USB QUESTION

Hi all, Quick question. When i plug in a digital camera or a usb hard drive,
windows says it finds it and says its ready to go but there is no icon
popping up for it in the my computer window. any ideas??

bar

Under 'My Computer' a USB drive or Camera will be identified as another hard
drive.

"Tom Cahoone" wrote:

> Hi all, Quick question. When i plug in a digital camera or a usb hard drive,
> windows says it finds it and says its ready to go but there is no icon
> popping up for it in the my computer window. any ideas??

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Tom Cahoone" <stellacahoone@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi all, Quick question. When i plug in a digital camera or a usb hard
> drive,
> windows says it finds it and says its ready to go but there is no icon
> popping up for it in the my computer window. any ideas??

Just a shot: try a >view >refresh. If that don't work try different
cables. There are a lot
of bad cables out there.

Unfortunately, there isn't a simple way to troubleshoot why a removable drive
doesn't show up as a drive letter.
All one can do for now, is to poke around device manager, disk manager and so on :(
--PA

"Tom Cahoone" <stellacahoone@cox.net> wrote in message news:Iv4zd.59996$Jk5.56649@lakeread01...
> Hi all, Quick question. When i plug in a digital camera or a usb hard drive,
> windows says it finds it and says its ready to go but there is no icon
> popping up for it in the my computer window. any ideas??

Sandman

Au contraire; a USB camera shows-up as a camera icon in My Computer applet
in XP....

BAR wrote:
> Under 'My Computer' a USB drive or Camera will be identified as
> another hard drive.

Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. I have a camera (EOS 10D) and, when I
plug it in via USB my system picks it up for what it is - an EOS 10D camera
and it shows up in My Computer and Scanners and Cameras as exactly that. My
LaCie external drive (USB2/FireWire) is shown as a hard drive. If I plug my
camera's memory card into the card reader it's shown as a removable drive.
on salads.