Dell inspiron 580 desktop

whiteturbo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hello,
I have a dell 580 64 bit win 7 and i need to change the o/s to win 7 32 bit but dell only has drivers for vista and win 7 64 bit will the 64 bit drivers work with the 32 bit o/s?

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
No, but I have found in several instances that XP drivers work in Win 7 x86.

Just curious....why would you want to cut your performance in half by downgrading your OS? Most, if not all 32 bit hardware and software will install in a 64 bit environment and function (unless it's far too old).

Sometimes it also helps to find out all your hardware manufacturers info and get drivers from them. I know that on laptops, they prefer you get your drivers from dell as they customize them for the hardware, but for desktop pc's, you can just grab your drivers from the hardware manufacturer instead of dell. I have a couple Dell machines I tend to, and Dell is, for lack of a better term, lacking in their driver support for most things beyond laptops. This would most likely be why you can't find your drivers for your desktop.

If you are savvy, you can get the free version of Sandra and it will tell you everything you need to know about your hardware so you know where to look for drivers (unless its an OEM no name motherboard....they sometimes don't show up in there, but the rest should).

whiteturbo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I have a program that i use for business and at this time it only runs on 32 bit windows 7. Maybe soon that will change and i can go back to the 64 bit. Thanks for the info I will try that site.