Help me please!! PC won't boot

December 24, 2004 12:26:03 AM

Hi.
I accidentally switched off my sons pc from the switch rather than the
shutdown process. Now when I try and reboot it won't.
It says it can't find boot records. It's OS is XP. It's a Packard Bell (very
trusted up until now)
I am desperate coz he has all his course work on there and everything else
and I'm going to be in the dog house for the rest of my life. Please pity me
and help.
When the pc was switched off I had to unplug everything from it for a little
while but put everything back as it should be.
I have a Win '98 bootdisk but that hit a wall. something about Fat.
The CD rom does work but I don't want to reformat.
What do I do?
Jen

More about : boot

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:46:43 AM

Rush to your nearest local computer shop, they have the right tools and should help.
And you'll find the price reasonable (much less than being in dog house for the rest of life).
--PA

"Jay" <nope@tospam.com> wrote in message news:uj3wCYT6EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi.
> I accidentally switched off my sons pc from the switch rather than the
> shutdown process. Now when I try and reboot it won't.
> It says it can't find boot records. It's OS is XP. It's a Packard Bell (very
> trusted up until now)
> I am desperate coz he has all his course work on there and everything else
> and I'm going to be in the dog house for the rest of my life. Please pity me
> and help.
> When the pc was switched off I had to unplug everything from it for a little
> while but put everything back as it should be.
> I have a Win '98 bootdisk but that hit a wall. something about Fat.
> The CD rom does work but I don't want to reformat.
> What do I do?
> Jen

December 24, 2004 2:46:44 AM

Yeah I think I will. First thing tomorrow.
Thanks.

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> Rush to your nearest local computer shop, they have the right tools and
> should help.
> And you'll find the price reasonable (much less than being in dog house
> for the rest of life).
> --PA
>

> "Jay" <nope@tospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> I accidentally switched off my sons pc from the switch rather than the
>> shutdown process. Now when I try and reboot it won't.
>> It says it can't find boot records. It's OS is XP. It's a Packard Bell
>> (very
>> trusted up until now)
>> I am desperate coz he has all his course work on there and everything
>> else
>> and I'm going to be in the dog house for the rest of my life. Please pity
>> me
>> and help.
>> When the pc was switched off I had to unplug everything from it for a
>> little
>> while but put everything back as it should be.
>> I have a Win '98 bootdisk but that hit a wall. something about Fat.
>> The CD rom does work but I don't want to reformat.
>> What do I do?
>> Jen

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:46:45 AM

One thing you might try is to turn the computer on and let it get to the
"can't find" message.

Leave the computer on for about ten minutes and press the "reset" button
and see if it will boot.... in this cold weather, it may be an issue
of things needing to warm up first.

My suspect would be the bios battery, and would not suggest attacking
this if you are not familar with it... i.e. "drive discovery" etc.

Next... suggest a backup of critical files...

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!