Strange 8KNXP Prescott Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2004 5:18:52 AM

I have a 8knxp ver1 (was running a 2.8 northwood)i decided to upgrade to
a 3ghz Prescott,i had loads of heat issues,cpu idling @58oc in
windows,start a game temp alarm goes off!! cpu reports 75oc+,a friend
of mine has same board but a ver2,so after pulling my hair out,i
thought i'd try it in his,26oc idle,49oc under full load(using the
intel stock fan),the gigabyte web site says the cpu is supported in
both version board,everything else is fine,wondering if anyone else can
sugguest any idea's or if anyones had the same problems.intel say it's
my room temp (B****cks!)my friends was tried in the same room!,and
still waiting for email back from gigabyte!!(2 months),the ver1 board
i'm currently using works perfectly,rock solid stable and runs any
other cpus at good temps (running a 2ghz p4 @34oc idle at the mo(saves
cooking prescott!)).any idea's anyone???

using a zalman flower cooler with artic silver5 and a cooling duct
(cold air from outside case supplying cpu)
cpu voltage is reported at 1.38 volts (autodetected by board) top of
chip says 1.25-1.4v,i've tried manually setting voltage to 1.25 & 1.30
& 1.35 but system hangs up and app's stop responding!

MANY MANY thanks for ANY help offered in advance!

--
peteec
Anonymous

"peteec" <peteec.1i09wf@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message
news:p eteec.1i09wf@news.computerbanter.com...

> I have a 8knxp ver1 (was running a 2.8 northwood)i decided to upgrade to
> a 3ghz Prescott,i had loads of heat issues,cpu idling @58oc in
> windows,start a game temp alarm goes off!! cpu reports 75oc+,a friend
> of mine has same board but a ver2,so after pulling my hair out,i
> thought i'd try it in his,26oc idle,49oc under full load(using the
> intel stock fan),the gigabyte web site says the cpu is supported in
> both version board,everything else is fine,wondering if anyone else can
> sugguest any idea's or if anyones had the same problems.intel say it's
> my room temp (B****cks!)my friends was tried in the same room!,and
> still waiting for email back from gigabyte!!(2 months),the ver1 board
> i'm currently using works perfectly,rock solid stable and runs any
> other cpus at good temps (running a 2ghz p4 @34oc idle at the mo(saves
> cooking prescott!)).any idea's anyone???
>
> using a zalman flower cooler with artic silver5 and a cooling duct
> (cold air from outside case supplying cpu)
> cpu voltage is reported at 1.38 volts (autodetected by board) top of
> chip says 1.25-1.4v,i've tried manually setting voltage to 1.25 & 1.30
> & 1.35 but system hangs up and app's stop responding!
>
> MANY MANY thanks for ANY help offered in advance!
>

> --
> peteec

It MAY be the board reporting wrong temps. I have a mk 2 8KNXP with a 3GHz
prescot. It ran hot on the stock cooler so I bought a Zalman and it ran a
LITTLE cooler (sorry can't remember exact temps) but was still hot. I did a
bios upgrade a couple of months ago and low and behold the temp readings
dropped by about 10 degrees.

Adrian
January 1, 2005 3:30:15 PM

peteec wrote:

> I have a 8knxp ver1 (was running a 2.8 northwood)i decided to upgrade to
> a 3ghz Prescott,i had loads of heat issues,cpu idling @58oc in
> windows,start a game temp alarm goes off!! cpu reports 75oc+,a friend
> of mine has same board but a ver2,so after pulling my hair out,i
> thought i'd try it in his,26oc idle,49oc under full load(using the
> intel stock fan),the gigabyte web site says the cpu is supported in
> both version board,everything else is fine,wondering if anyone else can
> sugguest any idea's or if anyones had the same problems.intel say it's
> my room temp (B****cks!)my friends was tried in the same room!,and
> still waiting for email back from gigabyte!!(2 months),the ver1 board
> i'm currently using works perfectly,rock solid stable and runs any
> other cpus at good temps (running a 2ghz p4 @34oc idle at the mo(saves
> cooking prescott!)).any idea's anyone???
>
> using a zalman flower cooler with artic silver5 and a cooling duct
> (cold air from outside case supplying cpu)
> cpu voltage is reported at 1.38 volts (autodetected by board) top of
> chip says 1.25-1.4v,i've tried manually setting voltage to 1.25 & 1.30
> & 1.35 but system hangs up and app's stop responding!
>
> MANY MANY thanks for ANY help offered in advance!

There's more changing than the mobo when You tried Your Prescott
in Your friends system, like the case, fans, etc. A 2gHz P4 running 34oc
at dead idle seems a bit warm to me. I have a rev 2 8KNXP with 3 gHz
Northwood undervolted to 1.42 volts running 27oc at Idle. I first had
this stuffed into a mid-tower and it ran really hot! Got a Chieftec Dragon FT,
all is fine, very stable, very quick.

Rick
!