GA-K8NSXP-939 Problem?

I've got two SATA drives connected to the SiliconImage controller (didn't
like nVidia's at all) and have them in RAID0 config.

I'm trying to install Windows 98 (already have WindowsXP on it), but when
the computer is booted by a Windows 98 Boot Disk I get this message when
trying to access any FAT32 partitions 'Invalid Media Type when reading
'drive letter''

All FAT32 partitions have data on them, all of which XP can see. It's just
when using the boot disk I get this problem.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Could it be a BIOS issue? Using F7.

TIA

Peter

--

All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005

windows98 overwrites the bootblock, so it will fubar your winXP installation
regardless. Theres ways around it, so google is your friend.
Thought i'd better bring this to your attention before u go and blow your Xp
up.

"Peter Geddes" <p.geddes@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I've got two SATA drives connected to the SiliconImage controller (didn't
> like nVidia's at all) and have them in RAID0 config.
>
> I'm trying to install Windows 98 (already have WindowsXP on it), but when
> the computer is booted by a Windows 98 Boot Disk I get this message when
> trying to access any FAT32 partitions 'Invalid Media Type when reading
> 'drive letter''
>
> All FAT32 partitions have data on them, all of which XP can see. It's
just
> when using the boot disk I get this problem.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix it? Could it be a BIOS issue? Using F7.
>
> TIA
>
> Peter
>
> --
>
> All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:53:19 -0000, "Peter Geddes"

>I've got two SATA drives connected to the SiliconImage controller (didn't
>like nVidia's at all) and have them in RAID0 config.
>
>I'm trying to install Windows 98 (already have WindowsXP on it), but when
>the computer is booted by a Windows 98 Boot Disk I get this message when
>trying to access any FAT32 partitions 'Invalid Media Type when reading
>'drive letter''
>
>All FAT32 partitions have data on them, all of which XP can see. It's just
>when using the boot disk I get this problem.
>
>Any ideas on how to fix it? Could it be a BIOS issue? Using F7.
>
>TIA
>
>Peter

you are positive that it is FAT32? XP installs NTFS partitions by
default

XP is installed on an NTFS partiton. The partitioning was done by
PartitionMagic. The partition I want to put 98 onto is active.

HTH

Peter

"Andy Lee" <arl@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:53:19 -0000, "Peter Geddes"
>
>>I've got two SATA drives connected to the SiliconImage controller (didn't
>>like nVidia's at all) and have them in RAID0 config.
>>
>>I'm trying to install Windows 98 (already have WindowsXP on it), but when
>>the computer is booted by a Windows 98 Boot Disk I get this message when
>>trying to access any FAT32 partitions 'Invalid Media Type when reading
>>'drive letter''
>>
>>All FAT32 partitions have data on them, all of which XP can see. It's
>>just
>>when using the boot disk I get this problem.
>>
>>Any ideas on how to fix it? Could it be a BIOS issue? Using F7.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Peter
>

> you are positive that it is FAT32? XP installs NTFS partitions by
> default

>>>I'm trying to install Windows 98 (already have WindowsXP on it), but when
>>>the computer is booted by a Windows 98 Boot Disk I get this message when
>>>trying to access any FAT32 partitions 'Invalid Media Type when reading
>>>'drive letter''
>>>
>>>All FAT32 partitions have data on them, all of which XP can see. It's
>>>just
>>>when using the boot disk I get this problem.
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how to fix it? Could it be a BIOS issue? Using F7.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Peter
>>

>> you are positive that it is FAT32? XP installs NTFS partitions by
>> default

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:14:18 -0000, "Peter Geddes"

>XP is installed on an NTFS partiton. The partitioning was done by
>PartitionMagic. The partition I want to put 98 onto is active.
>
>HTH
>
>Peter

Peter as another poster has mentioned If you have already installed XP
Win 98 will rewrite the boot disk and screw up your XP install. Please
give us an idea what partions you have and what drive letters they are
assigned in XP and what Format they are in i.e. NTFS and FAT32

OK, here goes: - Two 200GB SATA's in RAID0 config.

Win98 - FAT32 Primary 10GB
WinXP - NTFS Primary 15GB
Games - FAT32 Logical 10GB
MyStuff - FAT32 Logical 1GB
Misc-Progs - FAT32 Logical 5GB
MP3 - FAT32 Logical 75GB
IECHE-TMP - FAT32 Logical 5GB
WINCABS - FAT32 Logical 1GB
INET-CD - FAT32 Logical 20GB
VIDMOVIE - NTFS Logical 215GB

Thats how it's setup. From what has been said, would it be better to
install 98 first then XP? I have XP backed up to a Ghost image so I can get
rid of it and then put it back on again.

HTH

>>> you are positive that it is FAT32? XP installs NTFS partitions by
>>> default
>>
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:14:18 -0000, "Peter Geddes"
>
>>XP is installed on an NTFS partiton. The partitioning was done by
>>PartitionMagic. The partition I want to put 98 onto is active.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Peter
>>

> Peter as another poster has mentioned If you have already installed XP
> Win 98 will rewrite the boot disk and screw up your XP install. Please
> give us an idea what partions you have and what drive letters they are
> assigned in XP and what Format they are in i.e. NTFS and FAT32

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:05:53 -0000, "Peter Geddes"

>OK, here goes: - Two 200GB SATA's in RAID0 config.
>
>Win98 - FAT32 Primary 10GB
>WinXP - NTFS Primary 15GB
>Games - FAT32 Logical 10GB
>MyStuff - FAT32 Logical 1GB
>Misc-Progs - FAT32 Logical 5GB
>MP3 - FAT32 Logical 75GB
>IECHE-TMP - FAT32 Logical 5GB
>WINCABS - FAT32 Logical 1GB
>INET-CD - FAT32 Logical 20GB
>VIDMOVIE - NTFS Logical 215GB

Yikes lots of partitions!

>Thats how it's setup. From what has been said, would it be better to
>install 98 first then XP? I have XP backed up to a Ghost image so I can get
>rid of it and then put it back on again.

Definately 98 First however if you then re Ghost your XP install I
think you will then not be able to boot 98 again. What you will need
to do is do a repair install of the existing XP install after the
Win98 install, this should pickup the 98 System (When completed) and
give you the NT bootloader giving you the choice of which OS to load.
As usual make sure you have backups of the XP system before attempting
this.

I have never installed 98 onto a Raid 0 drive and I presume you will
need to either load similar drivers to XP during the install or Win 98
can access the partition throught the Bios directly.

Andy