ST

Got a sata hard drive but not sure if I can use it . I have a Gigabyte m/b
GA-7VT600-L, I know the chipset (VIA KT600) supports sata, but on this board
there are no sata port connectors. If I buy a controller card and stick
it in a pci slot will I still see the speed that the sata drive is capable
of or will the pci bus restrict me or can I even use it with this board?

Thanks in advance for any help,

ST

> interface, but there is no current provision to soft eject the drive so
> cached writes could linger and you could get a corrupt disc - unlikely as
> it is, it is possible without an eject mechanism(ala USB devices).

Isn't this more a feature of the SATA controller than the drive? I'm sure I
read somewhere about a SATA drive we bought only been hotswapable with the
right interface card, driver and operating system.

Cheers, Rob.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Controller then device driver then a UI element to allow a sys admin to says
Eject with firmware in the controller to obey the command by flushing any
controller chaches after the device driver has flushed all its caches (not
that the DD owns them) and checked there are no open file handles... again
above the DD in IO Manager somewhere. (A SCSI driver will never have any
inkling of files, handles, or open files for that matter). So, somewhere
there must be some API's to request IO Manager to Offline a HDD device.

Yes in other words.

Windows NT family supports this, but it needs to be implemented as above.
You may not see it in the "economy" controllers because that is a selling
point for the more comprehensive controllers even though it can be done & is
designed into the Intel ICH5R for example.