No Internet With Microsoft Broadband Wireless Networking

I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
either my laptop or second desktop.

It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.
7 answers Last reply
More about internet microsoft broadband wireless networking

    Jeff --

    I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    problem.

    Bob

    "Jeff K" wrote:

    > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
    > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
    > either my laptop or second desktop.
    >
    > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

    Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?

    "Bob" wrote:

    > Jeff --
    >
    > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    > problem.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Jeff K" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
    > > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
    > > either my laptop or second desktop.
    > >
    > > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

    The live chat tech suggested that I remove it at the router end -- and that
    is what I did. On the client end the card detected the router as
    "non-secure" which is, of course, appropriate.

    Bob

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
    >
    > "Bob" wrote:
    >

    > > Jeff --
    > >
    > > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    > > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    > > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    > > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    > > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > "Jeff K" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
    > > > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
    > > > either my laptop or second desktop.
    > > >
    > > > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

    I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
    experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that we're
    experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is that there
    doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread going in a
    non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be the way I'm
    implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears fruit.

    Bob

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
    >
    > "Bob" wrote:
    >

    > > Jeff --
    > >
    > > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    > > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    > > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    > > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    > > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > "Jeff K" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
    > > > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
    > > > either my laptop or second desktop.
    > > >
    > > > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

    Jeff --

    MAYBE I have an answer to at least my problem -- I'm not sure about yours.
    In setting up wireless security, I misread/misunderstood how I was supposed
    to generate a key. I was typing in a passphrase and generating a series of
    hex keys. Then when I configured the card I was entering the passphrase
    rather than one of the hex values. I reread the documentation and I can see
    how I interpreted it in the manner in which I did.

    Bob

    "Bob" wrote:

    > The live chat tech suggested that I remove it at the router end -- and that
    > is what I did. On the client end the card detected the router as
    > "non-secure" which is, of course, appropriate.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Jeff" wrote:
    >
    > > Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
    > >
    > > "Bob" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Jeff --
    > > >
    > > > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    > > > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    > > > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    > > > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    > > > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    > > > problem.
    > > >
    > > > Bob

    Bob,
    With your routers manufacturer the "key" process is different. With MS
    hardware, the process is automatic. Unless I read documentation wrong, it
    appears that it must be a secure connection. Without entering the key, you
    can't move forward in the process.

    Don't forget, I have Microsoft hardware, which may account for the difference.

    "Bob" wrote:

    > I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
    > experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that we're
    > experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is that there
    > doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread going in a
    > non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be the way I'm
    > implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears fruit.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "Jeff" wrote:
    >
    > > Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
    > >
    > > "Bob" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Jeff --
    > > >
    > > > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
    > > > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
    > > > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
    > > > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
    > > > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
    > > > problem.
    > > >
    > > > Bob

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Bob wrote:
    > I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
    > experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that
    > we're experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is
    > that there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread
    > going in a non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be
    > the way I'm implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears
    > fruit.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "Jeff" wrote:
    >
    >> Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
    >>
    >> "Bob" wrote:
    >>

    >>> Jeff --
    >>>
    >>> I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services
    >>> calls with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally
    >>> figured out that if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would
    >>> connect. I came into this forum to see if I can find out why this
    >>> is the case, and what to do about it. In any case, my problem --
    >>> any perhaps yours -- was an encryption problem.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    Bob, check one thing: in TCP/IP properties, Advanced button, Options
    tab, TCP/IP filtering, check that ports/protocols are set to Permit All,
    not Permit None. I've run into this with a couple Linksys wireless -b
    systems that could not connect.

Wireless Networking Microsoft Internet Wireless Networking