IEEE1394 Delayed Write Failure

This is driving me crazy! I have a new LaCie 160GB external hard drive,
with a Firewire connection through a Pinnacle supplied PCI Firewire card.

All works fine till I try to write large files to the drive, and I get a
delayed write failure, the disc unmounts and all becomes toil and
frustation.

I have established that

I should have a decent sized page file (1.5 x RAM) on a reliable disk
I should disable write caching, by optimixing for quick removal
I should use a decent Firewire cable

I am running Win XP Pro SP2, and have found a "fix" at MS website which
describes exactly the problem. It's here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464 So I asked
MS for the beta hotfix, but they won't give it to me since I installed SP2
more than 3 months ago, despite the fact that I only bought the drive last
week.

I have tried a firewire external disk write routine recommended on a thread
at www.bustrace.com and it passes this test.

I am at my wits end with this.

Anyone had the same problem and solved it? Anyone got the MS OCHO1394.sys
version 5.1.2600.2524 dated 27 Sep 04?

Thanks

Adrian

The first thing I would try is a different Firewire cable, just in case
yours is damaged.
"Adrian Beney" <adrian@leazes.REMOVE.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> This is driving me crazy! I have a new LaCie 160GB external hard drive,
> with a Firewire connection through a Pinnacle supplied PCI Firewire card.
>
> All works fine till I try to write large files to the drive, and I get a
> delayed write failure, the disc unmounts and all becomes toil and
> frustation.
>
> I have established that
>
> I should have a decent sized page file (1.5 x RAM) on a reliable disk
> I should disable write caching, by optimixing for quick removal
> I should use a decent Firewire cable
>
> I am running Win XP Pro SP2, and have found a "fix" at MS website which
> describes exactly the problem. It's here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464 So I asked
> MS for the beta hotfix, but they won't give it to me since I installed SP2
> more than 3 months ago, despite the fact that I only bought the drive last
> week.
>
> I have tried a firewire external disk write routine recommended on a
> thread at www.bustrace.com and it passes this test.
>
> I am at my wits end with this.
>
> Anyone had the same problem and solved it? Anyone got the MS OCHO1394.sys
> version 5.1.2600.2524 dated 27 Sep 04?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian

Thanks; I did try a different firewire cable. And I know that one of them
works fine with my Minolta 5400 scanner.

Adrian

"M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote in message
> The first thing I would try is a different Firewire cable, just in case
> yours is damaged.
> "Adrian Beney" <adrian@leazes.REMOVE.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> This is driving me crazy! I have a new LaCie 160GB external hard drive,
>> with a Firewire connection through a Pinnacle supplied PCI Firewire card.
>>
>> All works fine till I try to write large files to the drive, and I get a
>> delayed write failure, the disc unmounts and all becomes toil and
>> frustation.
>>
>> I have established that
>>
>> I should have a decent sized page file (1.5 x RAM) on a reliable disk
>> I should disable write caching, by optimixing for quick removal
>> I should use a decent Firewire cable
>>
>> I am running Win XP Pro SP2, and have found a "fix" at MS website which
>> describes exactly the problem. It's here
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464 So I
>> asked MS for the beta hotfix, but they won't give it to me since I
>> installed SP2 more than 3 months ago, despite the fact that I only bought
>> the drive last week.
>>
>> I have tried a firewire external disk write routine recommended on a
>> thread at www.bustrace.com and it passes this test.
>>
>> I am at my wits end with this.
>>
>> Anyone had the same problem and solved it? Anyone got the MS
>> OCHO1394.sys version 5.1.2600.2524 dated 27 Sep 04?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Adrian

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I had the very same problem with my maxtor one touch 200 GB (Firewire and
USB 2.0/1.1) External hard drive, running windows XP Pro SP2.
I too just purchased it and found, when using the firewire interface,
connected to creative audigy 2 sound card, trying to write large files would
get delayed write error and disc would, on most occasions unmount.
Switched over to USB 2.0 interface and problem stopped, purchased a PCI USB
2.0 card.

Regards

Simon

Thanks; sadly my LaCie drive has only a Firewire interface!

Adrian

"Simon" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I had the very same problem with my maxtor one touch 200 GB (Firewire and
>USB 2.0/1.1) External hard drive, running windows XP Pro SP2.
> I too just purchased it and found, when using the firewire interface,
> connected to creative audigy 2 sound card, trying to write large files
> would get delayed write error and disc would, on most occasions unmount.
> Switched over to USB 2.0 interface and problem stopped, purchased a PCI
> USB 2.0 card.
>

> Regards
>
> Simon

Adrian,

I also have that problem and I have that MS fix. It didn't help for me
but maybe it helps you. If you like to have it, send an email to
DAVCSQVXLQDB@spammotel.com and I will reply to you with the fix
attached.
cheers, Till

--
jaeti01

Bearcat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005

jaeti01 wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> I also have that problem and I have that MS fix. It didn't help for
me
> but maybe it helps you. If you like to have it, send an email to
DAVCSQVXL...@spammotel.com

Since I found your offer to "Adrian" above, I was hoping you still had
a working
copy of this hotfix that you are able to share with me.

I tried replying to your e-mail, but it seems like it has been
"invalidated" ?
If ou, or anyone else have this fix, it can be sendt to :
bearcat_no-spam_@gmail.com
where you place "bearcat" in front of the @
Best regards,
/Bearcat ;->

mehargags

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004

I have had this Problem with USB2.0 Drive Cases also & with Firewire
also
Only external Drives operating on USB 1.1 speed did not Give me errors
of Write Behind Cache. but then it can Make File Transfer of Large
Files Incredibly Slow

I have never been able to manage this Fault -- So i quit using External
Hard drives & Enclosures

Sorry -- but just telling u my Experience -- i have had data loss 2
times so be Safe at playing with the Ext Drive

--
mehargags
mehargags's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=4543

Adrian,

I have a similar saga -- I have XP SP2 and an external firewire drive chain.
At the end of the chain I have a compact flash card reader. When I
read/copy files from that reader, a brand new Lexar, and then eject a card, I
get the delayed write error and a whole host of issued written to the event
viewer from that point on. The drives all dismount, and I can't get at them
unless I restart. Once restarted, the drives work again. This is a new
issue, I had this exact config running fine under win 2K for 3 years.

I have requested the hotfix described in article 885464 in writing 4 times,
and spent an hour on the phone with a completely useless drone in India. If
you have successfully implemented this fix, please email me at matt@peyton.com

"Adrian Beney" wrote:

> This is driving me crazy! I have a new LaCie 160GB external hard drive,
> with a Firewire connection through a Pinnacle supplied PCI Firewire card.
>
> All works fine till I try to write large files to the drive, and I get a
> delayed write failure, the disc unmounts and all becomes toil and
> frustation.
>
> I have established that
>
> I should have a decent sized page file (1.5 x RAM) on a reliable disk
> I should disable write caching, by optimixing for quick removal
> I should use a decent Firewire cable
>
> I am running Win XP Pro SP2, and have found a "fix" at MS website which
> describes exactly the problem. It's here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464 So I asked
> MS for the beta hotfix, but they won't give it to me since I installed SP2
> more than 3 months ago, despite the fact that I only bought the drive last
> week.
>
> I have tried a firewire external disk write routine recommended on a thread
> at www.bustrace.com and it passes this test.
>
> I am at my wits end with this.
>
> Anyone had the same problem and solved it? Anyone got the MS OCHO1394.sys
> version 5.1.2600.2524 dated 27 Sep 04?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian

Bearcat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005

mehargags wrote:

> Sorry -- but just telling u my Experience -- i have had data loss 2
> times so be Safe at playing with the Ext Drive

Well, tell me about it.... ;-/
After spending hours retreiving my personal movies
of my wedding and honeymoon trip from a DV-cam
onto my FW/USB drive,
I was stupid enough to apply SP2 to my WinXP SP1
computer _before_ editing and burn to DVD.

The result was a corrupted 160GB drive,
all files lost :-(

Now, after updating my FW enclosures firmware,
to a version that is supposed to fix SP2 related problems,
I find myself still stuck with this issue,
that apparently can only be fixed in 2 ways :
A - Remove SP2.
B - Add this hotfix.

I have tried B, but after spending using much time
to get it, talking to a low-end support at MS,
with NO help, NO hotfix,
it seems like I might end up with :
C - No external FW drive
unless I throw out that shitty SP2.

If anyone can help with this hotfix, I would
greately appreciate it
bearcat gmail com

/BearCat

Bearcat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005

Update :
finally I was able to talk to someone who helped me at MS support.
I got the file, and will keep a copy around in case others might need
it.

If you wonder how to get it : bearcat gmail com (fill inn the @ and .
yourself)

Cheer's

bearcat@gmail.com wrote:
> Update :
> finally I was able to talk to someone who helped me at MS support.
> I got the file, and will keep a copy around in case others might need
> it.
>
> If you wonder how to get it : bearcat gmail com (fill inn the @ and .
> yourself)
>
> Cheer's

I sent a request for that, I hope you can help me out.
Andrew

Bearcat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005

I _assume_ that all of you have allready updated the firmware of your
harddrive ?
If not, thats the very first thing to do.
Then, if its NOT helping you, you _might_ try the hotfix from MS,

Sorry to say, it did not help me with my problem :(
Can you post a report of how it worked for _you_ ?

Cheer's
/BC

> > >CASE_ID_NUM: SRQ050201601xxxx
> > >MESSAGE:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP
site
> > >for you to download.
> > >
> > >WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft
website
> > >as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If
you
> > >would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your
specific
> > >problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any
special
> > >compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you
are
> > >encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support
Services.

> > >The package is password protected so be sure to enter the
appropriate
> > >password for each package. To ensure the right password is
provided cut
> > >and paste the password from this mail.
> > >
> > >NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within
that
> > >period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two
passwords
> > >it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle.
Use