I received an RMA form for my GA-7N400 Pro2 fairly promptly (2 days) from
Gigabyte support. I shipped the board back to them overnight. At this point,
it has been 3 weeks and still no replacement. They say on the RMA form that
it could take up to a month but they told me it seldom takes that long. I
just assumed that they'd send another board (quickly), not actually repair
the one I sent in.

Luckily I have another working system, but this would be a sorry situation
if I were dead in the water with no backup. What have others experienced in
RMA times?
--
John

"John Bissell" <bissell@nospam.alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

>I received an RMA form for my GA-7N400 Pro2 fairly promptly (2 days) from
> Gigabyte support. I shipped the board back to them overnight. At this
> point,
> it has been 3 weeks and still no replacement. They say on the RMA form
> that
> it could take up to a month but they told me it seldom takes that long. I
> just assumed that they'd send another board (quickly), not actually repair
> the one I sent in.
>
> Luckily I have another working system, but this would be a sorry situation
> if I were dead in the water with no backup. What have others experienced
> in
> RMA times?

I plan as if a mobo failure will take weeks to realize a warranty
replacement, as that seems to be the norm in the industry, not just with
Gigabyte. In the past I kept a second system with nearly identical parts
(mobo, processor, etc.) and a mobile rack that could receive a clone of the
afflicted computer's HD. Then I could be up and running in no time.

But my latest build with a GA-8KNXP has no such cloned system, although I
have two other computers on the network (desktop and notebook) that could
take over in a pinch. If you have a system that is essential, I'd plan on
such contingencies, and when they happen you'll be ready.

vinCe

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:58:51 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

>"John Bissell" <bissell@nospam.alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
>
>>I received an RMA form for my GA-7N400 Pro2 fairly promptly (2 days) from
>> Gigabyte support. I shipped the board back to them overnight. At this
>> point,
>> it has been 3 weeks and still no replacement. They say on the RMA form
>> that
>> it could take up to a month but they told me it seldom takes that long. I
>> just assumed that they'd send another board (quickly), not actually repair
>> the one I sent in.
Actually, in the business, what they are REALLY doing may be to
scrounge around for another RMA board with a different problem, eg. a
hard disk led dysfunction, etc and pass that to you. Let's hope they
are more genuine than the treatment I got for some RMAs. MBs are
almost impossible and cost too much to troubleshoot/repair.

If you get a new one.. good for you but I suggest to look closely at
the board if they have changed yours for a used one!! Then check it
quickly to see if it has aother fault.

You may also remind them that they should not keep you waiting so long
and if they cannot fix it they should send you a new one asap. People
should not allow them to behave this way.