High end video editing computer

Solution
Wow. Super useful replies. lol

This all depends on what you want to do and your budget.

High end you're looking into the thousands. Low end, for video you're still looking at thousands....just not as many. It also depends on the program(s) you will use. Some use CPU as the renderer, others the GPU, others both.

A little more info on what you want to do would be very helpful. Do you just want to edit home movies or do you want to create a animated movie?

One key thing to keep in mind, video editing requires a lot of memory and processing power. This is why the Tesla line of GPU's from Nvidia have 7GB+ memory onboard. This is needed for effective frame buffering.

As much as it saddens me to say this, as I myself am an...

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Wow. Super useful replies. lol

This all depends on what you want to do and your budget.

High end you're looking into the thousands. Low end, for video you're still looking at thousands....just not as many. It also depends on the program(s) you will use. Some use CPU as the renderer, others the GPU, others both.

A little more info on what you want to do would be very helpful. Do you just want to edit home movies or do you want to create a animated movie?

One key thing to keep in mind, video editing requires a lot of memory and processing power. This is why the Tesla line of GPU's from Nvidia have 7GB+ memory onboard. This is needed for effective frame buffering.

As much as it saddens me to say this, as I myself am an AMD user, Intel would actually be your better choice for video editing. Either would work, but AMD is geared more for the biggest bang for your buck, which is awesome in gaming, but Intel has features that AMD don't in some of their chips. This too really boils down to budget and preference. And if you do go AMD, go with the top of the line CPU they have now. The 1055T is the lower end 6 core.

Video editing takes a lot of money for big scale prouctions. Most studios have render farms that are comprised of many computers networked together to share the huge load of video editing/rendering.

Without more info, this about sums up what advice I can give atm.

Solution

Mir Ferdous

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I exactly don't know what is your budget.I your budget is high.Then your PC config may be following.

Processor - core i 7 extreme (Sandy Bridge is preferable);"Intel® Core™ i7-980X processor Extreme Edition" is a good model,it has 6 cores and 12 processing threads with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology

Ram - 8 GB or more, minimum 1333gh

Motherboard - Intel® X58 Express Chipset-based motherboards, brand- asus or gigabyte. USB3,Sata III compatible.

Harddisk - Sata III(6Gbps),2 terabyte HD oru can also use SSD,but it is so costly

Graphics Card -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Sound Card - Creative PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Professional Audio

itsbill

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I recently built a sub $1000 video editing system based, in part, on the recommendations on these forums. Edit using 32 bit Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 10 and 64 bit Sony Vegas Pro 10. Editing AVCHD video. Intel i7 2600 was my processor of choice. Low end Nvidia CUDA 1 gb video card. 8 gb Ram. Previews and time line scrubbing are butter smooth. Renders fast at about 2.5X the project length. Makes the whole editing experience just about perfect. I think these new processors have finally caught up with the highly compressed AVCHD files.

catalina7246

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
thank you for your detailed reply. I am geared for all home movies. I like to edit and make a story from common videos. Old and new. I use Studio 14 and I have used it from the beginning. I also have Liquid but seldom use it. I bought Sony program but just didn't take time to learn it so I guess I will keep using Pinnacle Studio.

When I edit now, it seems i go faster than the computer. Sometimes it freezes up and I start over. I would think under $2000 would be high end to me.

Is that a clearer question?
I was thinking of 16 Gig RAM-
Intel high end processor
Mother board no idea
Video card - need suggestion
I wanted to have 500 gig internal hard drive because I place all my work on external HD when completed.

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Well,

For Studio, all you really need is a basic system. You will never find a machine that edits as fast as we can. For all the software you listed, you would do well with the the best CPU you can afford, a mid-to-high end ASUS Motherboard, Either Nvidia or ATI cards will work, as those programs aren't really GPU intensive, but Nvidia with its CUDA processing is an excellent choice, as this offloads some of the work to the GPU and speeds rendering time, something ATI cards don't have. I would recommend any of the GTX4xx series cards, as the 5xx series is having some bumps right now. The bigger the number, the more CUDA cores, the faster the work gets through.

Here is the models of the parts I recommend:

Motherboard:

ASUS M4N75TD, as this board is a tried and true, bulletproof board that still works great, and the Nforce 700 chipset is one of the good ones. $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131637

CPU:

AMD 1090T. You don't need to spend big for what you want to do, so Intel is not really needed for this. The 6 core 1090T works great for basic video rendering, as I too do this and am amazed at the performance. $199 (or go to the 1100T for $239)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Memory:

If you really want to go with 16GB (which I would say is overkill, not to mention expensive), your best bet would be to shop around for a great deal. 4GB sticks are not cheap. I would recommend 8GB of OCZ or G-Skill. You will have to check your QVL for the motherboard you choose for compatibility. Looking at anywhere from $60-250 depending on type used.

Video Card:

If you want a good card that will last, get a Nvidia GTX470 or GTX480, or you could go big and nab a 570 or 580, but these will be around for a while, the 400 series are dropping in price to get rid of stock and they are just as good as the newest cards. I have 2 GTX480's in SLI and there ain't nothing out there in the video game world that can even phase these cards at max graphics settings, plus they speed up render time for Windows Live Movie Maker. You don't need to spend $2,000 on a tesla line card for home projects. GTX480 $459 (prices vary depending on manufacturer and place of purchase...example is of a Superclocked version)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130558

PSU:

Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600 watt should suffice. I've used Thermaltake for years, and never a problem. $69

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153114

Keep in mind that 600 Watts is the minimum required by the GTX470/GTX480 cards. You can go higher in power, but cost rises as well.

Case:

I use Cooler Master cases. You can choose whatever suits your needs and fits your budget/space requirements.

Hard Drive:

I would suggest a Western Digital Black Edition drive. These drives perform well for the money. Unless you want to spend 3 x's the money for a 10,000 RPM 300GB, the WD500 is a great drive. SSD technology is still far too expensive for my tastes as of yet, not to mention the quirks. Nothing is perfect tho. $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

With this machine, you will be able to create, edit and render your home projects for many years to come without issue. And it saves you a chunk of change over an Intel setup. For $1,100, you will be quite pleased I'm sure. Some cost can be cut in the graphics department, if you dont want a high end enthusiast card.

Your only choice now is what Operating System you choose.

Hope this helps.