Memory Timing Question

I just installed the following ram: 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2Pro. I'm a
bit confused about the timing settings on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo.
According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set to
"SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I need
to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in the
BIOS?

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
14 answers Last reply

    Si wrote:
    > According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
    > for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set to
    > "SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I need
    > to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in the
    > BIOS?

    If Corsair states that the chips can run at 2-3-3-6 speed then they
    can.It's all up to you to set them at those latencies.
    On the BIOS screen press Ctrl+F1 and go into the new directory.You
    should have no problem with the options in there.
    And when you look at the timings the top one is the first number and so on.

    So that means that the 3rd number changes from 8 to 3. Seems a bit of a jump
    to me.

    Cheers.

    Si

    --

    Si wrote:
    > So that means that the 3rd number changes from 8 to 3. Seems a bit of a jump
    > to me.

    Yes,that is a bit strange.My 8I875Ultra has the numbers in the correct
    order.You probably need to switch 8 with the last 3.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    OK, many thanks Glitch.

    Si

    --
    > Si wrote:
    >> So that means that the 3rd number changes from 8 to 3. Seems a bit of a
    >> jump to me.
    >>

    > Yes,that is a bit strange.My 8I875Ultra has the numbers in the correct
    > order.You probably need to switch 8 with the last 3.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I just installed the following ram: 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2Pro. I'm a
    > bit confused about the timing settings on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo.
    > According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
    > for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set
    > to "SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I
    > need to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in
    > the BIOS?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Si
    >
    > --
    > I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

    Hi Si

    It will work for you. As I found you will almost certainly have to adjust
    your timings manually.

    I have the same board and memory combination. Thinking at the time (over a
    year ago) that the best memory around and Gigabyte's flagship model would
    sync up out of the box so to speak I installed everything and found that
    there were some serious memory errors being caused when memory timings were
    set to SPD. I then checked Gigabyte's list of recommended memory
    manufacturers and models and found that my expensive Corsair RAM wasn't on
    the list. Aaarrghhh!! Lesson: Always check this stuff first AND never
    assume anything!

    I hunted around a bit on the Net and luckily found someone else who'd had
    the same issues and who'd kindly published their ideal manual memory
    settings they'd discovered after hours of experimental tweaking. These
    worked a treat for me and my system is rock solid stable. Runs two music
    apps in the main: Cubase SX3 and the older Cubase VST 5.2 (the reason I
    mention these two apps is that if anything's going to fall over for the
    slightest reason these are two applications that will notice anything
    slightly out of tune and let you know quite impolitely by rebooting). I
    also tested extensively with MemTest86

    I have to go out in a few minutes, but I will boot my music PC when I return
    later today and let you know the BIOS settings I've used. BTW my CPU is
    the Pentium 4 3.0e model (not Prescott, but 800MHz nevertheless). Not sure
    of the current BIOS revision in my PC, but will check that too for you.
    I'll also give you a run-down on the overall spec and other hardware
    installed in my system (and in which PCI slot) for reference. It'll take me
    longer than I have right now to get the machine out of its current location.
    Sorry for any delay.

    Please reply via group, my email address is not as this post indicates.
    Once bitten by serious spam, I don't intend to go down that path again.

    Regards

    Nick
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Thanks Nick, that would be really helpful. I'm having real problems at the
    moment. I also installed a new cpu as well as the memory and now my PC keeps
    re-booting after a short time. I am at a total loss as to what to do.

    Cheers.

    Si

    --
    "Nickm" <nickm@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I just installed the following ram: 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2Pro. I'm
    >> a bit confused about the timing settings on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0
    >> mobo. According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is
    >> 2-3-3-6 for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry
    >> was set to "SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this
    >> something I need to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to
    >> which entry in the BIOS?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Si
    >>
    >> --
    >> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    >>

    > Hi Si
    >
    > It will work for you. As I found you will almost certainly have to adjust
    > your timings manually.
    >
    > I have the same board and memory combination. Thinking at the time (over
    > a year ago) that the best memory around and Gigabyte's flagship model
    > would sync up out of the box so to speak I installed everything and found
    > that there were some serious memory errors being caused when memory
    > timings were set to SPD. I then checked Gigabyte's list of recommended
    > memory manufacturers and models and found that my expensive Corsair RAM
    > wasn't on the list. Aaarrghhh!! Lesson: Always check this stuff first
    > AND never assume anything!
    >
    > I hunted around a bit on the Net and luckily found someone else who'd had
    > the same issues and who'd kindly published their ideal manual memory
    > settings they'd discovered after hours of experimental tweaking. These
    > worked a treat for me and my system is rock solid stable. Runs two music
    > apps in the main: Cubase SX3 and the older Cubase VST 5.2 (the reason I
    > mention these two apps is that if anything's going to fall over for the
    > slightest reason these are two applications that will notice anything
    > slightly out of tune and let you know quite impolitely by rebooting). I
    > also tested extensively with MemTest86
    >
    > I have to go out in a few minutes, but I will boot my music PC when I
    > return later today and let you know the BIOS settings I've used. BTW my
    > CPU is the Pentium 4 3.0e model (not Prescott, but 800MHz nevertheless).
    > Not sure of the current BIOS revision in my PC, but will check that too
    > for you. I'll also give you a run-down on the overall spec and other
    > hardware installed in my system (and in which PCI slot) for reference.
    > It'll take me longer than I have right now to get the machine out of its
    > current location. Sorry for any delay.
    >
    > Please reply via group, my email address is not as this post indicates.
    > Once bitten by serious spam, I don't intend to go down that path again.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Nick

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    It sounds like memory timing issues. Sorry for the delay. Was out all day
    yesterday and didn't have time to give you the info you need. Hope to find
    an hour in an hour or so though :-)

> [...]
    >> slightest reason these are two applications that will notice anything
    >> slightly out of tune and let you know quite impolitely by rebooting). I
    >> also tested extensively with MemTest86
    >>
    >> I have to go out in a few minutes, but I will boot my music PC when I
    >> return later today and let you know the BIOS settings I've used. BTW my
    >> CPU is the Pentium 4 3.0e model (not Prescott, but 800MHz nevertheless).
    >> Not sure of the current BIOS revision in my PC, but will check that too
    >> for you. I'll also give you a run-down on the overall spec and other
    >> hardware installed in my system (and in which PCI slot) for reference.
    >> It'll take me longer than I have right now to get the machine out of its
    >> current location. Sorry for any delay.
    >>
    >> Please reply via group, my email address is not as this post indicates.
    >> Once bitten by serious spam, I don't intend to go down that path again.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Thanks mate. I tried putting in my old memory but the pc still reboots.

    Si

    --
> [...]
    >>> slightly out of tune and let you know quite impolitely by rebooting). I
    >>> also tested extensively with MemTest86
    >>>
    >>> I have to go out in a few minutes, but I will boot my music PC when I
    >>> return later today and let you know the BIOS settings I've used. BTW
    >>> my
    >>> CPU is the Pentium 4 3.0e model (not Prescott, but 800MHz nevertheless).
    >>> Not sure of the current BIOS revision in my PC, but will check that too
    >>> for you. I'll also give you a run-down on the overall spec and other
    >>> hardware installed in my system (and in which PCI slot) for reference.
    >>> It'll take me longer than I have right now to get the machine out of its
    >>> current location. Sorry for any delay.
    >>>
    >>> Please reply via group, my email address is not as this post indicates.
    >>> Once bitten by serious spam, I don't intend to go down that path again.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Hi Si

    Apologies for the delay in replying again. As you will see, to get all the
    info down in black and white takes a fair old amount of time.

    Here's my system spec (I use this PC for multi-track audio recording with
    Steinberg Cubase VST 32 v5.2 and/or Cubase SX 3).

    The fans and drives are quite noisy, as would be expected given the numbers
    involved, which for an audio recording PC is normally a problem, but the
    whole machine iteslf is isolated and therefore not a problem when in use.

    Windows XP SP1 (just haven't got round to upgrading yet)

    PSU - TOPOWER 420w PSU

    Graphics - ATI Radeon 9200 AGP 8x 128MB
    PCI Slot 1 - empty
    PCI Slot 2 - Terratec EWS88MT 8 in - 8 out 24/96 audio card
    PCI Slot 3 - Terratec EWS88MT 8 in - 8 out 24/96 audio card
    PCI Slot 4 - Terratec EWS88MT 8 in - 8 out 24/96 audio card
    PCI Slot 5 - empty

    Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller Drives:
    IDE Channel 1 Master: IBM/Hitachi 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
    IDE Channel 1 Slave: Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
    IDE Channel 2 Master: Pioneer DVR-106D DVD-RW
    IDE Channel 2 Slave: Lite-on 16x DVD ROM Drive
    ITE IT812 ATA RAID Controller Drives:
    IDE Channel 1 Master: Maxtor 40 GB 7200rpm 2MB cache
    IDE Channel 1 Slave: Western Digital 30 GB 7200rpm 2MB cache
    IDE Channel 2 Master: Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
    IDE Channel 2 Slave: Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
    Silicon Image SiL 3112 SATA Raid Controller Drives:
    Channel 0: Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache SATA
    Channel 1: Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache SATA
    Remaining 2 SATA ports - empty

    Standard 3.5" Floppy Drive

    Memory DIMM Slots Used:
    Slot nearest CPU on first bank
    Slot nearest CPU on second bank

    Memory Type:
    Corsair Twin-X 1024-3200C Pro (2 x 512MB Matched Pair)

    CPU:
    Intel P4 3.0(e) 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB Hyper-Threading (512Kb cache) NOT
    PRESCOTT
    CPU FAN:
    Stock Intel Fan as supplied with CPU

    BIOS Revision: FE

    BIOS Settings for CPU/Memory etc...

    (You'll need to press Ctrl + F1 for the hidden Advanced Chipset features and
    Top Performance menu items)

    Standard CMOS Features - normal drive and date settings
    Advanced BIOS Features:
    Hard Disk Boot Priority: 1-Ch0 M; 2-Ch 0 S; 3-SCSI-1: Sil Striped Set;
    4-SCSI-0: IT8212; 5-Bootable Add-in cards
    BIOS Flash Protection: AUTO
    First Boot Device: Hard Disk
    Second Boot Device: CDROM
    Third Boot Device: Floppy
    Boot Up Floppy Seek: Disabled
    Boot Up Num Lock: ON
    Password Check: SETUP
    Interrupt Mode: APIC
    HDD Smart Capability: DISABLED (no particular reason)
    CPU Hyper-Threading: ENABLED
    Delay for HDD (Secs): 0
    Full Screen Logo Show: DISABLED
    Intel On-Screen Branding: ENABLED
    Flexible AGP 8x: AUTO
    DRAM Data Integrity Mode: (greyed) Non-ECC
    Init Display First: AGP
    Advanced Chipset Features:
    Configure DRAM Timing: MANUAL
    CAS Latency Time: 2
    Active to Precharge Delay: 6
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
    DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
    Refresh Mode Select: 7.8us
    Delayed Transaction: ENABLED
    AGP Aperture Size: 128MB
    PSB Parking: DISABLED
    Command Per Clock: AUTO
    Current CPC: (greyed) DISABLED
    Fast Chip Select: AUTO
    Current FCS: (greyed) ENABLED
    Dynamic Paging Mode: AUTO
    Current Dynamic Paging: (greyed) ENABLED
    Integrated Peripherals:
    On-Chip Primary PCI IDE: ENABLED
    On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE: ENABLED
    (the following settings inclusive are set to AUTO)
    from IDE1 Conductor Cable to On-Chip SATA - ALL AUTO
    SATA Port0 configure as: SATA Port0 (greyed)
    SATA Port1 configure as: SATA Port1 (greyed)
    SATA RAID Function: ENABLED
    USB Controller: ENABLED
    USB 2.0 Controller: ENABLED
    USB Keyboard Support: DISABLED
    USB Mouse Support: DISABLED
    Onboard H/W SATA: ENABLED
    Serial ATA Function: RAID
    Onboard H/W GIGARAID: ENABLED
    GigaRAID Function: ATA
    Onboard H/W 1394: ENABLED
    Onboard H/W LAN: ENABLED
    Onboard Serial Port 1: 3F8/IRQ4
    Onboard Serial Port 2: 2F8/IRQ3
    UART Mode Select: NORMAL
    UR2 Duplex Mode: (greyed): HALF
    Onboard Parallel Port: 378/IRQ7
    Parallel Port Mode: SPP
    ECP Mode Use DMA: (greyed) 3
    Game Port Address: 201
    Midi Port Address: DISABLED
    Midi Port IRQ: (greyed): 10
    CIR Port Address: DISABLED
    CIR Port IRQ: (greyed) 11
    Power Management Setup:
    ACPI Suspend Type: S1 (POS)
    USB Device Wake-up from S3: (greyed) ENABLED
    Power LED in S1 State: BLINKING
    Off by Power Button: INSTANT-OFF
    Everything else: DISABLED
    AC BACK Function: SOFT-OFF
    PnP/PCI Configurations:
    Everything set to AUTO
    PC Health Status (pertinent settings only):
    CPU Warning Temperature: 60deg C/140 deg F
    CPU Fan Fail Warning: ENABLED
    Power Fan Warning: DISABLED (tower cooling fans are not controlled by
    board)
    System Fan Warning: DISABLED (tower cooling fans are not controlled by
    board)
    CPU Smart Fan Control: ENABLED
    Frequency Voltage Control:
    C.I.A. Function: ENABLED
    C.I.A. Frequency: CRUISE
    CPU Host Clock Control: (greyed) DISABLED
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz): (greyed) 100
    AGP/PCI/SRC Fixed: (greyed) 66/33/100
    Memory Frequency for: AUTO
    Memory Frequency (MHz): (greyed) 400
    AGP/PCI/SRC Frequency (MHz): (greyed) 66/33/100
    DIMM OverVoltage Control: +0.2v (Corsair Memory recommended this
    increase on the packaging)
    AGP OverVoltage Control: NORMAL
    CPU Voltage Control: NORMAL
    Normal CPU Vcore: (greyed) 1.5250V
    Top Performance
    DISABLED

    I don't think there's anything more I can tell you about my system.

    If you try the manual memory settings I have listed, plus the 0.2v
    overvoltage on your RAM (check your memory's packaging first! - sorry, but
    you're on your own if by any chance it should burn out because of
    over-voltage. It's always a slight risk, but it was recommended by Corsair
    on the packaging my RAM came in, and has worked for me to date), you should
    achieve stability. There is a proviso though... your existing OS and
    software installation should have been stable to start with (I assume it was
    with your old CPU from what you've previously described) AND you're not
    overclocking anything (I assume you're not from what you have said - but in
    general overclocking terms, not particularly specific to the 8KNXP, unless
    you lock the AGP and PCI frequencies to 66MHz and 33MHz respectively, every
    1MHz increase to the CPU's base FSB - normally 100MHz for P4 but multiplied
    within the CPU to give 533 or 800MHz actual speed - will increase the AGP
    frequency by a further 0.66MHz and the PCI bus frequency by a further 0.33
    MHz. Whilst most modern AGP cards are quite flexible in this respect, not
    all PCI cards are and some might start to fall over causing random reboots
    with a moderate PCI frequency increase to only 37MHz or so.). The 8KNXP
    like many other modern boards has been designed for overclocking to some
    extent, and therefore has the ability to lock AGP and PCI frequencies to
    66MHz and 33MHz irrespective of how fast you can push the CPU and Memory.
    SATA controllers also suffer from overclocking settings and o/c is not
    recommended if you are using SATA. Personally, I've tried overclocking with
    a degree of success a long time before getting this board, and yes, it's a
    bit of fun to get something for nothing and to see how it's done, but with
    this particular PC, I can't afford for it to fall over in the middle of a
    band's live performance at a gig, so stability is paramount, so apart from
    the memory timings which I found in December 2003 on the Net and can't take
    credit for, I haven't made any special provision.

    You might find swapping any PCI cards you have around to different slots
    might help (but as you've run the baord for some time, I doubt that this
    will help).

    The only other thing I can think of, is a dodgy driver - you should always
    try where possible to use drivers that have been certified (signed) by
    Microsoft. I know it's not always possible, but Microsoft have cleverly
    largely dodged the issue of being accused (as they have been a lot in the
    past) of producing a faulty OS when quite a lot of the time a faulty 3rd
    party driver was to blame. That's why the message pops up asking you to
    confirm that you want to use an unsigned driver, thereby passing the
    responsibility if the system fails to you. You always have System Restore
    or the last of the regular backups you took ;-/ Graphics card drivers are
    probably the most common culprits in my experience - many graphics card
    manufacturers - Matrox in particular - used to tweak a few settings via
    software drivers (probably still do in a more sophisticated way) to give
    their cards the edge, and although I like Matrox cards a lot, a few years
    ago (pre-XP) they used to give me some interesting moments.

    I hope the information I have shared here helps you sort out your problem.

    Regards

    Nick
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Hey Nick,

    Many thanks for that very detailed reply. Last night, mainly because I was
    out of ideas, I decided to disable Hyperthreading to see if that would help.
    I then ran Spysweeper, which usually caused the PC to reboot after about 2
    minutes, and low and behold, it stayed on. I've been running it all day and
    it seems fine now (that's tempting fate). Does this mean I can't use
    Hyperthreading at all?

    Many thanks for your help and advice.

    Cheers.

    Si

    --
> [...]
    > largely dodged the issue of being accused (as they have been a lot in the
    > past) of producing a faulty OS when quite a lot of the time a faulty 3rd
    > party driver was to blame. That's why the message pops up asking you to
    > confirm that you want to use an unsigned driver, thereby passing the
    > responsibility if the system fails to you. You always have System Restore
    > or the last of the regular backups you took ;-/ Graphics card drivers are
    > probably the most common culprits in my experience - many graphics card
    > manufacturers - Matrox in particular - used to tweak a few settings via
    > software drivers (probably still do in a more sophisticated way) to give
    > their cards the edge, and although I like Matrox cards a lot, a few years
    > ago (pre-XP) they used to give me some interesting moments.
    >
    > I hope the information I have shared here helps you sort out your problem.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    No. That's not right. Hyperthreading should run OK. I find the CPU runs a
    few degrees cooler with HT enabled as well. Are you running a Prescott
    chip by any chance? I saw you'd enquired about the FJ BIOS in an earlier
    post. Whilst this morning I was running FE, I've now updated to FJ with no
    problem. Some of the BIOS' earlier than FE were not Prescott compatible for
    sure. That may be a possibility as well.

    Nick

> [...]
    >> been a lot in the past) of producing a faulty OS when quite a lot of the
    >> time a faulty 3rd party driver was to blame. That's why the message pops
    >> up asking you to confirm that you want to use an unsigned driver, thereby
    >> passing the responsibility if the system fails to you. You always have
    >> System Restore or the last of the regular backups you took ;-/ Graphics
    >> card drivers are probably the most common culprits in my experience -
    >> many graphics card manufacturers - Matrox in particular - used to tweak a
    >> few settings via software drivers (probably still do in a more
    >> sophisticated way) to give their cards the edge, and although I like
    >> Matrox cards a lot, a few years ago (pre-XP) they used to give me some
    >> interesting moments.
    >>
    >> I hope the information I have shared here helps you sort out your

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Hey Nick,

    Yeah, I am running a Prescott. Couldn't find a 3.0GHz Northwood for love nor
    money! I had already updated my BIOS to FJ before I installed everything.
    Someone just told me that when Hyperthreading is enabled in the BIOS, I
    still need to change a setting in the Device Manager. He said that I need to
    expand the "Computer" tree and change the "Advanced Computer Power
    Management (ACPI)" to MPS. I'm not sure if this will help but I'm going to
    try it now.

    Cheers.

    Si

    --
> [...]
    >>> been a lot in the past) of producing a faulty OS when quite a lot of the
    >>> time a faulty 3rd party driver was to blame. That's why the message
    >>> pops up asking you to confirm that you want to use an unsigned driver,
    >>> thereby passing the responsibility if the system fails to you. You
    >>> always have System Restore or the last of the regular backups you took
    >>> ;-/ Graphics card drivers are probably the most common culprits in my
    >>> experience - many graphics card manufacturers - Matrox in particular -
    >>> used to tweak a few settings via software drivers (probably still do in
    >>> a more sophisticated way) to give their cards the edge, and although I
    >>> like Matrox cards a lot, a few years ago (pre-XP) they used to give me
    >>> some interesting moments.
    >>>
    >>> I hope the information I have shared here helps you sort out your

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Well that was a waste of time. I didn't see any option to change it. Oh well
    back to disabling it again.....lol.

    Si

    --
    > Hey Nick,
    >
    > Yeah, I am running a Prescott. Couldn't find a 3.0GHz Northwood for love
    > nor money! I had already updated my BIOS to FJ before I installed
    > everything. Someone just told me that when Hyperthreading is enabled in
    > the BIOS, I still need to change a setting in the Device Manager. He said
    > that I need to expand the "Computer" tree and change the "Advanced
    > Computer Power Management (ACPI)" to MPS. I'm not sure if this will help
    > but I'm going to try it now.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Si
    >

    > --
    > I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    > "Nickm" <nickm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> No. That's not right. Hyperthreading should run OK. I find the CPU
    >> runs a few degrees cooler with HT enabled as well. Are you running a
    >> Prescott chip by any chance? I saw you'd enquired about the FJ BIOS in
    >> an earlier post. Whilst this morning I was running FE, I've now updated
    >> to FJ with no problem. Some of the BIOS' earlier than FE were not
    >> Prescott compatible for sure. That may be a possibility as well.
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>
    >> "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hey Nick,
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for that very detailed reply. Last night, mainly because I
    >>> was out of ideas, I decided to disable Hyperthreading to see if that
    >>> would help. I then ran Spysweeper, which usually caused the PC to reboot
    >>> after about 2 minutes, and low and behold, it stayed on. I've been
    >>> running it all day and it seems fine now (that's tempting fate). Does
    >>> this mean I can't use Hyperthreading at all?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for your help and advice.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> Si
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    >>> "Nickm" <nickm@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hey Nick,
    >
    > Yeah, I am running a Prescott. Couldn't find a 3.0GHz Northwood for love
    > nor money! I had already updated my BIOS to FJ before I installed
    > everything. Someone just told me that when Hyperthreading is enabled in
    > the BIOS, I still need to change a setting in the Device Manager. He said
    > that I need to expand the "Computer" tree and change the "Advanced
    > Computer Power Management (ACPI)" to MPS. I'm not sure if this will help
    > but I'm going to try it now.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Si
    >

    > --
    > I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    > "Nickm" <nickm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> No. That's not right. Hyperthreading should run OK. I find the CPU
    >> runs a few degrees cooler with HT enabled as well. Are you running a
    >> Prescott chip by any chance? I saw you'd enquired about the FJ BIOS in
    >> an earlier post. Whilst this morning I was running FE, I've now updated
    >> to FJ with no problem. Some of the BIOS' earlier than FE were not
    >> Prescott compatible for sure. That may be a possibility as well.
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>
    >> "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hey Nick,
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for that very detailed reply. Last night, mainly because I
    >>> was out of ideas, I decided to disable Hyperthreading to see if that
    >>> would help. I then ran Spysweeper, which usually caused the PC to reboot
    >>> after about 2 minutes, and low and behold, it stayed on. I've been
    >>> running it all day and it seems fine now (that's tempting fate). Does
    >>> this mean I can't use Hyperthreading at all?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for your help and advice.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> Si
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    >>> "Nickm" <nickm@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    I upgraded to XP SP2 yesterday on my 8KNXP PC. That's made no difference to
    the ACPI Multiprocessor PC setting that's present in my Device Manager
    anyway. As I say my 3.0 GHz CPU is not a Prescott but it does support HT.
    I have several other PCs with Prescott 2.8 GHz and Prescott 3.2GHz installed
    and although they tend to run warmer, I've had no issues. 2 of these PC's
    are based on Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-Pro boards (865 chipset) and the other is
    based on an Asus P8P800-E-Deluxe board (also 865 chipset). All 3 are set up
    as ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

    I did have an issue of my own making ages ago on another PC (in fact it's
    the one I'm typing this on), which originally ran Windows XP as a Standard
    PC rather than ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I'd done it this way because it has
    a Pinnacle DV500+ video editing card installed. It was very picky about
    IRQ settings with earlier drivers and I wanted to take control of it rather
    than it of me LOL. The only way I could do this was to set it up from a
    clean install as a 'Standard PC' rather than 'ACPI'. You do this at the
    very beginning of a clean install at the point when the text based part of
    XP's Setup routine asks you to press F6 for any non-standard disk
    controllers - and whilst it doesn't actually bother to mention it on-screen,
    you can also press F5 which shortly gives you the option of specifying
    Standard or ACPI or other settings. When I changed the CPU to a 3.06GHz HT
    model and by which time the DV500 drivers were a little more XP friendly, I
    wanted to run HT, and I ended up re-installing XP from scratch. However,
    you can run a repair on Windows XP which will essentially replace the main
    OS content files without removing your applications or other settings. Many
    people use this method when transferring an existing installation on disk to
    a new type of board. Basically you run the install routine from CD as you
    would if you were installing from scratch. You'd press F5 and/or F6 at the
    start of the routine. Let the setup run until it offers you the chance to
    repair (this is the first of 2 such offers). Bypass that one and then when
    the setup routine checks for existing Windows XP installations and finds
    one, this will be your current installation - that's the one you should
    repair. It will strip out all the main parts of the OS, copy the correct
    files for your new configuration and then all you need to do is wait, enter
    the product key details etc... and it should work as you've specified. It's
    quite a big thing to take on though, so you should definitely make a Ghost
    backup of your main system partition so that you can restore it if it all
    goes horribly pear shaped.

    Have you got a second hard drive you could run a clean install of XP on? A
    little experiment here may confirm whether or not it's an OS problem because
    of some legacy driver.

    Nick

Gigabyte Motherboards