GIGABYTE 8IDX (Intel i845 chipset)

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 2:56:32 PM

Hi,
I would like to change my old home-compy which is now Intel Celeron II
850MHz on some undefined mobo with VIA chipset. It has 320MB SDRAM installed
(both 100 and 133MHZ modules installed). I have my older Pentium 4 1.7GHZ
CPU (willemate) and i would like to use it in the older computer. I have
found a good deal GIGABYTE 8IDX to buy cheap. This board make use of older
ram (SDRAM 133) so i will not have to buy DDRs for it.

I know the i845 chipset, i have it on my own in ABIT BD7ii-RAID and i cant
say a bad word. I just dont believe in SIS or VIA ;(

The question is. Is GIGABYTE 8IDX any good? Will i have problems with it? if
yes, what kind of? Is it easy to update BIOS in that mobo? I will be glad to
hear anything good and bad abiut this model.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Michal Byrczek
http://www.colsel.prv.pl
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 3:44:08 PM

ah, i forgot to say that this computer is intended ONLY for MS Office and
Internet Browsing.
Is Pentium 4 and old SDRAM combination a good idea?
Does this board has USB 2.0 or the ports are in USB 1.1. standard?

Thanks for any info.

Regards
Byru
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 9:51:45 PM

byru wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to change my old home-compy which is now Intel Celeron II
> 850MHz on some undefined mobo with VIA chipset. It has 320MB SDRAM
> installed (both 100 and 133MHZ modules installed). I have my older
> Pentium 4 1.7GHZ CPU (willemate) and i would like to use it in the older
> computer. I have found a good deal GIGABYTE 8IDX to buy cheap. This board
> make use of older ram (SDRAM 133) so i will not have to buy DDRs for it.
>
> I know the i845 chipset, i have it on my own in ABIT BD7ii-RAID and i cant
> say a bad word. I just dont believe in SIS or VIA ;(
>
> The question is. Is GIGABYTE 8IDX any good? Will i have problems with it?
> if yes, what kind of? Is it easy to update BIOS in that mobo? I will be
> glad to hear anything good and bad abiut this model.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Best Regards
> Michal Byrczek
> http://www.colsel.prv.pl

Hi!
Whilst not the fastest combination by any means, a P4/SDRAM combo is fine
for your requirements. My father has this board in his machine and it's
pretty good.
I just rebuilt it using a P4 Northwood 1.6GHz replacing a P4 Celeron 1.7GHz
(a waste of time the P4 Celeron...). It's running rock-solid at 2.1GHz by
overclocking, using 512MB of PC133 RAM under WinXP.

The USB ports are 1.1 only, but a USB2 card is cheap these days - if you
have a digital camcorder, go for a firewire/usb2 combo card.

One caveat; if some of your old memory is PC100, the memory will probably
clock at 100MHz, *not* 133MHz. You should use all-PC133 DIMMS for that.

Hope that helps!
!