Dual channel memory

As much as I think I know it's not enough sometimes. Can someone explain
what dual channel memory really is. Is it a stick of DDR with chips on both
sides? I have two strips of Kingston PC 3200/400. Chips on both sides. It's
not advertized as 'dual', but if I buy two togeather it is. Confusing. I'm
using a GA 7VT600 1394 which supports DDR PC 3200/400 but doesn't
specifically say dual channel. Thinking of switching to a GA A7N400 PRO 2
which does say so.

PS Can't find an explanation at Kingston. A reference but no explanation.

Rudy

"Rudy Kube" <rudykube@comcast.net> wrote in message
> As much as I think I know it's not enough sometimes. Can someone explain
> what dual channel memory really is. Is it a stick of DDR with chips on
> both
> sides? I have two strips of Kingston PC 3200/400. Chips on both sides.
> It's
> not advertized as 'dual', but if I buy two togeather it is. Confusing. I'm
> using a GA 7VT600 1394 which supports DDR PC 3200/400 but doesn't
> specifically say dual channel. Thinking of switching to a GA A7N400 PRO 2
> which does say so.
>
> PS Can't find an explanation at Kingston. A reference but no explanation.
>
> Rudy

Dual Channel means that the chip set has the ability access two memory
sticks at about the same time. The board manual tells you were to insert for
channel A and were to insert a stick for channel B.
At boot time the BIOS finds those sticks and reports that you are in the
Dual Channel mode.
The nForce2 has 128 memory data lines as opposed to 64 on the non-Dual
Channel.

The best results come from two sticks of the same capacity from the same
maker with the same timings. I think that is what you have.

A stick with both sides populated is called double sided or DS.
JPS

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:37:48 -0500, "Rudy Kube" <rudykube@comcast.net> wrote:

>As much as I think I know it's not enough sometimes. Can someone explain
>what dual channel memory really is. Is it a stick of DDR with chips on both
>sides? I have two strips of Kingston PC 3200/400. Chips on both sides. It's
>not advertized as 'dual', but if I buy two togeather it is. Confusing. I'm
>using a GA 7VT600 1394 which supports DDR PC 3200/400 but doesn't
>specifically say dual channel. Thinking of switching to a GA A7N400 PRO 2
>which does say so.
>
>PS Can't find an explanation at Kingston. A reference but no explanation.
>
>Rudy

Has nothing at all to do with the Ram, its a MoBo Chipset Feature.

You just use 2 same brand and type of DDR Rams, I am using 2 x 512m Kingmax
DDR Rams..

"Rudy Kube" <rudykube@comcast.net> wrote in message
> As much as I think I know it's not enough sometimes. Can someone explain
> what dual channel memory really is. Is it a stick of DDR with chips on
> both sides? I have two strips of Kingston PC 3200/400. Chips on both
> sides. It's not advertized as 'dual', but if I buy two togeather it is.
> Confusing. I'm using a GA 7VT600 1394 which supports DDR PC 3200/400 but
> doesn't specifically say dual channel. Thinking of switching to a GA
> A7N400 PRO 2 which does say so.
>
> PS Can't find an explanation at Kingston. A reference but no explanation.
>
> Rudy

Dual channel currently is a waste of time and money, speaking in terms of
AMD 32bit, since the CPU FSB limits the bandwidth! FSB 400 can do 3.2gig/sec
and that's all about it - therefore single channel is fully sufficient as
long as your FSB is not higher than 400. The Pentium with a 533FSB can take
advantage of dual channel. The AMD 64 4000+ is a good step ahead with 2gig
FSB and dual channel - here DC makes real sense as soon as we have mem
sticks that can run at 2 gig