2nd Posting: Pls Advise Ink Volumes, Epson OEM Carts

I posted this inquiry at this group, as "Epson C80 OEM Cartridges' Ink
Volume," on Friday, 6-11-04. No one's answered. This is a very simple
inquiry. I assume my message wasn't seen, so I'm re-submitting it. Can't
anyone provide this information? Thanks in advance:

Does anybody know the volumes of ink which are contained by the Epson OEM
cartridges for the Stylus C80 inkjet printer? The cartridges are:

Black: T032120

Cyan: T032220

Magenta: T032320

Yellow: T032420

Optional details of my situation are provided below my signature.

--
Jeff Hook
NJ, USA

I own an Epson Stylus C80 color inkjet printer which I use infrequently,
because inking it's such an expense. Once a week I print a single "head
maintenance" page, in an attempt to keep the heads from drying out, so the
printer will be ready * if * I wish to use it. (I created a single-page
word processing file which includes a color photo and text, in various
colors, to give the heads some "exercise.") About the only use I make of
the printer is for printing occasional "#10" "business-sized" envelopes.
(It seems to cost at least $50 a year in ink just to "own" such a printer,
without even making any "real" use of it...)

I switched to AM cartridges, and I bought my current set from Carrot Ink. I
realize the Epson software doesn't sense or measure the actual ink volume
which remains in the cartridges at any time. Rather, it literally counts
the drops as they're ejected, and, based on its assumption about the
starting volume, it estimates the remaining volume. That's the ink level
which it displays as a bar chart in its on-screen "Ink Status Monitor"
display.

The Carrot AM cartridges may contain less ink than the OEM Epson cartridges.
It seems they're running dry while the Epson on-screen "Status Monitor"
display still shows that ink remains. The Carrot black cartridge is marked
as containing 32 milliliters, and each of the three color cartridges is
marked as containing 16 milliliters. If I knew the OEM volumes, I could try
to guess a proportion which might suggest how to adjust the Epson "Status
Monitor's" over-estimate of ink volume. That'd help me know when to suspect
the AM cartridges were running low, despite the misleading on-screen
display. However, I never recorded the ink volume which the OEM cartridges
contained, and I can't find that information anywhere.

(I realize this may be a vain effort, because the OEM and AM ink volumes may
be equal, and other variables may affect the rate at which ink's used. The
physical properties of the two kinds of ink, the type of sponges in the
cartridges, and other factors come to mind. However, it's worth a try...)

--
Jeff Hook
NJ, USA

    Jeffrey L. Hook wrote:

    > I posted this inquiry at this group, as "Epson C80 OEM Cartridges' Ink
    > Volume," on Friday, 6-11-04. No one's answered. This is a very simple
    > inquiry. I assume my message wasn't seen, so I'm re-submitting it. Can't
    > anyone provide this information? Thanks in advance:
    >

    > Does anybody know the volumes of ink which are contained by the Epson OEM
    > cartridges for the Stylus C80 inkjet printer? The cartridges are:
    >

    > Black: T032120
    >

    > Cyan: T032220
    >

    > Magenta: T032320
    >

    > Yellow: T032420
    >

    > Optional details of my situation are provided below my signature.

    I'm afraid I don't know the answer but in all seriousness, perhaps you could try
    asking Epson.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:24:38 GMT, "Jeffrey L. Hook" <NoOne@NoSpam.com>
    wrote:

    >I posted this inquiry at this group, as "Epson C80 OEM Cartridges' Ink
    >Volume," on Friday, 6-11-04. No one's answered. This is a very simple
    >inquiry. I assume my message wasn't seen, so I'm re-submitting it. Can't
    >anyone provide this information? Thanks in advance:
    >

    >Does anybody know the volumes of ink which are contained by the Epson OEM
    >cartridges for the Stylus C80 inkjet printer? The cartridges are:
    >

    >Black: T032120
    >

    >Cyan: T032220
    >

    >Magenta: T032320
    >

    >Yellow: T032420
    >

    >Optional details of my situation are provided below my signature.
    >

    >--
    >Jeff Hook
    >NJ, USA

    I can't tell whether they're the same cart numbers (because I use a
    CIS system and have never ordered any), but the Epson carts for the
    2100/2200 contain 14ml of ink.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    Thanks, folks. Yes, I guess I'll ask Epson.

    (I was at the local Staples last night, when a guy came up behind me with a
    $150 Epson color inkjet printer. I asked him if he knew how much it'd cost
    him to "re-ink" the printer for a year, and he was oblivious. I told him I
    was surely no expert, but that printers were "highly-engineered" products
    which were probably sold at a loss, just so the printer manufacturers could
    assure themselves of a market for their obscenely-overpriced OEM ink
    cartridges. I stressed that cartridges were now equipped with chips in an
    attempt to deny users the right to use AM cartridges, or to refill OEM
    cartridges, and I said he could easily spend far more than the printer's
    purchase price on ink in the printer's first year of use. I wish someone
    had communicated those insights to me when I impulsively snatched my Epson
    off the shelf in a Comp USA store, as oblivious of all of this as that
    fellow was last night. How many inexperienced buyers of printers for home
    use fail to realize that the cost of replacement ink is a much more
    important topic than the cost of the printer? I suggested he look at a
    Canon, rather than at an Epson...)

    --
    Jeff Hook
    NJ, USA

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:07:41 GMT, "Jeffrey L. Hook" <NoOne@NoSpam.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks, folks. Yes, I guess I'll ask Epson.
    >
    >(I was at the local Staples last night, when a guy came up behind me with a
    >$150 Epson color inkjet printer. I asked him if he knew how much it'd cost
    >him to "re-ink" the printer for a year, and he was oblivious. I told him I
    >was surely no expert, but that printers were "highly-engineered" products
    >which were probably sold at a loss, just so the printer manufacturers could
    >assure themselves of a market for their obscenely-overpriced OEM ink
    >cartridges. I stressed that cartridges were now equipped with chips in an
    >attempt to deny users the right to use AM cartridges, or to refill OEM
    >cartridges, and I said he could easily spend far more than the printer's
    >purchase price on ink in the printer's first year of use. I wish someone
    >had communicated those insights to me when I impulsively snatched my Epson
    >off the shelf in a Comp USA store, as oblivious of all of this as that
    >fellow was last night. How many inexperienced buyers of printers for home
    >use fail to realize that the cost of replacement ink is a much more
    >important topic than the cost of the printer? I suggested he look at a
    >Canon, rather than at an Epson...)

    1. The cheaper the printer, the costlier the ink.
    2. A CIS solves that problem.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    What in the world is a " A CIS solves that problem." ??

    > 1. The cheaper the printer, the costlier the ink.
    > 2. A CIS solves that problem.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hecate
    > Hecate@newsguy.com
    > veni, vidi, reliqui

    To All:

    ================================

    1. The cheaper the printer, the costlier the ink.
    2. A CIS solves that problem.

    ================================

    It does, if you plan to make heavy use of your inkjet printer, but I make
    only infrequent use of mine (my primary use of it is one "test page" per
    week, to guard against drying of the heads; isn't that a "fine how do you
    do"?). I just wanted to let any neophytes know that the low "acquisition
    cost" of an inkjet printer is misleading, and I wanted to stress that they
    should investigate the cost of replacement ink.

    --
    Jeff Hook
    NJ, USA

    To All:

    =============================

    What in the world is a " A CIS solves that problem." ??

    =============================

    (How about "What in the world is a CIS??" ... )

    See

    http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22continuous+%7Eink+system%22&btnG=Search

    "CIS," when used with respect to the ink supply of computer printers, means
    "continuous ink system," or "continuous inking system," or "continuous
    ink-feed system," etc. It's a "bottle and plastic tube" set up which
    provides a continuous flow of ink to permanent cartridges, to overcome the
    inane limitations of 16, 30, or 40-milliliter ink "tanks".

    --
    Jeff Hook
    NJ, USA

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:50:15 GMT, "Jeffrey L. Hook" <NoOne@NoSpam.com>
    wrote:

    >To All:
    >

    >================================
    >
    >1. The cheaper the printer, the costlier the ink.
    >2. A CIS solves that problem.
    >
    >================================
    >
    >It does, if you plan to make heavy use of your inkjet printer, but I make
    >only infrequent use of mine (my primary use of it is one "test page" per
    >week, to guard against drying of the heads; isn't that a "fine how do you
    >do"?). I just wanted to let any neophytes know that the low "acquisition
    >cost" of an inkjet printer is misleading, and I wanted to stress that they
    >should investigate the cost of replacement ink.

    Yes, and you're absolutely right about that, which was my point in 1.
    :)

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com