Floppy and USB Card reader have stopped working

I have been running XP for over a year now. Both my floppy and Belkin USB
Card reader have suddenly stopped working. I get the same message from each
'Please insert a disk into drive X:"
The only software I installed this week was AVG Anti-Virus, but even after
uninstalled the problem persists. I have also rolled backed the system to
last restore point.
Both drives work fine if I boot up in Safe-mode. The Card reader also works
fine on my son's XP system (which also has the latest AVG program)

Any ideas?

So it is the antivirus. Check it's configuration or contact their technical support.
--PA

"Graham Nind" <grahamnind@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message news:udVzIuQ6EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have been running XP for over a year now. Both my floppy and Belkin USB
> Card reader have suddenly stopped working. I get the same message from each
> 'Please insert a disk into drive X:"
> The only software I installed this week was AVG Anti-Virus, but even after
> uninstalled the problem persists. I have also rolled backed the system to
> last restore point.
> Both drives work fine if I boot up in Safe-mode. The Card reader also works
> fine on my son's XP system (which also has the latest AVG program)
>
> Any ideas?

I don't think it is the antivirus, as the drives still didn't work when I
uninstalled it.

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> So it is the antivirus. Check it's configuration or contact their
> technical support.
> --PA
>
> "Graham Nind" <grahamnind@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have been running XP for over a year now. Both my floppy and Belkin USB
>> Card reader have suddenly stopped working. I get the same message from
>> each
>> 'Please insert a disk into drive X:"
>> The only software I installed this week was AVG Anti-Virus, but even
>> after
>> uninstalled the problem persists. I have also rolled backed the system to
>> last restore point.
>> Both drives work fine if I boot up in Safe-mode. The Card reader also
>> works
>> fine on my son's XP system (which also has the latest AVG program)
>>
>> Any ideas?

But you wrote that both devices work in safe mode.
Maybe the antivirus installed some hooks (a.k.a. "filters") and left them behind after uninstall.
I'd suggest contacting AVG support.
--PA

"Graham Nind" <grahamnind@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message news:#3osW$S6EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I don't think it is the antivirus, as the drives still didn't work when I
> uninstalled it.
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > So it is the antivirus. Check it's configuration or contact their
> > technical support.
> > --PA
> >
> > "Graham Nind" <grahamnind@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> I have been running XP for over a year now. Both my floppy and Belkin USB
> >> Card reader have suddenly stopped working. I get the same message from
> >> each
> >> 'Please insert a disk into drive X:"
> >> The only software I installed this week was AVG Anti-Virus, but even
> >> after
> >> uninstalled the problem persists. I have also rolled backed the system to
> >> last restore point.
> >> Both drives work fine if I boot up in Safe-mode. The Card reader also
> >> works
> >> fine on my son's XP system (which also has the latest AVG program)
> >>
> >> Any ideas?

Hi Pavel
You were right. I uninstalled AVG again and everything started working. Then
re-installed and evrything stopped.
Thanks.
Graham

> But you wrote that both devices work in safe mode.
> Maybe the antivirus installed some hooks (a.k.a. "filters") and left them
behind after uninstall.
> I'd suggest contacting AVG support.
> --PA
>
> "Graham Nind" <grahamnind@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I don't think it is the antivirus, as the drives still didn't work when
> > uninstalled it.
> >
> > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > > So it is the antivirus. Check it's configuration or contact their
> > > technical support.
> > > --PA
> > >
> > > "Graham Nind" <grahamnind@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
USB