Sign in with
Your question

Networking Problems

Last response: in Networking
February 23, 2003 11:16:30 AM

Having a bit of a network crisis and i wonder if any of you can help. I have 2 pc's running with a network cable between them (twisted cross-over). both of the network cards are running fine (no conflicts and the lights are on). the problem is that they are not pinging each other and when i try and access the network, 1 pc can enter the 'entire network' but the other says "network not accessible".

any ideas? it might be a hardware issue, but the lights would suggest that it isn't.

More about : networking problems

February 23, 2003 3:53:44 PM

Any firewalls running?

If so, disable and try again.

If not this, try pinging 127.0.0.1 with each PC. If any of em don't work, you need to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
February 24, 2003 1:27:48 AM

I don't think the problem is that complicated. But what OS are you using? And check your IPs, Subnets, and Workgroup.
February 24, 2003 12:56:21 PM

It depends somewhat on what os you are running, but if you are running win9x or later with a crossover cable then you have to set static ip addresses. Private ip addresses are in the range 169.254.x.x Remember to set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 This can all be done within the network control panel. Also, for file/print sharing you need to install the file/print sharing service and bind it to the tcp/ip protocol and also the microsoft network services.

Make sure your protocols such as file/print sharing etc. are bound to the tcp/ip protocol and that you have static and valid private ip addresses assigned.

:cool: <font color=blue> Just because I'm absent-minded doesn't mean I </font color=blue>
!