7N400L - random beeps

I built my system unit around twelve months ago using the Gigabyte 7N400L
MB, 512Mb PC2700 DDR, BIOS F11 the system has been very stable and seems to
be working fine ever since

My problem is that the system unit emits occasional 'scratchy' sounding
single beeps, for no apparent reason, the processor is running at about 64 C
degrees according to the BIOS which I believe is within normal range. I have
checked the MB manual and there is no apparent explanation for these beeps
within the 'beep list'.

There is a standard fan on the AMD Athlon 2600 processor and a turbo cooler
case fan inside (both of which seem to be working OK). I have turned off the
CPU and case fan warnings in BIOS, but it makes no difference if they're on
or off, it still beeps at random intervals.

I messaged Giga-Byte but the response in pigeon english only mentioned safe
operating temperatures and not the beeps

Has anyone got any ideas, at best it is irritating, at worst, are the beeps
indicating some problem?

Thanks for your help guys

Patrick
Worcs, UK

"pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message
>I built my system unit around twelve months ago using the Gigabyte 7N400L
>MB, 512Mb PC2700 DDR, BIOS F11 the system has been very stable and seems to
>be working fine ever since
>
> My problem is that the system unit emits occasional 'scratchy' sounding
> single beeps, for no apparent reason, the processor is running at about 64
> C degrees according to the BIOS which I believe is within normal range. I
> have checked the MB manual and there is no apparent explanation for these
> beeps within the 'beep list'.
>
> There is a standard fan on the AMD Athlon 2600 processor and a turbo
> cooler case fan inside (both of which seem to be working OK). I have
> turned off the CPU and case fan warnings in BIOS, but it makes no
> difference if they're on or off, it still beeps at random intervals.
>
> I messaged Giga-Byte but the response in pigeon english only mentioned
> safe operating temperatures and not the beeps
>
> Has anyone got any ideas, at best it is irritating, at worst, are the
> beeps indicating some problem?
>
> Thanks for your help guys
>

> Patrick
> Worcs, UK

So did you go to the BIOS disable the Warnings in PC Health?
JPS

"jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message
>>I built my system unit around twelve months ago using the Gigabyte 7N400L
>>MB, 512Mb PC2700 DDR, BIOS F11 the system has been very stable and seems
>>to be working fine ever since
>>
>> My problem is that the system unit emits occasional 'scratchy' sounding
>> single beeps, for no apparent reason, the processor is running at about
>> 64 C degrees according to the BIOS which I believe is within normal
>> range. I have checked the MB manual and there is no apparent explanation
>> for these beeps within the 'beep list'.
>>
>> There is a standard fan on the AMD Athlon 2600 processor and a turbo
>> cooler case fan inside (both of which seem to be working OK). I have
>> turned off the CPU and case fan warnings in BIOS, but it makes no
>> difference if they're on or off, it still beeps at random intervals.
>>
>> I messaged Giga-Byte but the response in pigeon english only mentioned
>> safe operating temperatures and not the beeps
>>
>> Has anyone got any ideas, at best it is irritating, at worst, are the
>> beeps indicating some problem?
>>
>> Thanks for your help guys
>>

>> Patrick
>> Worcs, UK
>>

> So did you go to the BIOS disable the Warnings in PC Health?
> JPS

Thanks for the reply, yes I disabled the warnings in PC Health and it still
beeps, whether the warnings are set on or off.

Patrick

> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message
>>>I built my system unit around twelve months ago using the Gigabyte 7N400L
>>>MB, 512Mb PC2700 DDR, BIOS F11 the system has been very stable and seems
>>>to be working fine ever since
>>>
>>> My problem is that the system unit emits occasional 'scratchy' sounding
>>> single beeps, for no apparent reason, the processor is running at about
>>> 64 C degrees according to the BIOS which I believe is within normal
>>> range. I have checked the MB manual and there is no apparent explanation
>>> for these beeps within the 'beep list'.
>>>
>>> There is a standard fan on the AMD Athlon 2600 processor and a turbo
>>> cooler case fan inside (both of which seem to be working OK). I have
>>> turned off the CPU and case fan warnings in BIOS, but it makes no
>>> difference if they're on or off, it still beeps at random intervals.
>>>
>>> I messaged Giga-Byte but the response in pigeon english only mentioned
>>> safe operating temperatures and not the beeps
>>>
>>> Has anyone got any ideas, at best it is irritating, at worst, are the
>>> beeps indicating some problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help guys
>>>

>>> Patrick
>>> Worcs, UK
>>>

>> So did you go to the BIOS disable the Warnings in PC Health?
>> JPS
>>

> Thanks for the reply, yes I disabled the warnings in PC Health and it
> still beeps, whether the warnings are set on or off.
>
> Patrick

You can eliminate one possible source by switching to the other BIOS chip.
F8 over to that screen and select the second BIOS chip and save the setting.

> "pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message

>>> So did you go to the BIOS disable the Warnings in PC Health?
>>> JPS
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply, yes I disabled the warnings in PC Health and it
>> still beeps, whether the warnings are set on or off.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
> You can eliminate one possible source by switching to the other BIOS chip.
> F8 over to that screen and select the second BIOS chip and save the
> setting.
> JPS

Unfortunately the 7N400L doesn't have dual BIOS, F8 takes you to the Quick
Flash utility and there is no dual BIOS option there.

Thanks anyway.

Patrick

"pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message news:h6MId.201594$Z7.139603@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the reply, yes I disabled the warnings in PC Health and it
>>> still beeps, whether the warnings are set on or off.
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>
>> You can eliminate one possible source by switching to the other BIOS chip.
>> F8 over to that screen and select the second BIOS chip and save the
>> setting.
>> JPS
>>

> Unfortunately the 7N400L doesn't have dual BIOS, F8 takes you to the Quick
> Flash utility and there is no dual BIOS option there.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Patrick

I'm experiencing the same problem! I have a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) I've been running for about a week now and I get those low volume raspy beeps during system boot and after loading Windows, but stops shortly after windows finishes loading. It really bothers me because I get the feeling something may be wrong.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the onboard sound, which I have disabled. I'm using a Audigy card in its place.

"pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message

> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "pgnl" <patstuff{removethis}@post.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the reply, yes I disabled the warnings in PC Health and it
>>> still beeps, whether the warnings are set on or off.
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>
>> You can eliminate one possible source by switching to the other BIOS
>> chip.
>> F8 over to that screen and select the second BIOS chip and save the
>> setting.
>> JPS
>>

> Unfortunately the 7N400L doesn't have dual BIOS, F8 takes you to the Quick
> Flash utility and there is no dual BIOS option there.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Patrick

Oh

>I'm experiencing the same problem! I have a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) I've
>been running for about a week now and I get those low >volume raspy beeps
>during system boot and after loading Windows, but stops shortly after
>windows finishes loading. It really bothers >me because I get the feeling
>something may be wrong.
>I'm guessing it may have something to do with the onboard sound, which I
>have disabled. I'm using a Audigy card in its place.

Well I get random beeps after bootup (and not during at all), but disabling
the onboard sound is certainly worth a try....

I will give it a go and report back Thanks...

>>I'm experiencing the same problem! I have a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) I've
>>been running for about a week now and I get those low >volume raspy beeps
>>during system boot and after loading Windows, but stops shortly after
>>windows finishes loading. It really bothers >me because I get the feeling
>>something may be wrong.
>>I'm guessing it may have something to do with the onboard sound, which I
>>have disabled. I'm using a Audigy card in its place.
>

> Well I get random beeps after bootup (and not during at all), but
> disabling the onboard sound is certainly worth a try....
>
> I will give it a go and report back Thanks...
>
> Patrick

Drat, nope that doesn't make any difference other than the beeps sound more
normal and less scratchy now.

Patrick