Help! - IRiver USB won't connect

I have an iRiver IFP-190 that is failing to connect via USB on Windows
XP.

It *was* working fine for a long time but now, trying to connect it
after a 2 month hiatus, it simply is not recognized by the plug and
play when I physically connect it.

Here are the details:

1) I'm running the UMS firmware in the player (installed back when
things were working)

2) The battery indicator shows 3 bars (full)...so I don't think I have
a power issue.

3) I've been thru the whole routine of going into the the Device
Manager, looking for Unknown USB devices, blah, blah, blah - there's
simply nothing there that corresponds to this connection.

4) Checked the Event Log. No errore being reported w.r.t. any USB
stuff.

5) I tried attaching to another Win XP machine (thinking I might hae a
bad USB port or some other problem local to the original machine) -
nothing. Same result.

It's like the device is simply not there, invisible.

Any clues as to what's going on here or suggestions about other things
to try would be most appreciated.

Russ

<russ@roy-associates.biz> wrote in message
>I have an iRiver IFP-190 that is failing to connect via USB on Windows
> XP.
>
> It *was* working fine for a long time but now, trying to connect it
> after a 2 month hiatus, it simply is not recognized by the plug and
> play when I physically connect it.
>
> Here are the details:
>
> 1) I'm running the UMS firmware in the player (installed back when
> things were working)
>
> 2) The battery indicator shows 3 bars (full)...so I don't think I have
> a power issue.
>
> 3) I've been thru the whole routine of going into the the Device
> Manager, looking for Unknown USB devices, blah, blah, blah - there's
> simply nothing there that corresponds to this connection.
>
> 4) Checked the Event Log. No errore being reported w.r.t. any USB
> stuff.
>
> 5) I tried attaching to another Win XP machine (thinking I might hae a
> bad USB port or some other problem local to the original machine) -
> nothing. Same result.
>
> It's like the device is simply not there, invisible.
>
> Any clues as to what's going on here or suggestions about other things
> to try would be most appreciated.
>
> Russ

Russ:
There is a firmware update for the iFP-100 Series of flash players -
http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/iFP_100_support.aspx
I don't know if that firmware update is later than yours, or even if it is,
whether it will solve your problem.
Have you called iRiver tech support 1-800-399-1799 with your problem? I've
found them quite helpful notwithstanding the long wait to get connected to
one of their techies. And at least they speak English.
Art