leaving ship, and I interpreted that as them seeding earth, and why our dna matched theirs.
Not sure how you missed the military insallation thing tho.

If that guy at the beginning of the movie was an escapee of some type, theres the motive for our destruction
June 19, 2012 11:57:55 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Ummm, saw it friday, you must have missed where they spoke of the ancient ship, and ships were all there because it was a military research moon, and the various creatures were biological weapons, and at the beginning, the ancient who took that drink from that dna bottle seeded earth, and appeared to have escaped the leaving ship, and I interpreted that as them seeding earth, and why our dna matched theirs.
Not sure how you missed the military insallation thing tho.

If that guy at the beginning of the movie was an escapee of some type, theres the motive for our destruction

Hey John, I caught a lot but was probably too into looking for direct alien, as of the Alien movie alien, not relating to, but actual alien.

I was totally a victim of my own expectations! :pfff: 

So how are you man?

I hope all is well with you and your family! Ry
June 20, 2012 1:58:36 PM

So do you think those cave paintings that the two scientists were studying was an invitation or a warning?
June 21, 2012 7:53:40 AM

Doing better, thanx Ry
You n yours?

I think it was a bad invitation, as when man is capable, hed be demolished once he reached the stars, but unless they wiped themselves out, they may still exist.
Hard to interpret the beginning, as he swallowed that DNA disolver, was he supposed to be there?
Was he left for this purpose, which goes against them wanting the human race destroyed, and is why he either hid the DNA dissolver, and was left there as punishment (my main belief), or he had eluded them, and stayed to secretly seed the planet anyways.
Its possible they didnt want competition amongst the stars, and simply were waiting for man, driven by tech and those paintings, to eventually destroy us.
If theres a follow up, it will make more sense.

My overall thoughts were they fairly pulled this movie off, but obviously left much unexplained, at least for motives
June 21, 2012 9:36:48 AM

Could simply be details of the original alien craft on LV-426 that Ripley Scott did not get to use in the original Alien movie he just had to use somewhere, IMO Prometheus tied back to Alien was a farce.

If he had taken a different route, supplied a reason the SJ seated in the chair in the ship on LV-426 had his chest burst open (obviously by a queen that laid eggs in the lower area of the ship), and supplied a take off and crash senario that has deposited the ship on LV-426 in the first place, Ripley Scott IMO would be in legendary status.

However that's not what he did and he blew the perfect prequel plot to resurrect the mass botching of Alien and Aliens, so wherever he goes with Prometheus from here does not matter to me because he has totally lost my interest.

He had an excellent foundation already in place to have created one seriously shocking movie on the scale of how you felt walking out of the theater the first time you saw Alien.

I still remember your brain processing all you had seen in Alien it was a roller coaster ride for sure and as soon as you thought you were pulling into the station and the ride was over, out pops the aliens hand as he was on the shuttle with Ripley, and it's pedal to the metal again, survive, survive, survive!

It seems today all the imagination is gone from Hollywood, if it's not a remake, it's movies from comic books or games, good solid SciFi movies like Alien and Predator are few and far between, and the best of the best are Classics now that we measure all new movies by.

The only movie I've seen lately that does any justice to a previous release is the 2011 release of The Thing, it was great because it was what led up to the The Thing released in 1982, filling in all the missing pieces of the puzzle, that was what I hoped Ripley Scott was going to do with Prometheus.

Ry
June 24, 2012 4:48:26 PM

It could also mean, either what creatures were left either evolved quickly to one congealed alien, or, the alien we know was superior to the rest, and was the only surviving bio weapon left in the future
June 24, 2012 8:36:46 PM

**Spoilers**

OK, I saw the film and have questions regarding various plot holes.

So that scene where the android activated the holograms of the spooked alien engineers running away from something in the corridor into that room with the biological weapon canisters, what were they actually running away from, the Xenomorph Aliens? One could only assume that as previously they had seen those engraved hieroglyphs on the walls of what resembled a grotesque version of the Xenomorph Alien Queen and later on the 2 coward geologists found many corpses of the alien engineers with their chests burst open from the inside.
But if that is the case, then what happened to the xenomorph aliens that were chasing them and killed them?

Where did that snake come from that killed the 2 geologists, it wasn’t in that room when they 1st arrived and how did it survive thousands of years there without food, waiting for the humans to arrive?

In Alien 1, when Ripley’s crew arrived at the place and later on in Aliens the colonists, how come no one noticed the human crash-landed escape pods and debris and that huge squid inside that had devoured the alien engineer and what happened it?

In Alien 1 film, the huge room filled with xenomorph eggs was it in a different un-explored compartment of the horse-shoe space-ship and was that a another space jockey with its chest burst open? Because in Prometheus, after the ship crashed, the space jockey came after the woman protagonist to kill her, only to get crushed to death by her squid child.
June 25, 2012 10:34:14 AM

Wow John, That pretty much confirms we can kiss any true Alien prequel goodbye!

Personally I think Ridley Scott has just flat lost what gave him the original shock and awe Alien movie edge.

IMO the beautiful thing about the original Alien movie was the alien creature from gestation to full grown was totally instinctly about survival of it's species. There were no references or links to anything pertaining to any beliefs, it was about a creature solely intent on survival of it's species, no remorse, or guilt, or sympathy, or plot, or intent other than to survive. Alien was so well put together no one leaving the theater was even thinking where did the Alien come from? Most were just in total shock at what they had just seen, origin of the species was irrelevant, even with the limited special effects of the day, it was amazing what we had all just seen on screen, and rightly so as Alien has taken it's place with some of the greatest science fiction movies ever done. We questioned later about the crashed spacecraft on LV-426 but most of us were just marveling at the time that a true thirst for a descent move had just been quenched, because those caliber movies were few and far between.

Personally I think Ridley Scott is totally over thinking, and apparently from your link, he is not in full control of what he would like to do anyway, he should have started from scratch with no references to anything relating to the original Alien movie and took Prometheus from scratch.

He can say what he wants, but he blew it as far as any tie backs to Alien.

He has completely missed what made Alien what it was.

John, this is just my own personal opinion, there may be some that think Prometheus is the best movie they've ever seen.

Ry
June 25, 2012 10:46:16 AM

retroborg said:
**Spoilers**

OK, I saw the film and have questions regarding various plot holes.

So that scene where the android activated the holograms of the spooked alien engineers running away from something in the corridor into that room with the biological weapon canisters, what were they actually running away from, the Xenomorph Aliens? One could only assume that as previously they had seen those engraved hieroglyphs on the walls of what resembled a grotesque version of the Xenomorph Alien Queen and later on the 2 coward geologists found many corpses of the alien engineers with their chests burst open from the inside.
But if that is the case, then what happened to the xenomorph aliens that were chasing them and killed them?

Where did that snake come from that killed the 2 geologists, it wasn’t in that room when they 1st arrived and how did it survive thousands of years there without food, waiting for the humans to arrive?

In Alien 1, when Ripley’s crew arrived at the place and later on in Aliens the colonists, how come no one noticed the human crash-landed escape pods and debris and that huge squid inside that had devoured the alien engineer and what happened it?

In Alien 1 film, the huge room filled with xenomorph eggs was it in a different un-explored compartment of the horse-shoe space-ship and was that a another space jockey with its chest burst open? Because in Prometheus, after the ship crashed, the space jockey came after the woman protagonist to kill her, only to get crushed to death by her squid child.

You're right!, That's the true problem just too many holes and unanswered questions, and since none of us can really speak for Ridley Scott, we're left to our own imaginations of what is what, I can say what I would have liked for it to have been, but it wasn't.

So there's really no way for us to explain what wasn't intended in the first place?

More questions! IS all we're really left with! Ryan
June 27, 2012 5:29:30 AM

Reading his statements from my link, it seems hes taking a more panoramic POV on many of the things we saw in the show, and an overall symbolic approach to Alien and the future he paints.
As youve said Ry, the explosiveness and detail do not fit what we just saw, and whether it was non control, or this symbolic approach, it just didnt come across, and sometimes its best for a movie to write its own ending, as well as beginning, and points in between.
Sometimes a movie can leave you guessing, just what the hell happened here, but throughout the whole movie?
June 27, 2012 10:43:06 AM

I totally agree, maybe this will spike James Cameron to give the Alien legacy another shot, Alien 3 took a major left turn from where Cameron ended Aliens? I wonder if he was satisfied with what had been done to the series of movies after his work? I don't remember how far away the ship on LV-426 was away from the Atmospheric Processor when it blew, but it probably survived the blast, there's a possibility.

James Cameron could completely side step the other directors by naming a sequel to Aliens as Aliens 2, leaving Ripley, Hicks, Nute, and of course Bishop, (some assembly required!), alive.

They get back and send an assault team back to LV-426 to destroy the alien ship, the possibilities from there would be unlimited.

There is a missing Queen, that originally laid all those eggs in that lower hold of the ship.

Oh well it's nice to dream, that's what SciFi is all about.

John have you been following Falling Skies?

It's in it's 2nd season now.

It's getting very good! Ry
June 30, 2012 2:26:00 AM

So basically this is what we learned from Prometheus! :D 

June 30, 2012 2:36:24 AM

So that Alien bursting out of the engineer at the end is the pioneer of the Alien species?!

If that is the case, then the Alien Vs Predator films make absolutely no sense as they're supposed to take place decades before these events. And who planted those eggs in that other ship in LV-426, if the Aliens species had not been created yet?!

This whole story is a mess!
June 30, 2012 12:35:28 PM

@Ripley Scott,

Quote from James Cameron's Avatar:

"What the hell have you been smoking out there!" :lol: 
July 8, 2012 10:03:25 PM

So, basically what we learned from Prometheus so far, is that running around in alien planets and caves, there is a pretty high chance that you'll get mouth raped by some alien xenomorph or worm on steroids! :mrgreen:

Also the script writer ran out of ideas at some point and decided to copy the black oil from the X-Files! :lol: 
July 9, 2012 9:34:29 AM

:lol:  Or the Beverly Hillbillies :lol: 

"Jed & Granny vs the Aliens", who knew that Rock Salt would kill them instantly! :lol: 
July 17, 2012 12:40:50 PM

Movie stunk. If your going to make a Sci-fi thriller then make one. If your going to do a drama about Anthropic Principle (Basically the theory of why we are here? Or life in the universe in general) then do so. Instead he didn't please fans of pure science fiction and even worse didn't please long standing Alien fans.
July 17, 2012 5:40:12 PM

Well Said!
September 11, 2012 12:02:18 PM

There is one thing I really did like about the movie, Prometheus itself!

Any of you familiar with the Firefly series followed by the movie Serenity, should be able to see the direct similarities between the 2 ships.

The ship design is obviously taken from the Firefly basic design, it's like a huge version of the Firefly design, with 4 engines instead of 2 like the Firefly has.

Prometheus is a very impressive looking ship, I'm sure some serious money was paid for it's CGI rendering.

That's not a whole lot to say for the movie itself, but at least it's something! :) 
!