External 5.25 inch floppy drive

Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
available or what would be involved in creating one?

I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
get to the data before the floppies all go bad.

But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
isn't an option.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Derek

It's lonely at the top.
But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
19 answers Last reply
More about external inch floppy drive

    Derek wrote:
    > Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    > available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >
    > I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    > 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    > get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >
    > But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    > isn't an option.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Maybe
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=%22external+floppy+drive%22+%225%2E25%22 ?

    You might find it easier and cheaper to find an old 1.2 meg drive at a
    computer salvage/surplus store and install it into a desktop... really a
    pretty easy process if there is a 5.25 bay available... you can also
    remove the cd drive for the duration of the project and use that... make
    sure you get the ribbon cable with the drive.

    Some info that may relate to your process...

    Disks that old may already have problems... if there are read problems,
    put the disks in a sealed ziplock bag and put the bag into the freezer
    overnight, then take each one out individually and try it in the drive.

    You sure that the disks are 1.2 meg? (should be on the disk) If not,
    remember at the beginning of the computer revolution that there were a
    number of different os' around and that floppies from one system were
    not readable by another os... for example, almost every different cp/m
    mfg used a different disk format, and apple used a drive design that was
    incompatable with any non apple computer.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:35:02 -0500, Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

    > Derek wrote:
    >> Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    >> available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >>
    >> I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    >> 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    >> get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >>
    >> But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    >> isn't an option.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Maybe
    > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=%22external+floppy+drive%22+%225%2E25%22 ?

    Thanks. I'd already tried that.

    All the pages that brought up have at least one 3.5 inch USB "External
    floppy drive" and at least one other item that fits in "5.25" inch
    drive bays.

    There's a lot more "5.25" inch sized stuff than just old floppies.

    --
    Derek

    "So.....I was having dinner with world chess champion Garry Kasporov
    and there was a checkered tablecloth. It took him two hours to pass me
    the salt." -- Peter Kay

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:58:18 -0600, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    wrote:

    > You might find it easier and cheaper to find an old 1.2 meg drive at a
    > computer salvage/surplus store and install it into a desktop... really a
    > pretty easy process if there is a 5.25 bay available... you can also
    > remove the cd drive for the duration of the project and use that... make
    > sure you get the ribbon cable with the drive.

    I don't mean to be picky about free help, but I did note that it is a
    laptop only household at this point. There are no free bays available.

    As for the information about old disks, thanks. I will particularly
    remember the freezer tip.

    --
    Derek

    No matter how great and destructive your problems may seem now,
    remember, you've probably only seen the tip of them.

    Derek wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:35:02 -0500, Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    >
    >> Derek wrote:
    >>> Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    >>> available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >>>
    >>> I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    >>> 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants
    >>> to get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >>>
    >>> But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch
    >>> drive isn't an option.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >> Maybe

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=%22external+floppy+drive%22+%225%2E25%22
    >> ?
    >
    > Thanks. I'd already tried that.
    >
    > All the pages that brought up have at least one 3.5 inch USB "External
    > floppy drive" and at least one other item that fits in "5.25" inch
    > drive bays.
    >
    > There's a lot more "5.25" inch sized stuff than just old floppies.

    OK - what about taking the floppies somewhere where there's a) a 5.25" drive
    and b) a CD burner/etc? I don't know whether Kinko's would have this, but
    some place must.

    Or try ebay - looks like MicroSolutions used to make a "backpack"
    parallel-attached floppy drive at one point.
    As the other reply mentioned, these disks may already be unusable.

    Derek wrote:
    > Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    > available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >
    > I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    > 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    > get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >
    > But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    > isn't an option.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    there are no external 5.25" drives avail that i have ever heard of...
    and though it *might* be possible to modify an external 3.5" version...
    considering the price is $60 - $100
    you;d be way better off going to a 2nd hand store and buying on old 486
    for $15 and checking the old floppies on that...
    it's not too likely there's anything valuable on them anyway
    but who knows

    Derek wrote:
    > Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    > available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >
    > I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    > 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    > get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >
    > But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    > isn't an option.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Here's one, and it includes a free computer!

    http://tinyurl.com/5fesw

    >> laptop only household <<

    uh, huh... however, I have tried several times over the past decade to
    find external (and affordable) 5.25" floppies without success and a
    quick look after you posted your question didn't turn up any 5.25"
    although there are many 3.5" externals.

    Since this is a "one time" process, I would still point you to using a
    desktop with a 5.25 floppy as it would not be expensive if not free to
    find an old pc for the duration... install a network card and use the
    computer itself as an external drive for your laptop... finish the
    project and toss the computer (but keep the drive ;-) or let the person
    who has the disks, the need, and, perhaps not the restriction, keep it.

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:18 -0500, Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

    > OK - what about taking the floppies somewhere where there's a) a 5.25" drive
    > and b) a CD burner/etc? I don't know whether Kinko's would have this, but
    > some place must.

    That has been suggested. And, I think, has actually ended up being the
    solution.

    > Or try ebay - looks like MicroSolutions used to make a "backpack"
    > parallel-attached floppy drive at one point.
    > As the other reply mentioned, these disks may already be unusable.

    The problem with the removable drive solutions is that they were
    products of the 1990s, when 5.25" floppies had long gone out of favor.

    Oh, well.

    --
    Derek

    It's difficult to comprehend how insane some people can be.
    Especially when you're insane.

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:17:33 -0600, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    wrote:

    > >> laptop only household <<
    >
    > uh, huh... however, I have tried several times over the past decade to
    > find external (and affordable) 5.25" floppies without success and a
    > quick look after you posted your question didn't turn up any 5.25"
    > although there are many 3.5" externals.

    Your experience mirrors my own.

    > Since this is a "one time" process, I would still point you to using a
    > desktop with a 5.25 floppy as it would not be expensive if not free to
    > find an old pc for the duration... install a network card and use the
    > computer itself as an external drive for your laptop... finish the
    > project and toss the computer (but keep the drive ;-) or let the person
    > who has the disks, the need, and, perhaps not the restriction, keep it.

    Now there's something I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

    --
    Derek

    "Politics does not make strange bedfellows. Marriage does." -- Groucho
    Marx

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:15:18 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

    > Derek wrote:
    >> Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    >> available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >>
    >> I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    >> 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    >> get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >>
    >> But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    >> isn't an option.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas?
    >>

    > Here's one, and it includes a free computer!
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5fesw

    LOL! Wiseguy.

    --
    Derek

    Sometimes the end doesn't justify the jeans.

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:12:14 -0600, philo wrote:

    > Derek wrote:
    >> Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    >> available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >>
    >> I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    >> 1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    >> get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >>
    >> But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    >> isn't an option.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas?
    >>

    > there are no external 5.25" drives avail that i have ever heard of...
    > and though it *might* be possible to modify an external 3.5" version...
    > considering the price is $60 - $100
    > you;d be way better off going to a 2nd hand store and buying on old 486
    > for $15 and checking the old floppies on that...
    > it's not too likely there's anything valuable on them anyway
    > but who knows

    I figured this would be the ultimate option. And it would be cheaper
    than paying someone else to do it.

    As for being valuable - that's in the eye of the creator. I imagine
    that a manuscript of an unpublished work by a famous author would be
    valuable, even if on a 5.25" Commodore 64 disk.

    Thanks for the help.
    --
    Derek

    "You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce
    themselves to you in the men's room. It's the most bizarre part of
    this entire thing." - Senator John F. Kerry, speaking on "The Daily
    Show" about life as a presidential candidate.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Derek wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:15:18 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    >

    >>Derek wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone know if there are any external 5.25 inch floppy drives
    >>>available or what would be involved in creating one?
    >>>
    >>>I know someone who has just rediscovered a stack of old 5.25 inch,
    >>>1.2MB floppies with private information on them, and who now wants to
    >>>get to the data before the floppies all go bad.
    >>>
    >>>But it's now a laptop-only household, so installing a 5.25 inch drive
    >>>isn't an option.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have any ideas?
    >>>

    >>Here's one, and it includes a free computer!
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/5fesw
    >

    > LOL! Wiseguy.

    I wasn't joking. If for $50 or $75 you can do what you want to do, why
    not? You're not going to find a 5.25" external drive; how much is the
    data worth?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    >> even if on a 5.25" Commodore 64 disk... <<

    as you might have surmised, been here a number of times, anthough never
    with a Commodore... the most recent to recover accounting data from an
    _original_ Compaq to help a severely depressed patient of a friend
    (don't ask ;-)

    Turned out to be a major project since the unit only had a 360k drive
    and the hard drive wouldn't boot... in other words I had to use another
    computer with a _360K_ drive, _and_ find a bootable 360k disk along with
    Dos3.x drive tools.

    Another, where I ultimately had to cry "uncle," was a complete novel on
    3.5" Brother WP disks... turns out there _is_ a service that will
    convert and that was the only workable option I found.

    With cp/m machines, there are still some "disk reader" programs about,
    but you need a 360k drive as a 1.2 will not work with them.

    That said, I've had better success with cp/m data using PIP (anyone here
    that old?) to export files via a serial port... now, somewhere around
    here, I still have the PIP command line syntax ;-)

    For the immediate future, there will be a box around with both 5.25
    drives ready to connect to the network when then next case arrives.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:48:44 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

    > Derek wrote:

    >>>Here's one, and it includes a free computer!
    >>>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/5fesw
    >>

    >> LOL! Wiseguy.
    >>

    > I wasn't joking. If for $50 or $75 you can do what you want to do, why
    > not? You're not going to find a 5.25" external drive; how much is the
    > data worth?

    It wasn't the suggestion that prompted my response, but the delivery.

    --
    Derek

    On the sixth day, God created the platypus. And God said, "Let's see
    the evolutionists try and figure this one out."
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Derek wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:48:44 -0600, Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    >

    >>Derek wrote:

    >>>LOL! Wiseguy.
    >>>

    >>I wasn't joking. If for $50 or $75 you can do what you want to do, why
    >>not? You're not going to find a 5.25" external drive; how much is the
    >>data worth?
    >

    > It wasn't the suggestion that prompted my response, but the delivery.

    OK. Now let's see the creationists explain the isolation of the platypus.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:20:47 -0600, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    wrote:

    > >> even if on a 5.25" Commodore 64 disk... <<
    >
    > as you might have surmised, been here a number of times, anthough never
    > with a Commodore... the most recent to recover accounting data from an
    > _original_ Compaq to help a severely depressed patient of a friend
    > (don't ask ;-)

    The Commodore example was simply to suggest to Philo that the media on
    which the data are stored is not a good indicator of the significance
    of the data. A fact which is also demonstrated by your Brother word
    processor example.

    Outside of that, I'm simply going to bow to your expertise. I may go
    to great lengths to recover data, but I'm glad I don't have to go THAT
    far.

    --
    Derek

    There comes a time when every team must learn to make individual
    sacrifices.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Derek wrote:

    >>>I wasn't joking. If for $50 or $75 you can do what you want to do, why
    >>>not? You're not going to find a 5.25" external drive; how much is the
    >>>data worth?
    >>

    >> It wasn't the suggestion that prompted my response, but the delivery.
    >>

    > OK. Now let's see the creationists explain the isolation of the platypus.

    That was an unfortunate event that occurred after the creation of wine?!?

    r.
  19. Try these guys. Scroll down through the 1.44 drives, and they seem to have 5.25 drives galore. Searching for my cuz who has books on those old drives.
    http://www.computerpartsgalore.com/drives-floppy.htm

Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows XP