Replacing an IDE HDD with a SATA HDD

December 19, 2004 12:51:03 PM

Hi there, I will be purchasing a Seagate 7200RPM 80Gb SATA 8Mb Cache HDD and
I'm wanting to use this as a replacement for my current 80Gb IDE HDD. My
concern is, will I need to purchase a different cable to connect this to my
motherboard and will it be ok powered by the cable from my PSU??? Also it
should be compatible with my current motherboard aslong as I have the
necessary drivers right? My current motherboard is a Microstar MS6787 Micro
ATX Motherboard. Many thanks for your help. Lee
December 19, 2004 1:45:03 PM

I have reasons for replacing my IDE HDD with this new SATA HDD, I havent got
no manuals for my Motherboard as the PC was bought from TINY and to be honest
they are pants lol. I am getting this new HDD for next to nothing thats why I
wanted some advice on if I could use it or not. Thanks for you advice, much
appreciated. Lee
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 3:31:19 PM

Lee wrote:
> Hi there, I will be purchasing a Seagate 7200RPM 80Gb SATA 8Mb Cache
> HDD and I'm wanting to use this as a replacement for my current 80Gb
> IDE HDD. My concern is, will I need to purchase a different cable to
> connect this to my motherboard and will it be ok powered by the cable
> from my PSU??? Also it should be compatible with my current
> motherboard aslong as I have the necessary drivers right? My current
> motherboard is a Microstar MS6787 Micro ATX Motherboard. Many thanks
> for your help. Lee

Look at your own manual (either in the records you keep or online)..

Does it support SATA?
If not, do you have the proper adapters so you can use a SATA as an IDE
(although I feel that direction is a waste - actually, usually anything
requiring adapters could be better by getting the proper equipment instead.)

I would suggest getting a proper replacement for your hard drive. Read you
manual, see what the board supports. http://www.msicomputer.com/ Once you
know, get the fastest/best one your equipment was made for and/or buy a new
motherboard/CPU that can handle what you want..

Specifically:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mn...
Maybe one of these:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/search/ser/SerConDownRes....

For Pricing/Opinions/Reviews on various products:
- http://www.dealsites.net/
- http://www.techbargains.com/
- http://www.edealinfo.com/
- http://www.fatwallet.com/
- http://www.epinions.com/
- http://www.pricewatch.com/
- http://www.couponfinders.com/

--
<- Shenan ->
a b V Motherboard

Why would you begin to think that this drive will work with your M/B? It
won't!

Go to the manufacturers web site for your M/B and you will find that there
are NO Serial ATA capabilities built in to the M/B.

You will need an add-in interface card to use that hard drive (such as those
marketed by Promise Technology Inc.). Make sure that your M/B allows you to
boot from a drive connected to such a card.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew half as much as you think you know,
You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

!