Computer rebooting when vid card is under load

Just built a new P4 3ghz LG with a GA-8IPE775Pro MB.
Firstly I installed my fairly new Radeon 128mb 9600SE and had some app
problems which turned out to be some wierd compatibility issue with the
card.
So I now have an older Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE with the latest
Nvidia drivers(66.93).
Every so often usually during high vid card load the comp reboots(using
XP Pro).
I was told to try switching the AGP speed from 8x to 4x but there is no
such option in the BIOS that I can see(flashed the bios to the latest
F3 too)does the bios even have this option if not now what?

RAM has checked out fine.
Reinstalled OS.
No other apps running at the time as it's a new HD with relatively
nothing on it.

TIA

SE
7 answers Last reply
More about computer rebooting card load

    sounds like power supply or heat problem

    Wayne

    "Sir Elric" <leehogg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just built a new P4 3ghz LG with a GA-8IPE775Pro MB.
    > Firstly I installed my fairly new Radeon 128mb 9600SE and had some app
    > problems which turned out to be some wierd compatibility issue with the
    > card.
    > So I now have an older Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE with the latest
    > Nvidia drivers(66.93).
    > Every so often usually during high vid card load the comp reboots(using
    > XP Pro).
    > I was told to try switching the AGP speed from 8x to 4x but there is no
    > such option in the BIOS that I can see(flashed the bios to the latest
    > F3 too)does the bios even have this option if not now what?
    >
    > RAM has checked out fine.
    > Reinstalled OS.
    > No other apps running at the time as it's a new HD with relatively
    > nothing on it.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > SE

    Power supply is relatively new and in the same case as my old system
    that did not have this problem.
    Heating was a possiblility but I booted up one day and the comp was
    running all of 2 - 3 minutes and rebooted when some flash content ran.
    SE

    I upgraded from a Athlon to a P4 and my power supply worked fine for about 2
    months then would not work although it worked fine with my old MOBO. I sent
    the Mobo back to Gigabyte thinking it was bad, got it back a couple of weeks
    later and then realized it was the power supply. I would take the heat sink
    off the processor and try cleaning it and putting it back together. If you
    have several drives I would try booting with the minimum or getting a cheap
    vga video card and seeing if that works OK

    > Power supply is relatively new and in the same case as my old system
    > that did not have this problem.
    > Heating was a possiblility but I booted up one day and the comp was
    > running all of 2 - 3 minutes and rebooted when some flash content ran.
    > SE

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I'm running a GA 7VT600 1394 with an Athlon 3200+. Experiencing the same
    problem. So far I've tried changing the PSU, Video card, HDD and even used
    another CPU. Cooling is not a problem with me. Thermaltake fans, Artic
    silver 5 & plenty of ventilation. I'm leaning toward the board not
    supporting dual DDR. Going to try the GA 7N400 Pro2 with the nVidia ULTRA
    400 chipset instead of the VIA 600. It also supports Dual channel DDR.

    Rudy
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I have tried a total of 3 vid cards and still getting BSOD with
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
    Bought a Thermaltake fan for extra cooling, CPU is running at 42c, BIOS
    is up to date(F3), chipset drivers are up todate(6.2.1.1001) starting
    to think I just have a dud MB.

    SE
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    this tends to indicate you have a driver issue, although it can be hardware.
    If you have bad ram or you are running the ram out of spec you can also get
    this error, but you are likely to see other random errors too (EG fatal
    exceptions) . To remove doubt, run memtest86 to check ram - its free.
    click start, run sigverif.exe and for each file listed, identify what device
    its associated with (may not be, use google to find out). For each driver
    check to see if there is a later version.

    IE check network, graphics, sata / raid, sound etc. drivers.

    >I have tried a total of 3 vid cards and still getting BSOD with
    > DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
    > Bought a Thermaltake fan for extra cooling, CPU is running at 42c, BIOS
    > is up to date(F3), chipset drivers are up todate(6.2.1.1001) starting
    > to think I just have a dud MB.
    >
    > SE

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I took the MB back and got a replacement picked up a XION case while I
    was at it and *touch wood* all is well so far.

    SE

Gigabyte Motherboards