I have had A problem with my PC's bios resetting for some time now. It
happens about twice a month at no special time. This has also happened on
other PC's I have built, the only common component being the Processor ( AMD
Athlon XP from 2000 to 2400).
Can anyone shed some light on the cause.

Thanks
Trev

Are you possibly getting a bad CMOS battery or a Bad CMOS battery connection?
This will do it.

BMR777

You are trying to overclock the CPU or RAM?

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

If you knew half as much as you think you know,
You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

"t.robinson" <t.robinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have had A problem with my PC's bios resetting for some time now. It
>happens about twice a month at no special time. This has also happened on
>other PC's I have built, the only common component being the Processor (
>AMD Athlon XP from 2000 to 2400).
> Can anyone shed some light on the cause.
>
> Thanks
> Trev

Do you really mean "BIOS reset" or "PC reboot"? If the former, that has
nothing to do with XP, or any other operating system, and is likely a
hardware problem. If you are lucky, it is simple, like a battery or loose
wire. Some BIOSs will revert to default sttings, if they sense that certain
errors have occurred, such as over-heated CPU, lost bits in RAM, etc. These
are usually caused by extreme overclocking, but could also be caused by poor
cooling, or bad parts. In the case of RAM, if multiple sticks, are they all
the same speed/manufacturer? If none of the above applies, start thinking
about a new motherboard. Also, if a BIOS issue, try contacting the
motherboard support site.