Installing Linux on IDE2 or IDE3 for Gigabyte 8i915P Duo Pro

Dear All,

I have the strangest problem with my new motherboard (a 8i915P Duo
Pro).
I would like to use the 3 IDE slots of this machine, or at least 2 of
them.

I've installed a Linux Fedora Core 3 on IDE1 (either Master or Slave,
with the other device being a CDROM). Linux boots fine but it cannot
see any device connected to IDE2 or IDE3.
If I take the same disk and I connect it to IDE2, the boot begins
normally, then crashes in a panic mode.

Do you have the least idea on the reason for the crash?

Take care,

David.

IDE2 & 3 use a different I/O Controller from IDE 1. The Via VT6410. A manual
came with my mobo.

Can you see the drives in the Via Raid startup screen when booting up?
There are drivers for the VIA chip. Are they all installed?

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-8I915P%20Duo%20Pro.htm
may be of help as it makes mention of making IDE2&3 disks bootable but I'm
not sure if this relates only to RAID arrays as I'm only using SATA RAID on
my board and haven't researched using the second set of IDE connections as
yet.

I also suspect you'll need to check the settings and order of the Boot up
devices in Advanced BIOSFeatures.

Good Luck