Gigabyte 8KNXP and Windows XP Pro SP2

Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
combination successfully?

Thanks,
Jim

I'm using an 8KNXP rev. 2 board. I haven't had any problems.

"Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
> combination successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
> combination successfully?

I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
1 under Windows XP.

It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm

(Otherwise, I've been running quite stably w/ my rev 1 8KNXP, with both
Windows XP and Linux.)

regards,
Kris

"Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
> combination successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Yes, revision 2.1 motherboard...perfect, latest FJ BIOS.

Si

Me too. Revision 2.0 board, no problems.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

In article <1107298765.3209.23.camel@paladin.erusen.net>,
nothanks@noonehere.org says...
> > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
> > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
> > combination successfully?
>

> I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
> 1 under Windows XP.
>
> It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,
>
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm
>

> (Otherwise, I've been running quite stably w/ my rev 1 8KNXP, with both
> Windows XP and Linux.)
>
> regards,
> Kris

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a rev 1 board with Award BIOS v
6.00PG (04/30/03).

Jim

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:42:28 GMT, Jim Garson <jg2893@aol.com> waffled
on about something:

>Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
>creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
>combination successfully?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim

I'm running a rev 1 8KNXP with XP SP2

Never had any problems with SP2.

I'm using all 4 IDE buses, nothing on Sata and a rather old (but it
ain't broke, so don't fix it) 6a bios.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

No problems at all on a Rev. 1 board.

"Kris Vorwerk" <nothanks@noonehere.org> wrote in message

>> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
>> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
>> combination successfully?
>

> I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
> 1 under Windows XP.
>
> It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,

I upgraded to SP2 while running SATA RAID0 and have had no problems. I
think the issues had to do with installing XP with RAID0 or 1, and like you
said was supposedly fixed with the 13a (beta) bios. It's been in beta since
being introduced in Nov. 2004, so I wonder when it loses the beta moniker?

> Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a rev 1 board with Award BIOS v
> 6.00PG (04/30/03).

You might want to upgrade the bios as a precaution, as v6 is quite old.
I've had no trouble with any since this board's original v5, and am now on
13a (beta).

No problem here running a rev 1 board.

"Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
> combination successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Tim

I upgraded to XP SP2 while running RAID 1 an dno problems (rev 1 mobo).
The bios would have been F10 or F11 at the time.
- Tim

"Kris Vorwerk" <nothanks@noonehere.org> wrote in message
>> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
>> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
>> combination successfully?
>

> I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
> 1 under Windows XP.
>
> It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,
>
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm
>

> (Otherwise, I've been running quite stably w/ my rev 1 8KNXP, with both
> Windows XP and Linux.)
>
> regards,
> Kris

SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
those ports.

> SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
> the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
> couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
> those ports.

Oddly enough, I found the same thing. (I have the same board as you.)
Though, I always attributed it to being flaky under Linux. It's
interesting to hear that you have this problem under Windows ... (Seems
to point to weirdness in the hardware.)

Kris

> What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
> everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
> that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.

For example, my Sony digital camera (DSC-P72) doesn't work on the front
ports, but works fine on the back. (I think it's a USB 2.0-compliant
device ... but I'm not sure if that's the cause.)

cheers,
Kris

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:28:49 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
<nothanks@noonehere.org> waffled on about something:

>> SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
>> the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
>> couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
>> those ports.
>

>Oddly enough, I found the same thing. (I have the same board as you.)
>Though, I always attributed it to being flaky under Linux. It's
>interesting to hear that you have this problem under Windows ... (Seems
>to point to weirdness in the hardware.)
>

>Kris

What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.

I am using a very old bios (6A), and no sata drives as yet.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:09:57 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
<nothanks@noonehere.org> waffled on about something:

>> What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
>> everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
>> that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.
>

>For example, my Sony digital camera (DSC-P72) doesn't work on the front
>ports, but works fine on the back. (I think it's a USB 2.0-compliant
>device ... but I'm not sure if that's the cause.)
>

>cheers,
>Kris

That's a point, I must admit I haven't tried my Olympus digi cam. I'll
give that a go and see what happens.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:09:57 -0500, Kris Vorwerk <nothanks@noonehere.org>
wrote:

>> What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
>> everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
>> that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.
>

>For example, my Sony digital camera (DSC-P72) doesn't work on the front
>ports, but works fine on the back. (I think it's a USB 2.0-compliant
>device ... but I'm not sure if that's the cause.)
>

>cheers,
>Kris

May be they are not wired correctly, some cases use individual MoBo plugs for
the front USB Sockets..

It's USB 2.0 devices that don't seem to work in my front ports.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:47:34 -0500, KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net> wrote:

>It's USB 2.0 devices that don't seem to work in my front ports.

May be they are not connected correctly..??

Some Cases use multiple plugs..

Jim Garson wrote:
> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
> combination successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I know this is a late reply, but I've got a GA-8KNS Ultra 939 running
with Service Pack 2, and no problems as of yet, other than the 1394B
problem with Service Pack 2. That was a SP2 specific issue which has
been fixed with Microsoft's KB885222 patch however.

-Rick