Gigabyte 8KNXP and Windows XP Pro SP2

Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
combination successfully?

Thanks,
Jim
20 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte 8knxp windows

    I'm using an 8KNXP rev. 2 board. I haven't had any problems.

    "Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > combination successfully?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > combination successfully?

    I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
    1 under Windows XP.

    It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,

    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm

    (Otherwise, I've been running quite stably w/ my rev 1 8KNXP, with both
    Windows XP and Linux.)

    regards,
    Kris

    "Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > combination successfully?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Yes, revision 2.1 motherboard...perfect, latest FJ BIOS.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Me too. Revision 2.0 board, no problems.

    Si

    --
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    >> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    >> combination successfully?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim
    >
    > Yes, revision 2.1 motherboard...perfect, latest FJ BIOS.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    In article <1107298765.3209.23.camel@paladin.erusen.net>,
    nothanks@noonehere.org says...
    > > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > > combination successfully?
    >

    > I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
    > 1 under Windows XP.
    >
    > It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,
    >
    > http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm
    >

    > (Otherwise, I've been running quite stably w/ my rev 1 8KNXP, with both
    > Windows XP and Linux.)
    >
    > regards,
    > Kris

    Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a rev 1 board with Award BIOS v
    6.00PG (04/30/03).

    Jim
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:42:28 GMT, Jim Garson <jg2893@aol.com> waffled
    on about something:

    >Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    >creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    >combination successfully?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

    I'm running a rev 1 8KNXP with XP SP2

    Never had any problems with SP2.

    I'm using all 4 IDE buses, nothing on Sata and a rather old (but it
    ain't broke, so don't fix it) 6a bios.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    No problems at all on a Rev. 1 board.

    "Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > combination successfully?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Kris Vorwerk" <nothanks@noonehere.org> wrote in message

    >> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    >> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    >> combination successfully?
    >

    > I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
    > 1 under Windows XP.
    >
    > It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,

    I upgraded to SP2 while running SATA RAID0 and have had no problems. I
    think the issues had to do with installing XP with RAID0 or 1, and like you
    said was supposedly fixed with the 13a (beta) bios. It's been in beta since
    being introduced in Nov. 2004, so I wonder when it loses the beta moniker?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Thanks, I forgot to mention that I have a rev 1 board with Award BIOS v
    > 6.00PG (04/30/03).

    You might want to upgrade the bios as a precaution, as v6 is quite old.
    I've had no trouble with any since this board's original v5, and am now on
    13a (beta).
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    No problem here running a rev 1 board.

    "Jim Garson" <jg2893@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > combination successfully?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I upgraded to XP SP2 while running RAID 1 an dno problems (rev 1 mobo).
    The bios would have been F10 or F11 at the time.
    - Tim

    "Kris Vorwerk" <nothanks@noonehere.org> wrote in message
    >> Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    >> creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    >> combination successfully?
    >

    > I think that the problem was related to SATA drives running w/ RAID 0 or
    > 1 under Windows XP.
    >
    > It appears to be fixed with the latest BIOS; c.f.,
    >
    > http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm
    >

    > (Otherwise, I've been running quite stably w/ my rev 1 8KNXP, with both
    > Windows XP and Linux.)
    >
    > regards,
    > Kris

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
    the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
    couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
    those ports.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
    > the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
    > couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
    > those ports.

    Oddly enough, I found the same thing. (I have the same board as you.)
    Though, I always attributed it to being flaky under Linux. It's
    interesting to hear that you have this problem under Windows ... (Seems
    to point to weirdness in the hardware.)

    Kris
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
    > everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
    > that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.

    For example, my Sony digital camera (DSC-P72) doesn't work on the front
    ports, but works fine on the back. (I think it's a USB 2.0-compliant
    device ... but I'm not sure if that's the cause.)

    cheers,
    Kris
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:28:49 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
    <nothanks@noonehere.org> waffled on about something:

    >> SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
    >> the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
    >> couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
    >> those ports.
    >

    >Oddly enough, I found the same thing. (I have the same board as you.)
    >Though, I always attributed it to being flaky under Linux. It's
    >interesting to hear that you have this problem under Windows ... (Seems
    >to point to weirdness in the hardware.)
    >

    >Kris

    What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
    everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
    that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.

    I am using a very old bios (6A), and no sata drives as yet.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:09:57 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
    <nothanks@noonehere.org> waffled on about something:

    >> What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
    >> everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
    >> that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.
    >

    >For example, my Sony digital camera (DSC-P72) doesn't work on the front
    >ports, but works fine on the back. (I think it's a USB 2.0-compliant
    >device ... but I'm not sure if that's the cause.)
    >

    >cheers,
    >Kris

    That's a point, I must admit I haven't tried my Olympus digi cam. I'll
    give that a go and see what happens.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:09:57 -0500, Kris Vorwerk <nothanks@noonehere.org>
    wrote:

    >> What kind of devices cause the problem? I have 8KNXP with SP2, and
    >> everything I've ever tried on the front ports work... From memory
    >> that's mouse, pen drive, webcam and hercules DJ console.
    >

    >For example, my Sony digital camera (DSC-P72) doesn't work on the front
    >ports, but works fine on the back. (I think it's a USB 2.0-compliant
    >device ... but I'm not sure if that's the cause.)
    >

    >cheers,
    >Kris

    May be they are not wired correctly, some cases use individual MoBo plugs for
    the front USB Sockets..
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    It's USB 2.0 devices that don't seem to work in my front ports.

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:35:33 -0500, KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net>
    wrote:

    >SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
    >the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
    >couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
    >those ports.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:47:34 -0500, KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net> wrote:

    >It's USB 2.0 devices that don't seem to work in my front ports.

    May be they are not connected correctly..??

    Some Cases use multiple plugs..

    >On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:35:33 -0500, KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>SP2 here with rev 1 board and SATA RAID. Only problem I've had is with
    >>the USB ports that connect to the front of the case. They work with a
    >>couple USB devices, but most USB devices do not work when connected to
    >>those ports.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Jim Garson wrote:
    > Last year there I noticed one or two comments about Service Pack 2
    > creating problems on a Gigabyte 8KNXP system. Is anyone running this
    > combination successfully?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    I know this is a late reply, but I've got a GA-8KNS Ultra 939 running
    with Service Pack 2, and no problems as of yet, other than the 1394B
    problem with Service Pack 2. That was a SP2 specific issue which has
    been fixed with Microsoft's KB885222 patch however.

    -Rick

Gigabyte Windows XP Motherboards