K8NF-9 + Winchester Code 3000+

Hi Chaps,

I've just built a computer for a friend using:
K8NF-9
Winchester Core 3000+
512Mb (2 x 256) Corsiar Value Select
XFX 6600GT 128Mb.

Unfortunately i'm totally buggered, the BIOS appeared to count the
memory on the first time i powered up the kit but shortly after that
the display signal dropped and i've never got anything out of the
monitor ever again.

Everything appears to be ok, no strange smell of burning PCB etc.
Simply nothing out of the display.

I've got support queries open with SCAN.co.uk and GigaByte but nothing
back so far.

A BIOS update might have done it but without any display for to to
interaction with the flash tool can't use it.

Any pointered would be greatly appriciated.
Oli

Check everything over again, what PSU do you have and what is the wattage?,
make sure all leads are conneted correctly incl. power to the mobo, i'm sure
you know you need a 24pin PSU + PCI-E power dongle for everything to work.

If all else fails try use another PC and test each component in that PC.

"Oli Watts" <oliwatts@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Chaps,
>
> I've just built a computer for a friend using:
> K8NF-9
> Winchester Core 3000+
> 512Mb (2 x 256) Corsiar Value Select
> XFX 6600GT 128Mb.
>
> Unfortunately i'm totally buggered, the BIOS appeared to count the
> memory on the first time i powered up the kit but shortly after that
> the display signal dropped and i've never got anything out of the
> monitor ever again.
>
> Everything appears to be ok, no strange smell of burning PCB etc.
> Simply nothing out of the display.
>
> I've got support queries open with SCAN.co.uk and GigaByte but nothing
> back so far.
>
> A BIOS update might have done it but without any display for to to
> interaction with the flash tool can't use it.
>
> Any pointered would be greatly appriciated.
> Oli

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for you advice.

I've checked the connections to death, can't see anything there. With the
PCI-E socket latch, memory, power connections and HSF locks its difficult to
get it drastically wrong but always worth checking.

On the subject of the PSU; I was caught off guard by the 24pin connector
however the MoBo did come with a little plastic guard over the top 4 pins,
the manual suggests removing it IF you have a 24pin PSU otherwise leave it.
To me this suggests it will run with a 20pin connection PSU as well, indeed
i was lucky enough to find a post this afternoon confirming that other
people are also running successfully with only 20pins on that particular
connector. I purchased a 350W, the manual states 300 or above.

My main problem is not being able to cross test the components in isolation
on another similar PC. I'm likely to have to take it to a shop and pay them
to test the bits separately for me. :-(

I was more concerned about the lack of details on the Giga-byte.com site
about Winchester cores (90nm i believe?!?), (no excuse for my poor research
but the board had 64bit support plastered all over the SCAN site and it's
packaging). Firstly the K8NF-9 isn't actually listed, the closest is the
K8N and even on those the Winchester cores simply aren't listed as
supported. SCAN.co.uk suggest this is because the English site isn't well
maintained however the 130nm are all listed and i can't check the .COM.TW
site cause i can't read it. The cores are different technology and I'm
hoping its not some stupid support issue which needs addressing in the BIOS
(which i can't update cause I have no display).

Any other ideas??

Many Thanks Oli.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Check everything over again, what PSU do you have and what is the
> wattage?, make sure all leads are conneted correctly incl. power to the
> mobo, i'm sure you know you need a 24pin PSU + PCI-E power dongle for
> everything to work.
>
> If all else fails try use another PC and test each component in that PC.
>

> "Oli Watts" <oliwatts@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi Chaps,
>>
>> I've just built a computer for a friend using:
>> K8NF-9
>> Winchester Core 3000+
>> 512Mb (2 x 256) Corsiar Value Select
>> XFX 6600GT 128Mb.
>>
>> Unfortunately i'm totally buggered, the BIOS appeared to count the
>> memory on the first time i powered up the kit but shortly after that
>> the display signal dropped and i've never got anything out of the
>> monitor ever again.
>>
>> Everything appears to be ok, no strange smell of burning PCB etc.
>> Simply nothing out of the display.
>>
>> I've got support queries open with SCAN.co.uk and GigaByte but nothing
>> back so far.
>>
>> A BIOS update might have done it but without any display for to to
>> interaction with the flash tool can't use it.
>>
>> Any pointered would be greatly appriciated.
>> Oli

First off, you did plug the four pin 12v header in, next to the CPU - in
addition to the 20 pin? The mobo won't boot without both being present and
you need a ATX v2 compliant PSU rated at least 350w.

I see can't any mention of 90nm against any of the boards on the giga byte
site - which leads me to suspect it isn't an issue with them. If you read
the forums at overclockers.co.uk there's lots of posts about the NF-9, none
of which mention problems with winchester.

Do you have another VGA card to try? An old PCI card will be okay to test
the mobo. Even with a 'fatal' CPU, memory or VGA error the mobo should beep
an error code.

If neither the above works then I'd guess your mobo is DOA, I've read that
most suppliers have only had grey imports of gigabyte NF4 boards to sell -
which were recalled after production due to problems. Your supplier might be
one of these?

"Oli WAtts" <Oli@no_mail_please.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> Hi Chaps,
>>>
>>> I've just built a computer for a friend using:
>>> K8NF-9
>>> Winchester Core 3000+
>>> 512Mb (2 x 256) Corsiar Value Select
>>> XFX 6600GT 128Mb.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately i'm totally buggered, the BIOS appeared to count the
>>> memory on the first time i powered up the kit but shortly after that
>>> the display signal dropped and i've never got anything out of the
>>> monitor ever again.
>>>
>>> Everything appears to be ok, no strange smell of burning PCB etc.
>>> Simply nothing out of the display.
>>>
>>> I've got support queries open with SCAN.co.uk and GigaByte but nothing
>>> back so far.
>>>
>>> A BIOS update might have done it but without any display for to to
>>> interaction with the flash tool can't use it.
>>>
>>> Any pointered would be greatly appriciated.

Hi RM,

Everything you've said tallies with what I've been told by suppliers and
support groups over the last few hours! It's nice when everyone's giving
you the same info, so many people out there taking blind guesses (colleagues
at work that is).

1) I've brought myself a power converter which turns the 20pin plug into a
24pin plug, didn't really rigging one up myself. I'm about to try it, I've
got my hope pinned on this one.

2) I've been handed a PCI VGA card by one of my more helpful colleagues so i
can cover the GFX card in case that's DOA.

3) I agree regarding the 90nm core, i would expect to see more details
suggesting a problem if it indeed one existed. Almost certainly a red
herring.

4) The 12v 4pin plug is indeed in place. The hard copy of the manual
provided is seriously flawed, the soft copy does look much different. It
definitely states a minimum of 300w and nothing about ATX v2 compliancy that
i could see, it even provides a handy cover for the extra 4pins not filled
by a 20pin plug.

5) SCAN.CO.UK have given up trying to troubleshoot the problem (1 email
regarding BIOS update, gee thanks!) and I've got till 02/02/05 to return the
MoBo. If indeed the grey imports are causing problems it will give me
leverage to swap it for another 939/PCI-E MoBo.

The lesson learnt: Don't get blasé about specing units for friends. You
can never spent enough time on the manufacturers web site, don't trust to
the specs provided by resellers, they are just a snip-it of info not the
definitive bottom line.

I'll report back my progress, hopefully i've have some better news.

Many thanks for you time.
Oli

"RM" <RM@hotter.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> closest is the K8N and even on those the Winchester cores simply aren't
>> listed as supported. SCAN.co.uk suggest this is because the English site
>> isn't well maintained however the 130nm are all listed and i can't check
>> the .COM.TW site cause i can't read it. The cores are different
>> technology and I'm hoping its not some stupid support issue which needs
>> addressing in the BIOS (which i can't update cause I have no display).
>>
>> Any other ideas??
>>
>> Many Thanks Oli.
>>

>> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Check everything over again, what PSU do you have and what is the
>>> wattage?, make sure all leads are conneted correctly incl. power to the
>>> mobo, i'm sure you know you need a 24pin PSU + PCI-E power dongle for
>>> everything to work.
>>>
>>> If all else fails try use another PC and test each component in that PC.

It was the PSU all along.

Despite the out right wrong details in the hardcopy of the manual a 24pin
ATX v2 power connector is essential.

Thanks everyone.

> [...]
>> closest is the K8N and even on those the Winchester cores simply aren't
>> listed as supported. SCAN.co.uk suggest this is because the English site
>> isn't well maintained however the 130nm are all listed and i can't check
>> the .COM.TW site cause i can't read it. The cores are different
>> technology and I'm hoping its not some stupid support issue which needs
>> addressing in the BIOS (which i can't update cause I have no display).
>>
>> Any other ideas??
>>
>> Many Thanks Oli.
>>

>> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Check everything over again, what PSU do you have and what is the
>>> wattage?, make sure all leads are conneted correctly incl. power to the
>>> mobo, i'm sure you know you need a 24pin PSU + PCI-E power dongle for
>>> everything to work.
>>>
>>> If all else fails try use another PC and test each component in that PC.

Really?...because people have reported using 20 pin PSU's and all was ok.
You can buy those 20 pin - 24 pin converters.

See here:

http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html

I purchased a couple, though maybe i should get a proper ATX V2 PSU to be
safe. My Gigabyte nForce4 Ultra has been shipped to me.

> It was the PSU all along.
>
> Despite the out right wrong details in the hardcopy of the manual a 24pin
> ATX v2 power connector is essential.
>
> Thanks everyone.

My K8NF-9 board is working fine with a 20 pin PSU, but it is an ATX v2
compliant model with the extra 4 pin 12v header.

"Richard Dower" wrote:
> Really?...because people have reported using 20 pin PSU's and
> all was ok.
> You can buy those 20 pin - 24 pin converters.
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html
>
> I purchased a couple, though maybe i should get a proper ATX
> V2 PSU to be
> safe. My Gigabyte nForce4 Ultra has been shipped to me.
>

> "Oli WAtts" <Oli@no_mail_please.com> wrote in message
> > It was the PSU all along.
> >
> > Despite the out right wrong details in the hardcopy of the
> manual a 24pin
> > ATX v2 power connector is essential.
> >
> > Thanks everyone.

Hello all,
I just purchased a GA-K8NF-9 with a 3000+, will arrive by this
weekend. The PSU I bought does not have a 24 pin connector
Will the 20 -> 24 pin adapter work? or will I have to get a new PSU. I
dont think I can return it for anythink but the same model.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-K8NF-Winchester-Code-3000-ftopict46206.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=234243