Quality of Gigabyte Products

I purchased a system in July 2003 , a p4- 3.0 ghz , GA-8KNXP Rev1
Mainboard, GV-R98P128D Graphics Accelerator, 4x 512MB PC 3200 Kingston ram
and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte product
again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
time
was with a faulty ITE raid controller, the second board lasted 18 months and
died no post, the third board wouldnt post and am waiting for a replacement.
The graphics card the fan stopped spinning
after a few months and fried.
Thats my rant

Denis

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:03:11 +1100, "Denis Fitzgibbon"
<denisfitpos@ihug.com.au> waffled on about something:

>I purchased a system in July 2003 , a p4- 3.0 ghz , GA-8KNXP Rev1
>Mainboard, GV-R98P128D Graphics Accelerator, 4x 512MB PC 3200 Kingston ram
>and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
>products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte product
>again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
>time
>was with a faulty ITE raid controller, the second board lasted 18 months and
>died no post, the third board wouldnt post and am waiting for a replacement.
>The graphics card the fan stopped spinning
>after a few months and fried.
>Thats my rant
>
>Denis

My first one (8KNXP rev1) died within a week of me getting it. I never
managed to get an OS onto it, it kept crashing. Eventually it stopped
even booting. I had a quick look and could see the problem. The
heatsink on the northbridge was hardly making contact, it was just
touching along 2 edges, so I suspect the northbridge cooked itself.

It took 3 weeks to get it exchanged by overclockers.co.uk, and during
that time I attempted to contacted gigabyte to complain about the
quality of this dealer, only to find the dealer was positively prompt
compared to gigabyte.

As you say, never again.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

<denisfitpos@ihug.com.au> wrote:

>and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
>products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte product
>again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
>time

Using Gigabyte-boards now since 10 years without any problems.
Actually I have the Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 Rev. 2. Everytime I tried
boards from other manufacturers like Asus, Chaintech or MSI I had
trouble.

Udo

> My first one (8KNXP rev1) died within a week of me getting it. I never
> managed to get an OS onto it, it kept crashing. Eventually it stopped

My first 8KNXP (rev 1) died unexpectedly after about 8 months -- it
simply froze over night, so I rebooted it, and it didn't post. (After
some previous posts on this newsgroup, I came to the conclusion that the
Northbridge had fried itself.)

Gigabyte replaced the board, after 2 weeks, with another 8KNXP (rev 1),
which has lasted me, quite stably, for almost a year.

But, as you say, never again.

Kris

>Thats my rant

I had only Gigabyte boards since 1997 and no one of them had to be
returned because of a fault. One board still works in my father by
law's computer, the other one was replaced by a Athlon 64 board last
summer, no problems with this socket 754 board so far.

Therefore: everytime again Gigabyte!

Moritz

wesley

My first mobo Gigabyte GA-8S648FX work well for 4 months until fried down -
damaged PSU and video card nvidia 5900XT and all the rest hardware survived.
I'm pretty upset :(

It could be overheat that killed my mobo ? but I really really like
GA-8S648FX because it heaps faster and smooth than my aging 5 years old
AOpen AX6BC the most wonderful mobo.

Anyway I want to continue with Gigabyte so now I use GA-8I848E-L but bit
scared because I smell hot inside the case :( I think need extra 80mm
fans...

Kent_Diego

> I purchased a system in July 2003 , a p4- 3.0 ghz , GA-8KNXP Rev1
> Mainboard, GV-R98P128D Graphics Accelerator, 4x 512MB PC 3200 Kingston ram
> and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
> products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte
product
> again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
> time
> was with a faulty ITE raid controller, the second board lasted 18 months
and
> died no post, the third board wouldnt post and am waiting for a
replacement.
> The graphics card the fan stopped spinning
> after a few months and fried.
> Thats my rant
>
> Denis

I am using a Gigabyte motherboard. The thing I hated most about it is
Gigabyte uses a chipset fan. Luckily it froze up after a few months of use.
The MB works fine without it running.

-Kent

Rudy

I had a GA 7VT600 1394 which gave me a lot of trouble. Rebooting and so
forth. Via 600 chipset. AMD 3200+. Switched to a GA 7N400 Pro2,ver2 using
all the same components and haven't had any trouble. I think the 3200+ works
better with the nVidia chipset than the Via as a few people in this group
have stated. Been running about a month, keeping my fingers crossed.
Rudy Kazuti

> Where are you? I guess you weren't trying to get any sign of life from
> UK support!

Heh heh. I live near Toronto, Ontario. :)

cheers,
Kris

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:59:04 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
<nothanks@noonehere.org> waffled on about something:

>> My first one (8KNXP rev1) died within a week of me getting it. I never
>> managed to get an OS onto it, it kept crashing. Eventually it stopped
>

>My first 8KNXP (rev 1) died unexpectedly after about 8 months -- it
>simply froze over night, so I rebooted it, and it didn't post. (After
>some previous posts on this newsgroup, I came to the conclusion that the
>Northbridge had fried itself.)
>
>Gigabyte replaced the board, after 2 weeks, with another 8KNXP (rev 1),
>which has lasted me, quite stably, for almost a year.
>
>But, as you say, never again.
>
>Kris

Where are you? I guess you weren't trying to get any sign of life from
UK support!

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:03:11 +1100, "Denis Fitzgibbon"
<denisfitpos@ihug.com.au> wrote:

>I purchased a system in July 2003 , a p4- 3.0 ghz , GA-8KNXP Rev1
>Mainboard, GV-R98P128D Graphics Accelerator, 4x 512MB PC 3200 Kingston ram
>and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
>products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte product
>again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
>time
>was with a faulty ITE raid controller, the second board lasted 18 months and
>died no post, the third board wouldnt post and am waiting for a replacement.
>The graphics card the fan stopped spinning
>after a few months and fried.
>Thats my rant
>
>Denis

Get a Life Who made the faulty ITE raid controller, Not Gigabyte, seems to
me you are not very bright.

Plus did you take Full anti static precautions..?

Static damage does not show right away..

And Heat can cause the fan to stop..

<puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:03:11 +1100, "Denis Fitzgibbon"
> <denisfitpos@ihug.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I purchased a system in July 2003 , a p4- 3.0 ghz , GA-8KNXP Rev1
>>Mainboard, GV-R98P128D Graphics Accelerator, 4x 512MB PC 3200 Kingston ram
>>and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
>>products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte
>>product
>>again.. The motherboard has been returned 3 times for warranty, the first
>>time
>>was with a faulty ITE raid controller, the second board lasted 18 months
>>and
>>died no post, the third board wouldnt post and am waiting for a
>>replacement.
>>The graphics card the fan stopped spinning
>>after a few months and fried.
>>Thats my rant
>>
>>Denis
>>

> Get a Life Who made the faulty ITE raid controller, Not Gigabyte, seems
> me you are not very bright.
>
> Plus did you take Full anti static precautions..?
>
> Static damage does not show right away..
>
> And Heat can cause the fan to stop.

Gigabyte choose to use an ITE controller on the motherboard so one
would hope they choose a company with good quality control but I like others
have issues with the ITE controller including poor performance and as well
as no performance. There have been several threads devoted to the ITE
controller
over the last year or so.

The system has had 3 case fans since it was assembled. I use an earth strap
when handling
the components and assembling the system.

You wrote "get a life" and "seems to me you are not very bright" you wish to
denigrate me
that's your prerogative in my opinion they do nothing to enhance your
argument but everyone
has a lapse including an Sisyphean intellectual

Denis

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:36:39 +0000, Dodgy
<Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:59:04 -0500, Kris Vorwerk
><nothanks@noonehere.org> waffled on about something:
>
>>> My first one (8KNXP rev1) died within a week of me getting it. I never
>>> managed to get an OS onto it, it kept crashing. Eventually it stopped
>>

>>My first 8KNXP (rev 1) died unexpectedly after about 8 months -- it
>>simply froze over night, so I rebooted it, and it didn't post. (After
>>some previous posts on this newsgroup, I came to the conclusion that the
>>Northbridge had fried itself.)
>>
>>Gigabyte replaced the board, after 2 weeks, with another 8KNXP (rev 1),
>>which has lasted me, quite stably, for almost a year.
>>
>>But, as you say, never again.
>>
>>Kris
>
>Where are you? I guess you weren't trying to get any sign of life from
>UK support!
>
>D0d6y.

As for Me, I have been using Gigabyte products for years. As with any
other company, their quality goes in cycles. I had one board last 3
years, then the caps on the board let go. and the 7N400 Pro2 I just
RMA'ed had a problem from the start, with the latest board, when first
installed, the CPU fan would not be powered from the Board, then after
about 5 months; I started to get Hard Drive errors except on the SATA
connections. Next, the board would lock up, and then not POST for
hours, Finally, it would not even spin up the pane or give a power
good signal, though the memory ledwould come on. All of the
components have been moved to an other Pro2 and are working fine. In
this case, I think it was an early REV 2 (NB FAN) I believe that was
a design flaw.

After building for myself and others more then 50 PCs, and having used
over 40 Gigabyte MBs, having 2 fail in their life cycle ( though 3
years is really more then a life cycle normally for me) I do not
believe that is a terrible record. Car manufacturers issue recalls
every day

> and various other components. I had previous experience with Gigabyte
> products and had no problems but this time I wouldnt have a Gigabyte
> product

Same here. I would usually choose Gigabyte by preference but now they're
heading for the bottom of the pack.

Rob.