GA-7VT600 1394 IDE problems

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I installed an SATA drive and loaded XP Pro while two IDE drives were
attached. It would boot from the SATA after it showed an option screen of
two instances of XP from which to boot. If I removed either of the IDE
drives, it wouldn't boot from the SATA. I reloaded the SATA as per Tech
Support's suggestion, and it now boots with just the SATA, but won't boot if
either IDE drive is attached, boot sector or not. External IDE thru USB
drives read fine. Is it not possible to have it boot from the SATA and still
have the IDEs attached? I've tried endless combinations of bios settings for
boot sequence without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Voila... Problem solved with a bios update from Ver. 5 to Ver. 7 The post
screen now shows the SATA on IDE channel 3 and there's a new boot option
section in the bios. It's a shame that the response from Gigabyte made no
reference to the updated bios to address this issue. Perhaps this will help
anyone else who runs into this mess.