PSU info? games crashing

cookie

I built a PC for a mate and it randomly crashes when playing
fast 3D games ie. Richard Burns Rally, new Colin Mcrae

Specs:
Gigabyte K8NNXP
Athlon 3200 64bit
2 X 512MB Twinmos Ram in slots 1+2
Soundblaster Audigy
Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder
200G SATA HD
Win XP Pro SP1

The temperature readings are normal and using stock speeds

Ive tried changing setting AGP speed to X4, fast writes off ,
VPU recover off Etc..

Installed the latest chipset drivers and various other drivers.
Catalst and DirectX 9.0c

The PSU that came with the case is "no brand" eagle 350watt
that says Pentium4 on it, and im using an Athlon 3200 on a
Gigabyte K8NNXP, is there any difference with athlon and Pentuim
PSU's??

Sometimes games can be played for upto an hour and half before crashing,
its a solid crash/freeze only way to recover is to flick power switch and
reboot.
When I first built the PC strange artifects appeared in windows and games
this turned out to be a faulty radeon and has since been replaced.

Ive ran memtest for a few hours came up with no errors and ran various
burnin tests and cant get the ah heck to crash... only when playing games :-(

running out of ideas, anyone help

Thx in advance

--
Remove BITS to reply

lammBITSbretta@BITShotmailBITS.com

"Cookie" <lammBITSbretta@BITShotmailBITS.com> wrote in message
>I built a PC for a mate and it randomly crashes when playing
> fast 3D games ie. Richard Burns Rally, new Colin Mcrae
>
> Specs:
> Gigabyte K8NNXP
> Athlon 3200 64bit
> 2 X 512MB Twinmos Ram in slots 1+2
> Soundblaster Audigy
> Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder
> 200G SATA HD
> Win XP Pro SP1
>
> The temperature readings are normal and using stock speeds
>
> Ive tried changing setting AGP speed to X4, fast writes off ,
> VPU recover off Etc..
>
> Installed the latest chipset drivers and various other drivers.
> Catalst and DirectX 9.0c
>
> The PSU that came with the case is "no brand" eagle 350watt
> that says Pentium4 on it, and im using an Athlon 3200 on a
> Gigabyte K8NNXP, is there any difference with athlon and Pentuim
> PSU's??
>
> Sometimes games can be played for upto an hour and half before crashing,
> its a solid crash/freeze only way to recover is to flick power switch and
> reboot.
> When I first built the PC strange artifects appeared in windows and games
> this turned out to be a faulty radeon and has since been replaced.
>
> Ive ran memtest for a few hours came up with no errors and ran various
> burnin tests and cant get the ah heck to crash... only when playing games
> :-(
>
> running out of ideas, anyone help
>
> Thx in advance
>
> --
> Remove BITS to reply
>
> lammBITSbretta@BITShotmailBITS.com

Usually PSU's are clearly rated AMD approved, there used to be major issues
with power supplies and AMD motherboards, especially with the AGP slot
drawing so much power. The symptoms you describe could well be power
related - the PSU I've just built a A64 system with was badged AMD approved.

cookie

"Cookie" <lammBITSbretta@BITShotmailBITS.com> wrote in message
>I built a PC for a mate and it randomly crashes when playing
> fast 3D games ie. Richard Burns Rally, new Colin Mcrae
>
> Specs:
> Gigabyte K8NNXP
> Athlon 3200 64bit
> 2 X 512MB Twinmos Ram in slots 1+2
> Soundblaster Audigy
> Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder
> 200G SATA HD
> Win XP Pro SP1
>
> The temperature readings are normal and using stock speeds
>
> Ive tried changing setting AGP speed to X4, fast writes off ,
> VPU recover off Etc..
>
> Installed the latest chipset drivers and various other drivers.
> Catalst and DirectX 9.0c
>
> The PSU that came with the case is "no brand" eagle 350watt
> that says Pentium4 on it, and im using an Athlon 3200 on a
> Gigabyte K8NNXP, is there any difference with athlon and Pentuim
> PSU's??
>
> Sometimes games can be played for upto an hour and half before crashing,
> its a solid crash/freeze only way to recover is to flick power switch and
> reboot.
> When I first built the PC strange artifects appeared in windows and games
> this turned out to be a faulty radeon and has since been replaced.
>
> Ive ran memtest for a few hours came up with no errors and ran various
> burnin tests and cant get the ah heck to crash... only when playing games
> :-(
>
> running out of ideas, anyone help
>
> Thx in advance
>
> --