Apple Finally Issues Flashback Removal Tool for Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Ezence[/nom]Why was the patch for this version of macOS released so late?[/citation]
I think Apple usually doesn't support OS versions more than 2 generations old (10.6 was released 3 years ago), but I guess they changed their mind because every infected user is bad press.

btw: 10.5 was the last OS X version to support the old PowerPC architecture, but does Flashback even work on PPC?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]viri.[/citation]
Not a word. The plural of virus is viruses. Idiot script kiddies have been misspelling it for years trying to look smart.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I think Apple usually doesn't support OS versions more than 2 generations old (10.6 was released 3 years ago), but I guess they changed their mind because every infected user is bad press.btw: 10.5 was the last OS X version to support the old PowerPC architecture, but does Flashback even work on PPC?[/citation]
So you mean that Apple doesn't support OS versions more than 1 generation old. That gives a version about 3 years of support. I can understand they not giving support to to versions older than 10.5, but since 10.5 was the last version one could install on the Mac powered by PowerPCs, so their support cycle should be extended.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I will take a few 100's viruses over a few 100,000 viruses any given day. Plus when was the last time that MS released an update to fix your infected computer. The most they will do is to suggest an antivirus for you to buy. Oh! and renew every year too...... BTW I know you can get a decent free AV online.
Just my opinion.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
@Hspito

Microsoft makes a free antivirus software, "Microsoft Security Essentials" (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials)

They also regularly release VIA Microsoft Update a "Malicious software removal tool" that will automatically scan and clean known specific infections from your system.

This is, of course, updated bi-weekly alongside the numerous security and bug fixes released for all M$ products released.

Honestly, the apple coders take a couple weeks to crank out a fix for one specific infection and suddenly all the mac fanboys start praising them like their OS is the best thing since sliced bread. Apple could literally ship a shit in a box and the fanboys would find a way to polish and display it.

/rant

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
@internetlad

Malicious software removal tool is a anti-malware utility not an anti-virus.(they are not exactly the same that is why you need both) Also I stated that I am aware that there are multiple free and decent AVs that can be downloaded online. I never said that I believe that OSX is the best thing since slice bread I just said that I will rather have a few 100s viruses than a few 100,000s and that is just my opinion and the truth.

It seems like I'm not the fanboy in this conversation. I use to bash Apple for their prices and the fanboys. Because of my curiosity I decided to buy a iMac 2.5 years ago. After noticing that I didn't have to restart the computer all the time, no Internet browser crashing a few times in a single week and never loosing your work due to a software freezing, I decided to change completely. Sure I pay more for their systems but I get my money's worth. Again that is just my opinion that I build after years of experiences using both systems including hardware and software.

I do agree with you that Apple takes a long time to release fixes, updates, and implementing any request from the users.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]@internetladMalicious software removal tool is a anti-malware utility not an anti-virus.(they are not exactly the same that is why you need both) Also I stated that I am aware that there are multiple free and decent AVs that can be downloaded online. I never said that I believe that OSX is the best thing since slice bread I just said that I will rather have a few 100s viruses than a few 100,000s and that is just my opinion and the truth. It seems like I'm not the fanboy in this conversation. I use to bash Apple for their prices and the fanboys. Because of my curiosity I decided to buy a iMac 2.5 years ago. After noticing that I didn't have to restart the computer all the time, no Internet browser crashing a few times in a single week and never loosing your work due to a software freezing, I decided to change completely. Sure I pay more for their systems but I get my money's worth. Again that is just my opinion that I build after years of experiences using both systems including hardware and software. I do agree with you that Apple takes a long time to release fixes, updates, and implementing any request from the users.[/citation]
The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool also remove virus that why it's a anti-malware. Malware includes viruses, trojans,...

I've been using windows and mac computers for decades and I never had stability problems with any of them.

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]I will take a few 100's viruses over a few 100,000 viruses any given day. Plus when was the last time that MS released an update to fix your infected computer. The most they will do is to suggest an antivirus for you to buy. Oh! and renew every year too...... BTW I know you can get a decent free AV online.Just my opinion.[/citation]

You honestly cannot believe that don't you? This is a major thing...NOW that they know Apple is late on fixes and Macs have little support on security software don't think something bigger is coming it is. The amount of money people spend on Apple's products and how munch Apple glorifies it this is unacceptable period. They took over a month to create a fix this shows people how late Apple is but then again Apple always comes out with something and says "Hey look what we did" no..just no. Imagine if there is a large scale attack like a mydoom or conflickr worm on Macs...Apple will sh*t in its pants.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
apple took this much amount of time to fix the serious security flaw
and still people say apple gives best service.
maybe it's time to teach apple fanboys what service really means.
The big glass stores and happy faced employees (only when purchasing the product) doesn't mean good service.

[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]I will take a few 100's viruses over a few 100,000 viruses any given day. Plus when was the last time that MS released an update to fix your infected computer. The most they will do is to suggest an antivirus for you to buy. Oh! and renew every year too...... BTW I know you can get a decent free AV online.Just my opinion.[/citation]

[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]@internetladMalicious software removal tool is a anti-malware utility not an anti-virus.(they are not exactly the same that is why you need both) Also I stated that I am aware that there are multiple free and decent AVs that can be downloaded online. I never said that I believe that OSX is the best thing since slice bread I just said that I will rather have a few 100s viruses than a few 100,000s and that is just my opinion and the truth. It seems like I'm not the fanboy in this conversation. I use to bash Apple for their prices and the fanboys. Because of my curiosity I decided to buy a iMac 2.5 years ago. After noticing that I didn't have to restart the computer all the time, no Internet browser crashing a few times in a single week and never loosing your work due to a software freezing, I decided to change completely. Sure I pay more for their systems but I get my money's worth. Again that is just my opinion that I build after years of experiences using both systems including hardware and software. I do agree with you that Apple takes a long time to release fixes, updates, and implementing any request from the users.[/citation]

Like internetlad said, the malicious software removal tool removes everything that it sees. Malware is an umbrella term for pretty much all malicious software, including viruses. Also, M$ has their own anti-virus program. internetlad told you that too. M$ releases security patches at least weekly, releases malware removal scanner updates bi-weekly, and also has their own free anti-virus program (which happens to be one of the best free antivirus programs, far better than half of the paid versions). On top of all that, M$ also implements a a lot of built-in security for Windows nowadays too (Vista and newer have it the best, especially 64 bit versions) and Apple hardly does anything for security, especially up until they have a security based PR disaster such as Flashblock.

I'm not praising M$ or anything like that, but you are completely ignoring the work that they do for security. Unlike Apple, they don't have such small market penetration, so they have far more people trying to crack Windows than Apple has people trying to crack OSX. Apple is one of the most BS companies around because they tend to not fix problems until they become PR disasters and even then, they often take too long or do it in despicable ways (such as waiting so long on fixing Leopard when they could have released it at least as soon as they released the fix for the newer versions of OSX). M$ does pretty much every effort that you claimed they don't and Apple hardly does any of it.

Not only do you not know what you are talking about, but you are outright lying to everyone here. You're a troll and on top of that, an obvious troll.

Flashblock doesn't need to work on PowerPC because it works on X86. OSX 10.5 is X86, it just also supports PowerPC Mac software by default.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
@ blazorthon

"Not only do you not know what you are talking about, but you are outright lying to everyone here. You're a troll and on top of that, an obvious troll"

Again, my comments are base on my experiences with both systems. You are entitle to your own opinion too. But Have you ever own an apple computer running OSX? I mean own, not used at the store. If the answer is no, then obviously you won't know what I am talking about. If the answer is no then you are forming an opinion about something you don't even know about. If the answer was yes the kudos to you. you like Windows I prefer OSX.

You say; " Apple hardly does anything for security". I work in the IT industry and as far as virus infections, I have never had a customer bringing me an infected Mac (I know the apple market is way much smaller) they don't need to be addressing security issues all the time because it is not a consistence problem with their system, unlike with Windows. as far as I know this is the the first case of a wide spread Mac infection and everybody is saying that Mac suck because of it. If a wide spread virus infection is what makes a computer sucks then can somebody please tell me where will that put Windows at? again JUST MY OPINION BASE ON EXPERIENCES WITH BOTH SYSTEMS.

[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]@ blazorthon"Not only do you not know what you are talking about, but you are outright lying to everyone here. You're a troll and on top of that, an obvious troll"Again, my comments are base on my experiences with both systems. You are entitle to your own opinion too. But Have you ever own an apple computer running OSX? I mean own, not used at the store. If the answer is no, then obviously you won't know what I am talking about. If the answer is no then you are forming an opinion about something you don't even know about. If the answer was yes the kudos to you. you like Windows I prefer OSX.You say; " Apple hardly does anything for security". I work in the IT industry and as far as virus infections, I have never had a customer bringing me an infected Mac (I know the apple market is way much smaller) they don't need to be addressing security issues all the time because it is not a consistence problem with their system, unlike with Windows. as far as I know this is the the first case of a wide spread Mac infection and everybody is saying that Mac suck because of it. If a wide spread virus infection is what makes a computer sucks then can somebody please tell me where will that put Windows at? again JUST MY OPINION BASE ON EXPERIENCES WITH BOTH SYSTEMS.[/citation]

This is not the first wide-spread Mac infection, just the first one that was so obvious. I do happen to have a Mac. The fewer amount of Mac infections are ONLY because of it's smaller market penetration. If you're a hacker, what do you write malware for, a system that has 95% market penetration, or a system that has 5% market penetration (numbers are not exact)? That is Mac's advantage: Security through obscurity. I'm not basing information on personal experience, but on the system as a whole. OSX is far less secure than even a Windows Vista/7 system without any anti-malware programs. In fact, it's behind even Windows XP in built-in security. I'm not saying that Mac's suck, I'm just saying that they have almost no security at all and it's easily proven. OSX is a far more easily hacked system than Windows.

Also, most Mac malware does not tell you that it is there. I don't think that Macs have viruses much at all, just spyware and trojans, for the most part. Most Mac malware is hidden spyware and trojans that logs tons of data, such as credit cards numbers, and then reports it back to a server.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
@blazorthon

;)

I completely agree with you. I know that the main reason why Macs have far less viruses is because there are way more computers running Windows that OSX. Also because to install almost anything on the systems you need to authorized by typing the admin password. I am running a Symantec AV on my computers and it is amazing how many .exe files get tag as a virus from my email's spam folder.

Side story: My father's in law computer got infected 5 times in 1.5 years with some nasty viruses every, time I explain to him that if he doesn't trust the source he should not be clicking on it. I believe he was visiting some webs site to watch free movies. I was tired of fixing his shit. Finally he told me he was going to buy a new computer I convince him to get an iMac. He is very happy with his decision, and me too. It has been a year and no virus yet. He lives with me and his computer is also running Symantec AV. I know it was mainly his fault but at the end the result is 0 virus in 1 year with Mac VS 5 viruses in 1.5 years.

BTW: I never said that OSX is better or more secure all I said was that I will take a few 100s viruses vs a few 100,000s any day. I stand corrected on the MS releasing a security update to fix your computer. I had completely forgot about the Malicious software removal tool. You still need an AV thou.

[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]@blazorthonI completely agree with you. I know that the main reason why Macs have far less viruses is because there are way more computers running Windows that OSX. Also because to install almost anything on the systems you need to authorized by typing the admin password. I am running a Symantec AV on my computers and it is amazing how many .exe files get tag as a virus from my email's spam folder.Side story: My father's in law computer got infected 5 times in 1.5 years with some nasty viruses every, time I explain to him that if he doesn't trust the source he should not be clicking on it. I believe he was visiting some webs site to watch free movies. I was tired of fixing his ***. Finally he told me he was going to buy a new computer I convince him to get an iMac. He is very happy with his decision, and me too. It has been a year and no virus yet. He lives with me and his computer is also running Symantec AV. I know it was mainly his fault but at the end the result is 0 virus in 1 year with Mac VS 5 viruses in 1.5 years. BTW: I never said that OSX is better or more secure all I said was that I will take a few 100s viruses vs a few 100,000s any day. I stand corrected on the MS releasing a security update to fix your computer. I had completely forgot about the Malicious software removal tool. You still need an AV thou.[/citation]

M$ provides AV for free. If someone doesn't do stupid things, then they don't get much malware trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.