How to find Memory speed

Hi,
Im planning to buy more memory. But they asked me to find my memory speed.
How can i find my memory speed on Windows Xp. Do i need a program or
something?
6 answers Last reply
More about find memory speed

    Try opening youre computer case,remove a memory module,the module
    will list speed on it,once removed take module to computer shop to match.

    "Jay" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Im planning to buy more memory. But they asked me to find my memory speed.
    > How can i find my memory speed on Windows Xp. Do i need a program or
    > something?

    Get EVEREST from www.lavalys.com It will report the make
    and specs on your memory.

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year

    Jay wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Im planning to buy more memory. But they asked me to find my memory speed.
    > How can i find my memory speed on Windows Xp. Do i need a program or
    > something?

    If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use one or more
    of these utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

    SiSoft's Sandra
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

    Belarc Advisor

    Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

    Lavalys' Everest Home
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
    to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
    computer and/or motherboard.

    Choose wisely. It is absolutely essential that any new RAM
    module(s) be fully compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other
    RAM module(s) already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes
    jumper switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
    configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the manufacturer's
    web site for specific instructions and compatibility requirements.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Try opening youre computer case,remove a memory module,the module
    > will list speed on it,once removed take module to computer shop to match.

    True and good idea.. Just make sure you unplug the computer's power cord
    before you take the RAM module out from the motherboard.

    This may seems like a "Doh!", but in fact, most of the other operations like
    changing a PCI cards are best done after powering down the computer, of
    course, *but* keeping the power cord plugged in the wall outlet or the power
    bar, to provide ground. RAM change needs the power cord to be unplugged.

    Just my A+ 2 cents.

    Mark Delaney, MCT

    jay

    i just whent threw this.
    enter cpuz hit search
    click on cpu-z
    click on downloads
    click on 126
    click save- download to desktop
    right click on icon/ click open
    should get a screen with 4 ico
    right click on cpuz {far left on my pc} open
    click on run
    another window opens - click run
    a cpuz window opens click on memory
    it will look something like this. [the following is my memory, yours will
    most likely
    be diffrent.]
    199.5mhz
    1:1
    3.0 clocks
    3 clocks
    3 clocks
    8 clocks
    in my case, my speed is 3-3-3-8. if i would have bought and added a faster
    speed such as 2.5-3-3-5 my pc would still have run at the lower speed. that
    is why you have to know what your speed is and match it to the new upgrade.
    hope this helps
    go to newegg.com and they will help you find the right memory
    good luck dave

    "Jay" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Im planning to buy more memory. But they asked me to find my memory speed.
    > How can i find my memory speed on Windows Xp. Do i need a program or
    > something?
  6. Most BIOS will display this information to you directly without opening your computer or downloading a program.

    While your computer is booting you must press a specific key on your keyboard and every computer has its own favorite.
    mine is the Delete key but i have seen all of these options.
    F12
    F8
    F9
    TAB
    Esc
    F2
    F1

    Off topic a bit i find it amusing when i read about older computers which in reality are probably stile in use :)
    Jay
    "199.5mhz"
    i remember when i had a computer that ran that...
    now i run 1866mhz!

    Next Decade LIGHT SPEED!

Hardware Memory Microsoft Windows XP