Gigabyte tech support

In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I posted
a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.

Yesterday I thought I'd give GigaUK a call to ask how long it would take to
get a response to an email (duh!). A recorded message first gives you the
'office opening hours' (generally 9-5pm, but closed for lunch 1-2pm) before
the menu option. When I first rang at 10.30am, the call transfered to a
lady in Milton Keynes who couldn't answer my query (whatever it was) and
suggested I ring back later. I tried again at 4pm - the office was now
closed and when I waited for the tone to leave a message, got the warning -
'sorry the voice box is full, you 're out of luck.

Does anyone know if anyone from Gigabyte lurks in this newsgroup, who might
be able to give a morsel of confidence in their technical support system?

Cheers
PL
4 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte tech support

    On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 08:47 +0000, PLplapinATlineoneDOTn wrote:
    > In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
    > unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I posted
    > a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.

    I have sent two emails via the online Gigabyte support system: I waited
    for over 2 months for a response to the first one, and a little over 3
    weeks for the second.

    Suffice to say, while I like my 8KNXP -- I'm on my second board, as the
    first one died mysteriously and was RMA'd -- I'll never buy another
    Gigabyte product.

    Kris

    "PL" <plapin AT lineone DOT net> wrote in message
    > In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
    > unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I
    posted
    > a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.
    >
    > Yesterday I thought I'd give GigaUK a call to ask how long it would take
    > get a response to an email (duh!). A recorded message first gives you the
    > 'office opening hours' (generally 9-5pm, but closed for lunch 1-2pm)
    before
    > the menu option. When I first rang at 10.30am, the call transfered to a
    > lady in Milton Keynes who couldn't answer my query (whatever it was) and
    > suggested I ring back later. I tried again at 4pm - the office was now
    > closed and when I waited for the tone to leave a message, got the
    warning -
    > 'sorry the voice box is full, you 're out of luck.
    >
    > Does anyone know if anyone from Gigabyte lurks in this newsgroup, who
    might
    > be able to give a morsel of confidence in their technical support system?
    >
    > Cheers
    > PL

    Been there, done that... I'm sorry to say that you will be even more
    disappointed when you do get through to a 'tech support engineer'. I have
    spoken to G'byte UK t/s a number of times, and every time I spoke to a guy
    or Oriental origin who could barely string a sentance of plain English
    together. It is not acceptable. There is too much room for error in
    situations like this. He can and will easily misunderstand the symptoms you
    report, he will also fail to explain the solution in a lucid way. Very best
    of luck here. I know this situation too well. so well in fact that it has
    made me ansolutely determined to never ever buy anything from these careless
    bustuds again. Hope you have far more luck than I did.

    Jon

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:40:34 -0000, "40 PC SOCKET SET"
    <nospam@nospam.com> waffled on about something:

    >"PL" <plapin AT lineone DOT net> wrote in message
    >> In the UK you can't talk to anyone on the 'phone for technical support
    >> unless you're a reseller. The only way to get help is via email. I
    >posted
    >> a query on 27 January and am still waiting a response.
    >>
    >> Yesterday I thought I'd give GigaUK a call to ask how long it would take
    >> get a response to an email (duh!). A recorded message first gives you the
    >> 'office opening hours' (generally 9-5pm, but closed for lunch 1-2pm)
    >before
    >> the menu option. When I first rang at 10.30am, the call transfered to a
    >> lady in Milton Keynes who couldn't answer my query (whatever it was) and
    >> suggested I ring back later. I tried again at 4pm - the office was now
    >> closed and when I waited for the tone to leave a message, got the
    >warning -
    >> 'sorry the voice box is full, you 're out of luck.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if anyone from Gigabyte lurks in this newsgroup, who
    >might
    >> be able to give a morsel of confidence in their technical support system?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> PL
    >
    >Been there, done that... I'm sorry to say that you will be even more
    >disappointed when you do get through to a 'tech support engineer'. I have
    >spoken to G'byte UK t/s a number of times, and every time I spoke to a guy
    >or Oriental origin who could barely string a sentance of plain English
    >together. It is not acceptable. There is too much room for error in
    >situations like this. He can and will easily misunderstand the symptoms you
    >report, he will also fail to explain the solution in a lucid way. Very best
    >of luck here. I know this situation too well. so well in fact that it has
    >made me ansolutely determined to never ever buy anything from these careless
    >bustuds again. Hope you have far more luck than I did.
    >
    >Jon

    You got through?! Wow!

    I've never got further than the full mailbox.

    I've had the foreigner who couldn't (or wouldn't) understand my fault
    problem before with other companies, last time was from Linksys's UK
    support which redirected to the USA. Guessing from her tone of voice,
    and the fact it was 9am UK time, she was still asleep. I eventually
    gave up trying to describe the problem to her and sent the returned
    the router as unfit for purpose, and bought a completely different
    one.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Suffice to say, while I like my 8KNXP -- I'm on my second board, as the
    > first one died mysteriously and was RMA'd -- I'll never buy another
    > Gigabyte product.

    I've just replaced a dual Athlon MP Gigabyte motherboard with a Tyan one
    after the Gigabyte started becoming so unstable, it was unworkable. Although
    the motherboard is still under warranty here in the UK, I'm going to write
    of off as the prospect of trying to get it repaired/replaced through Insight
    & Gigabyte is just too painful. I'd end up spending more time @ work sending
    it back, re-installing and trying it out than the motherboard is worth.

    However, as I had both boards side by side, I was comparing the build
    quality of the Tyan motherboard with the Gigabyte one. The Tyan one feels so
    much more sturdy and well built. One thing I've noticed with both the
    Gigabyte boards in this system (yes, we had a DOA one) is that the both
    boards were significantly bent, especially under the RAM sockets. The Tyan
    board is perfectly flat.

    Rob.

Gigabyte Email Motherboards