Opinions on K8NS-939

vinCe

I find this board really well-priced against other NF3Ultra MBs like
the MSI Neo2 Plat MB.

Are they for the new 90um A64 939s?

Is it bad or what?

Maybe you guys can tell me if there are probs or instabilites.

I have not used Gigabytes for ages... they were problematic the ones I
had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?

Test report link I found compared it to MSI but looked scptical to me:
http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=182&page=10

predator

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I have it, works as advertised.

But it sounds to me like you want a board that can overclock. I ran into a
website a week ago that had the overclocking protential, pros and cons of
all the socket 939 motherboards in their forums, unforunately I can't find
it

"Vince" <vince@lobo.com> wrote in message
>I find this board really well-priced against other NF3Ultra MBs like
> the MSI Neo2 Plat MB.
>
> Are they for the new 90um A64 939s?
>
> Is it bad or what?
>
> Maybe you guys can tell me if there are probs or instabilites.
>
> I have not used Gigabytes for ages... they were problematic the ones I
> had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?
>
> Test report link I found compared it to MSI but looked scptical to me:
> http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=182&page=10

Just +.2v adjustment for memory.
I'll probably get one.
Check the newegg reviews, but they sometimes don't post bad ones, sometimes
they do.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

vinCe

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:36:07 -0500, "Predator"
<predator.this@predator.that> wrote:

>I have it, works as advertised.
>
>But it sounds to me like you want a board that can overclock. I ran into a
>website a week ago that had the overclocking protential, pros and cons of
>all the socket 939 motherboards in their forums, unforunately I can't find
>it

Overclocking will be a nice bonus, but I seldom use it.
The easy tune feature advertised implies "overclocking possibilities"
but I find it mainly fake on the older ones.

Are you using the 90um 939 Athlon?

Thanks.

>"Vince" <vince@lobo.com> wrote in message
>>I find this board really well-priced against other NF3Ultra MBs like
>> the MSI Neo2 Plat MB.
>>
>> Are they for the new 90um A64 939s?
>>
>> Is it bad or what?
>>
>> Maybe you guys can tell me if there are probs or instabilites.
>>
>> I have not used Gigabytes for ages... they were problematic the ones I
>> had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?
>>
>> Test report link I found compared it to MSI but looked scptical to me:
>> http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=182&page=10

predator

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Yea easy tune does work, it lets you OC the fsb, voltages and bus speeds
although I found it too generic. Overclocking these processors takes some
research. I also used nvidia's ntune but didn't like it either. Like you I
didn't buy it to overclock so I attempted it only half heartedly. I believe
if you really want to OC you are probably better off doing it from the bios
..

my chip is a 64 3000+xp 90nm winchester

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:36:07 -0500, "Predator"
> <predator.this@predator.that> wrote:
>
>>I have it, works as advertised.
>>
>>But it sounds to me like you want a board that can overclock. I ran into a
>>website a week ago that had the overclocking protential, pros and cons of
>>all the socket 939 motherboards in their forums, unforunately I can't find
>>it
>>
> Overclocking will be a nice bonus, but I seldom use it.
> The easy tune feature advertised implies "overclocking possibilities"
> but I find it mainly fake on the older ones.
>
> Are you using the 90um 939 Athlon?
>
> Thanks.
>>
>>"Vince" <vince@lobo.com> wrote in message
>>>I find this board really well-priced against other NF3Ultra MBs like
>>> the MSI Neo2 Plat MB.
>>>
>>> Are they for the new 90um A64 939s?
>>>
>>> Is it bad or what?
>>>
>>> Maybe you guys can tell me if there are probs or instabilites.
>>>
>>> I have not used Gigabytes for ages... they were problematic the ones I
>>> had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?
>>>
>>> Test report link I found compared it to MSI but looked scptical to me:
>>> http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=182&page=10

vinCe

Thanks for comments.

I will be getting one soon, unless something deterimental comes up on
this board. Looks like Giga have gone pass their bad times with the
old P3 boards with little faults.

vinCe

I Wonder!!!

This came off the Rage3d.com Forum:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33795794&page=1

Dec 16, 2004, 03:02 PM #11
DiaperJe|\|i3
Shadow Wang

Location: Back to Timmies!

I'm thinking -
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 NF3 S939 Mainboard w/Audio/GBLan/SATA/RAID
and
AMD Athlon64 3000+ S939 Processor, Retail
unless the 3200+ drops down to the $200 (can) range. Probably not
going to happen till after christmas though. Just not good timing
right now.

============================
Dec 16, 2004, 05:12 PM #12
Gator
Unreal Super Moderator

Location: New York

I hate to say this but as much I like to recommend Gigabyte brand and
Nforce3, I just built a rig for my friend using the Gigabyte K8NS
Ultra S939 and it's having a LOT of problems. We don't know yet what's
to blame, but the CPU fan kept failing if plugged directly into the
board, and it keeps rebooting randomly. Strangly my Gigabyte K8NS Pro
NF3-250 S754 is rock solid stable, and so is my father's Gigabyte K8N
Pro NF3-150 S754. I'll keep you posted if we resolve the problems, and
additionally we're building another rig with the same board. I'm
hoping it was just a defective board or memory... I'll let you know.
__________________

Vince wrote:
> Are they for the new 90um A64 939s?

Yes, I have A64 3000+ Winchester on this board and works good

> Maybe you guys can tell me if there are probs or instabilites.

No problems, "rock solid" motherboard. When you want "dual channel", you
must put memory sticks in memory slots with same color...

> I have not used Gigabytes for ages... they were problematic the ones I
> had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?

I have this processor overclocked at 2250 Mhz at default voltage (FSB
250 Mhz, memory set to 166 Mhz - real frequerency about 204 Mhz, HTT set
to 4x), but not use Easy Tune, only settings in BIOS. I know there are
people with this processor overclocked to 2500 - 2700 Mhz, but when I
try set FSB over 250 Mhz, my computer hangs... Maybe adding some volts
can help ... I try this in the future...

--
Roman SÄ…siada
katoda(znaczek)poczta.onet.pl

vinCe

Thanks for the info on stability.

What memory you use? Maybe if you have better memory you can OC
further? Careful with the volts as there is no Dual BIOs and you may
fry the board!

Try this forum on OC this board:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033

Vince wrote:
> Thanks for the info on stability.
>
> What memory you use? Maybe if you have better memory you can OC
> further? Careful with the volts as there is no Dual BIOs and you may
> fry the board!

I have two sticks of this memory
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR400X64C3A/256
2 x 256 MB Kingston ValueRam (CL3 at 200 Mhz, CL2.5 at 166 Mhz, CL2 at
133 Mhz)
In other system (Barton 2500+ and mobo with nForce 2) this memory works
at 230 Mhz FSB. In my system, when I have memory at 166 Mhz and FSB at
260 Mhz, memory works really at 212 Mhz (so this isn't a high frequency
to this memory), but - I think - at CL 2.5, so this can be a trick. If I
have more time, I try to play with memory settings etc.

--

"Roman Sasiada" <nie.lubie.spamu@i.hate.spam> wrote
> No problems, "rock solid" motherboard. When you want "dual channel", you
> must put memory sticks in memory slots with same color...

BTW if you get it don't miss the part in the manual where they give quite a
few memory combinations (that you're not really likely to do) that won't
boot.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Roman Sasiada" <nie.lubie.spamu@i.hate.spam> wrote

> I have this processor overclocked at 2250 Mhz at default voltage (FSB 250
> Mhz, memory set to 166 Mhz - real frequerency about 204 Mhz, HTT set to
> 4x)

I'm hip to setting the memory slower and bringing up the bus. Can you do a
synopsis of how to know where to set the hypertransport?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:

> I'm hip to setting the memory slower and bringing up the bus. Can you do a
> synopsis of how to know where to set the hypertransport?

At BIOS main screen hit Ctrl-F1 and you see new item - Advanced Chipset
Setup. In this section you can see setting for HyperTransport (1x-5x),
memory timings, AGP aperture size etc.

--
Roman S±siada

"Roman S±siada" <nie.lubie.spamu@i.hate.spam> wrote in message
> Ed Light wrote:
>
>> I'm hip to setting the memory slower and bringing up the bus. Can you do
>> a synopsis of how to know where to set the hypertransport?
>
> At BIOS main screen hit Ctrl-F1 and you see new item - Advanced Chipset
> Setup. In this section you can see setting for HyperTransport (1x-5x),
> memory timings, AGP aperture size etc.

Thanks, Roman.

Is there a url for how to use the hypertransport ratio while overclocking?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Be careful with Corsair memory. I have 2 * 512MB of Corsair RAM (the ones
with the Activity LED's) and I'm using the latest F8 BIOS for the
GA-K8NS-939 and I have never been able to use it in Dual Channel.

I can only get the thing to boot with the sticks in slots 1 & 3. Anything
else all I get is beeps.

Not a bad board otherwise.

Peter Geddes

Ed Light wrote:

> Is there a url for how to use the hypertransport ratio while overclocking?

I know some URLs, but all are in polish (i.e.
http://www.clockmehigh.com/xtreme/rapra/A64-art/Tajniki%20A64.html).
Rule to overclock with Hypertransport ratio is simple: don't overclock
HTT in this mobo over 1000 Mhz, because system can hang or will be
unstable. So if you have FSB set to 200 Mhz - HTT ratio can be 5x, 4x or
lower. With FSB 250 Mhz - 4x, 3x or lower. There's no noticeable
differences in performance with HTT on 1000 or 800/700 Mhz.

Another question is memory clock speed, it changes with FSB and memory
divider. In Ga-K8NS-939 BIOS these settings are too complicated (i.e. if
you set memory speed at 166 Mhz, memory can be clocked even 200 Mhz...),
so I use this tool
http://forum.tweak.pl/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=33
Set FSB, memory divider, CPU multiplier and as result you can see real
memory clock.

--
Roman S±siada
katoda(znaczek)poczta.onet.pl
http://katoda.republika.pl
GG: 176820 ICQ: 5901565 Jabber: rsasiada(znaczek)jabber.wp.pl
Hint: (znaczek)=@

Thanks, Roman, I'm all set to go!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

G'day all

Can someone fill me in on the sound that comes with this card before i buy
it this week. I know it says 8-channel codec through a universal audio jack,
but how the hell do you get 8 channels from this? Also, i note this MB does
not come with S/P DIF in/out as far as i can tell, whereas the ultra does.
Does anyone actually use it anyway?

Cheers
B.

"Vince" <vince@lobo.com> wrote in message
>I find this board really well-priced against other NF3Ultra MBs like
> the MSI Neo2 Plat MB.
>
> Are they for the new 90um A64 939s?
>
> Is it bad or what?
>
> Maybe you guys can tell me if there are probs or instabilites.
>
> I have not used Gigabytes for ages... they were problematic the ones I
> had. The Easy Tune was rubbish.... have they worked this out yet?
>
> Test report link I found compared it to MSI but looked scptical to me:
> http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=182&page=10

I have tried two separate 3000+ Winchesters on this board with little
luck in the OC department - I know my PS and Ram are solid (TAGAN 550W
and HYPERX DDR 500) - I've seen bunches of people hitting 2.5 - 2.7 but
I can barely get to 2.25

"David Wilts" <ifnrule2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have tried two separate 3000+ Winchesters on this board with little luck
>in the OC department - I know my PS and Ram are solid (TAGAN 550W and
>HYPERX DDR 500) - I've seen bunches of people hitting 2.5 - 2.7 but I can
>barely get to 2.25

Are you lowering the hypertransport multiplier and setting the memory
slower?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:

> "David Wilts" <ifnrule2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have tried two separate 3000+ Winchesters on this board with little luck
>>in the OC department - I know my PS and Ram are solid (TAGAN 550W and
>>HYPERX DDR 500) - I've seen bunches of people hitting 2.5 - 2.7 but I can
>>barely get to 2.25
>

> Are you lowering the hypertransport multiplier and setting the memory
> slower?

Oh yeah tried everthing - same chip on the Epox 9NDA3J does 2.4 Ghz at a
litte more than stock - (9x267 HTT 3x Memory 1:1) (hyperX ddr 500 with a
ting more voltage at relaxed timings).

not that big of a deal the system I use it in is My Media Center PC so
no need to over clock - just experimenting and found out it's not the
best for that.

I just found that it likes to surprise you by slipping into auto on the
memory timings and, since you've set the memory to a slower setting in order
to overclock, it thinks it can tighten up the timings. Then it won't boot
except into the bios, since it's using timings that would work if the memory
was running slow.

It likes to do this, as far as I can see (just found it), either or both of
when hanging on boot overclocked, and/or when setting the memory slower.

To fix it I unoverclocked it and put the memory speed on normal and the
timings on auto and rebooted. Then I wrote down the timings, and put them on
manual. If they go into auto again I can just enter them manually when
setting it back to manual.

If I hadn't figured that out I'd be -- sniff :-( -- crying!

Of course it doesn't do it in everyday running.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\