Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabyte tech support

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2005 11:47:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I posted
a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.

Yesterday I thought I'd give GigaUK a call to ask how long it would take to
get a response to an email (duh!). A recorded message first gives you the
'office opening hours' (generally 9-5pm, but closed for lunch 1-2pm) before
the menu option. When I first rang at 10.30am, the call transfered to a
lady in Milton Keynes who couldn't answer my query (whatever it was) and
suggested I ring back later. I tried again at 4pm - the office was now
closed and when I waited for the tone to leave a message, got the warning -
'sorry the voice box is full, you 're out of luck.

Does anyone know if anyone from Gigabyte lurks in this newsgroup, who might
be able to give a morsel of confidence in their technical support system?

Cheers
PL

More about : gigabyte tech support

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2005 12:14:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 08:47 +0000, PLplapinATlineoneDOTn wrote:
> In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
> unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I posted
> a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.


I have sent two emails via the online Gigabyte support system: I waited
for over 2 months for a response to the first one, and a little over 3
weeks for the second.

Suffice to say, while I like my 8KNXP -- I'm on my second board, as the
first one died mysteriously and was RMA'd -- I'll never buy another
Gigabyte product.


Kris
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2005 2:40:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"PL" <plapin AT lineone DOT net> wrote in message
news:11014tk9n2nmn56@corp.supernews.com...
> In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
> unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I
posted
> a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.
>
> Yesterday I thought I'd give GigaUK a call to ask how long it would take
to
> get a response to an email (duh!). A recorded message first gives you the
> 'office opening hours' (generally 9-5pm, but closed for lunch 1-2pm)
before
> the menu option. When I first rang at 10.30am, the call transfered to a
> lady in Milton Keynes who couldn't answer my query (whatever it was) and
> suggested I ring back later. I tried again at 4pm - the office was now
> closed and when I waited for the tone to leave a message, got the
warning -
> 'sorry the voice box is full, you 're out of luck.
>
> Does anyone know if anyone from Gigabyte lurks in this newsgroup, who
might
> be able to give a morsel of confidence in their technical support system?
>
> Cheers
> PL

Been there, done that... I'm sorry to say that you will be even more
disappointed when you do get through to a 'tech support engineer'. I have
spoken to G'byte UK t/s a number of times, and every time I spoke to a guy
or Oriental origin who could barely string a sentance of plain English
together. It is not acceptable. There is too much room for error in
situations like this. He can and will easily misunderstand the symptoms you
report, he will also fail to explain the solution in a lucid way. Very best
of luck here. I know this situation too well. so well in fact that it has
made me ansolutely determined to never ever buy anything from these careless
bustuds again. Hope you have far more luck than I did.

Jon
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2005 4:21:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:40:34 -0000, "40 PC SOCKET SET"
<nospam@nospam.com> waffled on about something:

>
>"PL" <plapin AT lineone DOT net> wrote in message
>news:11014tk9n2nmn56@corp.supernews.com...
>> In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
>> unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I
>posted
>> a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.
>>
>> Yesterday I thought I'd give GigaUK a call to ask how long it would take
>to
>> get a response to an email (duh!). A recorded message first gives you the
>> 'office opening hours' (generally 9-5pm, but closed for lunch 1-2pm)
>before
>> the menu option. When I first rang at 10.30am, the call transfered to a
>> lady in Milton Keynes who couldn't answer my query (whatever it was) and
>> suggested I ring back later. I tried again at 4pm - the office was now
>> closed and when I waited for the tone to leave a message, got the
>warning -
>> 'sorry the voice box is full, you 're out of luck.
>>
>> Does anyone know if anyone from Gigabyte lurks in this newsgroup, who
>might
>> be able to give a morsel of confidence in their technical support system?
>>
>> Cheers
>> PL
>
>Been there, done that... I'm sorry to say that you will be even more
>disappointed when you do get through to a 'tech support engineer'. I have
>spoken to G'byte UK t/s a number of times, and every time I spoke to a guy
>or Oriental origin who could barely string a sentance of plain English
>together. It is not acceptable. There is too much room for error in
>situations like this. He can and will easily misunderstand the symptoms you
>report, he will also fail to explain the solution in a lucid way. Very best
>of luck here. I know this situation too well. so well in fact that it has
>made me ansolutely determined to never ever buy anything from these careless
>bustuds again. Hope you have far more luck than I did.
>
>Jon

You got through?! Wow!

I've never got further than the full mailbox.

I've had the foreigner who couldn't (or wouldn't) understand my fault
problem before with other companies, last time was from Linksys's UK
support which redirected to the USA. Guessing from her tone of voice,
and the fact it was 9am UK time, she was still asleep. I eventually
gave up trying to describe the problem to her and sent the returned
the router as unfit for purpose, and bought a completely different
one.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2005 5:52:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

> Suffice to say, while I like my 8KNXP -- I'm on my second board, as the
> first one died mysteriously and was RMA'd -- I'll never buy another
> Gigabyte product.

I've just replaced a dual Athlon MP Gigabyte motherboard with a Tyan one
after the Gigabyte started becoming so unstable, it was unworkable. Although
the motherboard is still under warranty here in the UK, I'm going to write
of off as the prospect of trying to get it repaired/replaced through Insight
& Gigabyte is just too painful. I'd end up spending more time @ work sending
it back, re-installing and trying it out than the motherboard is worth.

However, as I had both boards side by side, I was comparing the build
quality of the Tyan motherboard with the Gigabyte one. The Tyan one feels so
much more sturdy and well built. One thing I've noticed with both the
Gigabyte boards in this system (yes, we had a DOA one) is that the both
boards were significantly bent, especially under the RAM sockets. The Tyan
board is perfectly flat.

Rob.
!