I have XP Home and installed SP2. First error message "Access denied" came
up when I tried to access either CDROM drive (I have 2), A: floppy drive or
USB memory stick.I was told to uninstall Norton Antivirus and now I get the
message to"Insert disc" when I am trying to access. The Drivers are said to
work fine, the Drive letters show up in my computer> I uninstalled Roxio as
well, just to make sure.At one point after rebooting, the CD ROM was
accessible once and then stopped again. For a few seconds the little disc
icon comes up, but it doesn't do anything. I have read all postings I found,
but have not seen a proper answer. Would an uninstall of SP2 be advisable?
Thankful for any help.
Matt1

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code
19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

Matt1 wrote:

> I have XP Home and installed SP2. First error message "Access denied" came
> up when I tried to access either CDROM drive (I have 2), A: floppy drive or
> USB memory stick.I was told to uninstall Norton Antivirus and now I get the
> message to"Insert disc" when I am trying to access. The Drivers are said to
> work fine, the Drive letters show up in my computer> I uninstalled Roxio as
> well, just to make sure.At one point after rebooting, the CD ROM was
> accessible once and then stopped again. For a few seconds the little disc
> icon comes up, but it doesn't do anything. I have read all postings I found,
> but have not seen a proper answer. Would an uninstall of SP2 be advisable?
> Thankful for any help.
> Matt1

Thanks for the quick response. I am hesistant to go into the registry, as I
don't have any of the error messages as this solution suggests. Only 'Insert
disc" message.
Could it be something else before I venture into the registry?

"Bob I" wrote:

> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code
> 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

> Matt1 wrote:
>
> > I have XP Home and installed SP2. First error message "Access denied" came
> > up when I tried to access either CDROM drive (I have 2), A: floppy drive or
> > USB memory stick.I was told to uninstall Norton Antivirus and now I get the
> > message to"Insert disc" when I am trying to access. The Drivers are said to
> > work fine, the Drive letters show up in my computer> I uninstalled Roxio as
> > well, just to make sure.At one point after rebooting, the CD ROM was
> > accessible once and then stopped again. For a few seconds the little disc
> > icon comes up, but it doesn't do anything. I have read all postings I found,
> > but have not seen a proper answer. Would an uninstall of SP2 be advisable?
> > Thankful for any help.
> > Matt1

If the correct drivers are being used the the usual problem is the
"helpful" software made entries in the registry that will need to be
removed.

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

The other choice is to swing over to Kellys-Korner and try some of the
"scripts there.

Matt1 wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. I am hesistant to go into the registry, as I
> don't have any of the error messages as this solution suggests. Only 'Insert
> disc" message.
> Could it be something else before I venture into the registry?
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code
>>19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/
>>
>>Matt1 wrote:
>>

>>>I have XP Home and installed SP2. First error message "Access denied" came
>>>up when I tried to access either CDROM drive (I have 2), A: floppy drive or
>>>USB memory stick.I was told to uninstall Norton Antivirus and now I get the
>>>message to"Insert disc" when I am trying to access. The Drivers are said to
>>>work fine, the Drive letters show up in my computer> I uninstalled Roxio as
>>>well, just to make sure.At one point after rebooting, the CD ROM was
>>>accessible once and then stopped again. For a few seconds the little disc
>>>icon comes up, but it doesn't do anything. I have read all postings I found,
>>>but have not seen a proper answer. Would an uninstall of SP2 be advisable?
>>>Thankful for any help.
>>>Matt1

I really appreciate your responses. I tried everything, even the Reg changes
but it didn't help.(Actually there was no "Higher level value" However,
finally I figured I should start removing various old SW. And now it works
again! I believe an old CD burn SW called InCD was the culprit. Or it worked
fine before SP2 was installed, so the combination seems wrong. I installed a
new SW, NTI CD maker Gold and have now managed to backup and burn new
CDs.Again Bob, Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Regards

"Bob I" wrote:

> If the correct drivers are being used the the usual problem is the
> "helpful" software made entries in the registry that will need to be
> removed.
>

> How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
>
> The other choice is to swing over to Kellys-Korner and try some of the
> "scripts there.

> Matt1 wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the quick response. I am hesistant to go into the registry, as I
> > don't have any of the error messages as this solution suggests. Only 'Insert
> > disc" message.
> > Could it be something else before I venture into the registry?
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code
> >>19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
> >>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Glad to hear it's running again, and hope you had a Merry Christmas also.