large capacity 160 gigabyte harddrive

I am adding a 160 gigabyte harddrive to my HP Pavilion 6465 desktop
and would prefer that the whole drive is recognized. Do I need to
update my bios and/or update XP to include SP2?

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-large-capacity-160-gigabyte-harddrive-ftopict240494.html

lee

IIRC it's not the OC that's the issue, nor the BIOS version, but your
motherboard which says whether it'll take the size of motherboard or not. I'm
sure there's a limit of 137.5 GB on some of the slightly older mobo's.

"scottnalaska" wrote:

> I am adding a 160 gigabyte harddrive to my HP Pavilion 6465 desktop
> and would prefer that the whole drive is recognized. Do I need to
> update my bios and/or update XP to include SP2?
>
> --
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
> Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-large-capacity-160-gigabyte-harddrive-ftopict240494.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=729428

How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk
drives in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

scottnalaska wrote:

> I am adding a 160 gigabyte harddrive to my HP Pavilion 6465 desktop
> and would prefer that the whole drive is recognized. Do I need to
> update my bios and/or update XP to include SP2?

> "scottnalaska" wrote:
>
>> I am adding a 160 gigabyte harddrive to my HP Pavilion 6465 desktop
>> and would prefer that the whole drive is recognized. Do I need to
>> update my bios and/or update XP to include SP2?

Scott:
There are two basic requirements for Windows XP to recognize the full
capacity of large-capacity drives, i.e., drives having a capacity greater
than 137 GB.
1. Your mainboard's BIOS must support large-capacity disks, and,
2. SP1 or SP2 has been installed at the time the drive has been installed.

Contact HP to see if your motherboard's BIOS supports large-capacity disks
and if it doesn't, whether any BIOS update is available to provide this
support. Ensure that SP1 and/or SP2 has been installed on your system before
you install the new HD.

In the event your motherboard does not support large-drive capability, you
can purchase a controller card such as the Promise ULTRA133 TX2 to support
this capability. They're not terribly expensive, running about $35.
Art