Windows bootloader/MSI KM2M conflict

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them to
a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops booting
with the "Error loading operating system" message.

All the following produce the same message:
- 2 different video cards (AGP and PCI)
- 2 different SDR RAMs. Both were operating okay on the old board and
each passed the slow BIOS check on the new board.
- Changing every BIOS option I can find in different combinations.
Disabled cache, disabled any not-ide built in hardware, disabled UDMA.
Resetting to "Fail-safe" default settings, resetting using the CMOS
memory clear jumper
- Running fixboot and fixmbr in Windows Recovery Console. (fixmbr
didn't change a single byte in the first 512 of the disk according to
snapshots taken in Linux)
- Moving the Maxtor to [secondary IDE,master] and then starting Windows
from lilo running on a different drive (with options other=/dev/hdc
master-boot)
- Reading
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326676 , the
board has Award BIOS 6.0 and no option to disable LDB

After all of this I tried the drive with the old motherboard and it
still works the same as always.

Physically the drive is fine. Using Linux I can grab random bytes from
the disk and it looks okay. I'm not sure why Windows can't load from
it, but have stopped short of disassembling the MS boot loader because
I don't know anything about BIOS calls.

I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because I'm
afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to lose
them. Is this reasonable?

Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a PII
300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in about a
day.

Thank you and have a happy Dec 24,
Tom
8 answers Last reply
More about windows bootloader km2m conflict

    Tom wrote:

    > My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
    > single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them to
    > a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops booting
    > with the "Error loading operating system" message.
    >
    > All the following produce the same message:
    > - 2 different video cards (AGP and PCI)
    > - 2 different SDR RAMs. Both were operating okay on the old board and
    > each passed the slow BIOS check on the new board.
    > - Changing every BIOS option I can find in different combinations.
    > Disabled cache, disabled any not-ide built in hardware, disabled UDMA.
    > Resetting to "Fail-safe" default settings, resetting using the CMOS
    > memory clear jumper
    > - Running fixboot and fixmbr in Windows Recovery Console. (fixmbr
    > didn't change a single byte in the first 512 of the disk according to
    > snapshots taken in Linux)
    > - Moving the Maxtor to [secondary IDE,master] and then starting
    > Windows from lilo running on a different drive (with options
    > other=/dev/hdc master-boot)
    > - Reading
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326676 , the
    > board has Award BIOS 6.0 and no option to disable LDB
    >
    > After all of this I tried the drive with the old motherboard and it
    > still works the same as always.
    >
    > Physically the drive is fine. Using Linux I can grab random bytes from
    > the disk and it looks okay. I'm not sure why Windows can't load from
    > it, but have stopped short of disassembling the MS boot loader because
    > I don't know anything about BIOS calls.
    >
    > I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because
    > I'm afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to
    > lose them. Is this reasonable?
    >
    > Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a PII
    > 300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in about a
    > day.

    You're a good son, but you did everything except the only thing that
    would have worked: a Repair Install. You must do this after changing
    out the hardware like that. A Repair Install should not change your
    parents' settings - although you will need to reinstall Windows Updates
    patches. If they have already installed SP2, you will need to make a
    slipstreamed installation disk or the Repair Install will fail (unless
    their XP cd is already XPSP2).

    How to slipstream sp2 into XP
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    http://www.windows-help.net/windowsxp/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    However, it is always wise to back up data first.

    Here is a link to information about a Repair Install:

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    It's best to do a clean install but you can try this
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm .

    Tom wrote:

    > My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
    > single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them to
    > a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops booting
    > with the "Error loading operating system" message.
    >
    > All the following produce the same message:
    > - 2 different video cards (AGP and PCI)
    > - 2 different SDR RAMs. Both were operating okay on the old board and
    > each passed the slow BIOS check on the new board.
    > - Changing every BIOS option I can find in different combinations.
    > Disabled cache, disabled any not-ide built in hardware, disabled UDMA.
    > Resetting to "Fail-safe" default settings, resetting using the CMOS
    > memory clear jumper
    > - Running fixboot and fixmbr in Windows Recovery Console. (fixmbr
    > didn't change a single byte in the first 512 of the disk according to
    > snapshots taken in Linux)
    > - Moving the Maxtor to [secondary IDE,master] and then starting Windows
    > from lilo running on a different drive (with options other=/dev/hdc
    > master-boot)
    > - Reading
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326676 , the
    > board has Award BIOS 6.0 and no option to disable LDB
    >
    > After all of this I tried the drive with the old motherboard and it
    > still works the same as always.
    >
    > Physically the drive is fine. Using Linux I can grab random bytes from
    > the disk and it looks okay. I'm not sure why Windows can't load from
    > it, but have stopped short of disassembling the MS boot loader because
    > I don't know anything about BIOS calls.
    >
    > I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because I'm
    > afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to lose
    > them. Is this reasonable?
    >
    > Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a PII
    > 300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in about a
    > day.
    >
    > Thank you and have a happy Dec 24,
    > Tom

    Are you saying you are trying to boot from the drive that was in the old
    computer? A repair install is needed to do this:

    "Tom" <g@thecap.org> wrote in message
    > My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
    > single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them to
    > a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops booting
    > with the "Error loading operating system" message.
    >
    > All the following produce the same message:
    > - 2 different video cards (AGP and PCI)
    > - 2 different SDR RAMs. Both were operating okay on the old board and
    > each passed the slow BIOS check on the new board.
    > - Changing every BIOS option I can find in different combinations.
    > Disabled cache, disabled any not-ide built in hardware, disabled UDMA.
    > Resetting to "Fail-safe" default settings, resetting using the CMOS
    > memory clear jumper
    > - Running fixboot and fixmbr in Windows Recovery Console. (fixmbr
    > didn't change a single byte in the first 512 of the disk according to
    > snapshots taken in Linux)
    > - Moving the Maxtor to [secondary IDE,master] and then starting Windows
    > from lilo running on a different drive (with options other=/dev/hdc
    > master-boot)
    > - Reading
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326676 , the
    > board has Award BIOS 6.0 and no option to disable LDB
    >
    > After all of this I tried the drive with the old motherboard and it
    > still works the same as always.
    >
    > Physically the drive is fine. Using Linux I can grab random bytes from
    > the disk and it looks okay. I'm not sure why Windows can't load from
    > it, but have stopped short of disassembling the MS boot loader because
    > I don't know anything about BIOS calls.
    >
    > I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because I'm
    > afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to lose
    > them. Is this reasonable?
    >
    > Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a PII
    > 300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in about a
    > day.
    >
    > Thank you and have a happy Dec 24,
    > Tom

    If you are not replacing motherboard hardware with the same exact type then
    a repair installation of XP is almost surely going to be required, because
    improper motherboard drivers (at least) are otherwise installed that were
    intended for the old motherboard hardware. To avoid possible loss of current
    HDD content, and you say that boot disk works fine with the old motherboard,
    then make a bootable image copy of it to another hard disk and thoroughly
    "TEST IT" before assuming that the copy went perfectly (often it silently
    does not). Be sure to check to make sure that applications work on the new
    image drive, too. Others have said that this should not be necessary (and I
    agree) but my experience has shown several times that Microsoft Works might
    have to be reinstalled for *all* of its functionality to work again on the
    new imaged drive even if everything else seems to be working just fine. So I
    recommend that the CD's and their installation key be available if Works or
    Office is being used. And another point, which some say should not be
    necessary but my experience has found to be necessary *before* the 1st boot
    of an imaged drive is to perform a full and complete check for bad sectors
    and to let problems be fixed automatically. All this takes a lot of time
    (and another HDD), and prudent care, and it looks like you're up against the
    clock.

    Winguy

    > "Tom" <g@thecap.org> wrote in message
    > > My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
    > > single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them
    > > a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops
    booting
    > > with the "Error loading operating system" message.
    > >
    > > All the following produce the same message:
    <snip>

    > > I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because
    I'm
    > > afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to
    lose
    > > them. Is this reasonable?
    > >
    > > Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a
    PII
    > > 300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in
    about a
    > > day.

    Thank you so much for the replies, they have been very helpful. Sadly
    the computer has not been so kind.

    After reading the first few replies I put in the new motherboard,
    booted the WinXP CD and went to Repair installation. But no
    installation was found, even though C:\WINDOWS was listed a few hours
    ago and I had tried to avoid writing to the disk! I changed to the old
    motherboard and it now failed to boot with a corrupt
    system32\config\system error. I tried to follow
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 but config\system could not be
    copied. chkdsk /p exited at ~40% with "The volume appears
    to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". I used an extra HDD
    running XP Home Edition to copy a recent
    _restore{...}\RPx\Snapshot\system,sam,... to config\system and did an
    In-place install with the old motherboard. Post settings were preserved
    so I was back to where I started.

    With the new motherboard I booted the XP CD, selected Repair C:\WINDOWS
    and left it working. It copied files and rebooted to exactly the same
    error I started with: "Error loading operating system". I started a
    Repair C:\WINDOWS again (it detected the aborted installation) and the
    error reproduced.

    I ran chkdsk /p in the recovery console. It did not give me the
    "unrecoverable problems", but detected errors and increased kilobytes
    available during each of about 4-8 back to back runs. Then it finished
    with no errors twice.
    I did another in-place install with the new MB and 40GB Maxtor, but
    still got the "Error loading operating system" problem.
    I may need to try a clean install, but think I won't have time and
    restoring only data from the Norton Ghost image on DVDs will be a pain.

    Any ideas why Windows is so uncooperative with an MSI KM2M
    motherboard[1], 128MB PC100/256MB PC133 (tried on their own and
    together, pass a slow BIOS check), AMD XP 2100 and 40GB Maxtor
    DiamondMax Plus 8? I don't think it even gets past the bootloader code
    in the MBR because the string "Error loading operating system" is about
    400 bytes from the start of the disk.

    Thank you for the encouragement to use the in-place install.

    Tom

    Argh!

    [1] It's listed in the Windows Catalog
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=detail&pgn=4427e275-11d3-181a-2d85-24529d18ee6b&tab=3

    Well, the hard work of backup can't really be avoided if you want to make
    the try safely. A Repair is the standard requirement.

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    marfers notes for windows xp
    "Tom" <g@thecap.org> wrote in message
    > My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
    > single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them to
    > a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops booting
    > with the "Error loading operating system" message.
    >
    > All the following produce the same message:
    > - 2 different video cards (AGP and PCI)
    > - 2 different SDR RAMs. Both were operating okay on the old board and
    > each passed the slow BIOS check on the new board.
    > - Changing every BIOS option I can find in different combinations.
    > Disabled cache, disabled any not-ide built in hardware, disabled UDMA.
    > Resetting to "Fail-safe" default settings, resetting using the CMOS
    > memory clear jumper
    > - Running fixboot and fixmbr in Windows Recovery Console. (fixmbr
    > didn't change a single byte in the first 512 of the disk according to
    > snapshots taken in Linux)
    > - Moving the Maxtor to [secondary IDE,master] and then starting Windows
    > from lilo running on a different drive (with options other=/dev/hdc
    > master-boot)
    > - Reading
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326676 , the
    > board has Award BIOS 6.0 and no option to disable LDB
    >
    > After all of this I tried the drive with the old motherboard and it
    > still works the same as always.
    >
    > Physically the drive is fine. Using Linux I can grab random bytes from
    > the disk and it looks okay. I'm not sure why Windows can't load from
    > it, but have stopped short of disassembling the MS boot loader because
    > I don't know anything about BIOS calls.
    >
    > I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because I'm
    > afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to lose
    > them. Is this reasonable?
    >
    > Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a PII
    > 300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in about a
    > day.
    >
    > Thank you and have a happy Dec 24,
    > Tom

    Please see my second post with subject "Windows bootloader/MSI KM2M
    conflict even after in-place upgrade"
    news:1103938836.495205.309220@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com. After
    getting a few replies here strongly suggesting a repair install I did
    it. But even after doing a repair install I still get the "Error
    replied to the original question and nobody has replied to the second
    post.

    I don't know why the repair install failed and can't be sure that a new
    install will work. Unless a miracle occurs I'm going to have to put the
    PII 300MHz back.
    I'm not happy because I bought this upgrade for my parents but have
    been unable to get it working. No thanks to Microsoft (Liunx has been
    useful for me but won't easily support all the hardware my parents
    use).

    Tom

    Hi,

    Did you do a repair installation after changing the motherboard and cpu? If
    not, you need to. See:

    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Tom" <g@thecap.org> wrote in message
    > My parents have a 300MHz Pentium 2 with a 40GB Maxtor IDE holding a
    > single NTFS partition with Windows XP Pro. I am trying to move them to
    > a MSI KM2M motherboard with a AMD XP 2100, but Windows stops booting
    > with the "Error loading operating system" message.
    >
    > All the following produce the same message:
    > - 2 different video cards (AGP and PCI)
    > - 2 different SDR RAMs. Both were operating okay on the old board and
    > each passed the slow BIOS check on the new board.
    > - Changing every BIOS option I can find in different combinations.
    > Disabled cache, disabled any not-ide built in hardware, disabled UDMA.
    > Resetting to "Fail-safe" default settings, resetting using the CMOS
    > memory clear jumper
    > - Running fixboot and fixmbr in Windows Recovery Console. (fixmbr
    > didn't change a single byte in the first 512 of the disk according to
    > snapshots taken in Linux)
    > - Moving the Maxtor to [secondary IDE,master] and then starting Windows
    > from lilo running on a different drive (with options other=/dev/hdc
    > master-boot)
    > - Reading
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326676 , the
    > board has Award BIOS 6.0 and no option to disable LDB
    >
    > After all of this I tried the drive with the old motherboard and it
    > still works the same as always.
    >
    > Physically the drive is fine. Using Linux I can grab random bytes from
    > the disk and it looks okay. I'm not sure why Windows can't load from
    > it, but have stopped short of disassembling the MS boot loader because
    > I don't know anything about BIOS calls.
    >
    > I have not tried Repair installation from the XP install CD because I'm
    > afraid it will destroy my parents' settings and they don't want to lose
    > them. Is this reasonable?
    >
    > Any hints would be great. I don't want to leave my parents using a PII
    > 300MHz when an 1.7GHz is in their house, but I'm flying out in about a
    > day.
    >
    > Thank you and have a happy Dec 24,
    > Tom

Microsoft Windows XP