81915P DriverIRQL Not Less or Equal

I have put together a new system that crashes with the above error when
testing the CMI9880 speakers, and sometimes at randomn. Seems okay if only
one jack used, but crashes when second set of speakers are plugged in and
tested - using the Audio configuration utility. I have reloaded with just
the basic windowsXp, SP2 and latest drivers from gigabyte, so is not a
conflict with other software. I suspect an IRQ sharing violation, but the
onboard sound and graphics are on the same IRQ (Even when setup as a
standard PC)! Other boards use a similar configuration, so I assume it is
not bad design. Any suggestions?

GA-81915P Duo Pro
Gigabyte DV-NX66256D (Nvidia 6600 - PCI-E)
2 * 512Mb RAM (PQ1-DDR400)
530 LGA775 3Ghz CPU
400W Power Supply
Seagate 160GbB HD

Jim

I'm running a very similar system on what I think is the same mobo
GA-8I915P Duo Pro/ 2 x512mb DDR400/ P4 530/ GeForce 6600GT PCI E
2 x Seagate 160Gb Sata NCQ drives in an Intel Matrix Raid array, part RAID 1
Part RAID 0.

I don't claim any expert knowledge of this setup that I recently put
together, but I'll happily share some of the experiences I had in the hope
they put you on the path to resolve your hassle.

The HDA Audio caused me the most hassles setting up and I can't say for sure
what finally made things settle but I suspect it was the settings in the
Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices conflicting with the setting tool
that comes from Gigabyte/Cmedia. I'm pretty sure I followed the Gigabyte
mobo guide faithfully but I still had to tweak things.
The Cmedia 9880 codec setup software seems to continually poll the jack
sensing feature for the speakers you attach. It seemed to take some time
before accepting my manual corrections to how it identified the connections
to my Logitec 640 5.1 speakers. I reinstalled the Gigabyte mobo drivers and
also performed the driver and BIOS upgrades on the Gigabyte site. Having got
the sound configuration to settle and play through all speakers I now have
two hassles left... Connecting the HDA spec modo connectors to the AC97
standard front audio connectors on my Thermaltake case... there is a work
around but I haven't tried it yet... and getting the sound from my Winfast
XP 2000 Expert card to work properly so I don't have to rely on the
recording monitring sound source and can play back over a properly
identified playback sound source.

Some suggestions you might try.

Check Sounds and Audio Device Properties settings in Control panel... These
seemed to effect the Cmedia application settings when I was tweaking my
system. getting these two software setup tools lined up seemed to be what
got my sound setup.

Drivers

My C-Media Audio device Properties show the Cmedia Driver as 5.12.1.7 dd
2/12/03
Under Systems Devices there is an entry for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for
High Definition Audio and the driver Version is 5.10.0.5010.
I am running WinXP Pro SP2 and I can see that the Service Pack has updated
several of the Audio driver files.
I somehow doubt IRQ's are the problem as my IRQ 16 shows a heap of devices
including audio and my GeForce 6600GT video card.

Hopefully there is enough here to give you a lead on what is going wrong...
My best guess would be to reinstall all drivers... Just ask if you want any
other Driver or setting comparisons that may help.
I found local assemblers and many of the usual info sources still pretty
vague about the new technologies that come with this mobo, in particular the
new HDA sound setup and the Intel Matrix Raid.

In the end it is pretty much all working and as building my own machine was
my perverse idea of leisure, I am not complaining

Good Luck

"Reay Family" <reay@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have put together a new system that crashes with the above error when
>testing the CMI9880 speakers, and sometimes at randomn. Seems okay if only
>one jack used, but crashes when second set of speakers are plugged in and
>tested - using the Audio configuration utility. I have reloaded with just
>the basic windowsXp, SP2 and latest drivers from gigabyte, so is not a
>conflict with other software. I suspect an IRQ sharing violation, but the
>onboard sound and graphics are on the same IRQ (Even when setup as a
>standard PC)! Other boards use a similar configuration, so I assume it is
>not bad design. Any suggestions?
>
> GA-81915P Duo Pro
> Gigabyte DV-NX66256D (Nvidia 6600 - PCI-E)
> 2 * 512Mb RAM (PQ1-DDR400)
> 530 LGA775 3Ghz CPU
> 400W Power Supply
> Seagate 160GbB HD
>
> Jim

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

irql errors are invariably drivers.
If you can't resolve the issue, get the system stable and wait for driver
updates.