Fan on Northbridge heatsink

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 14, 2005 8:46:32 PM

I have read where several people have had the cooling fans on their
Northbridge's heatsinks start squealing and/or quit altogether. I also
have had the problem. I took my fan off and removed the little sticker
on the side of the fan, which covers the end of the shaft. I used a
couple of small bladed jeweler's screwdrivers to very carefully remove
the little plastic split-ring washer on the end of the shaft. Removed
the fan and put a little lubricant on the shaft and put it back
together. It is now running perfectly and as quiet as can be.
--
/s/ Timothy I. McCrory
mailto:timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com

"Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
William Cobbett

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
believe they are free."
Goethe

"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
money that it values more, it will lose that too."
Somerset Maugham

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 8:46:33 PM

I wonder if anyone has tried a passive Zalman heatsink on an nforce 3, and
did the temps go up?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2005 7:21:53 PM

Hi Tim

I've done that a few times on a few fan's, it don't last long. I'd be
looking for a replacement fan after I'd oiled mine.

"Tim" <timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have read where several people have had the cooling fans on their
>Northbridge's heatsinks start squealing and/or quit altogether. I also
>have had the problem. I took my fan off and removed the little sticker on
>the side of the fan, which covers the end of the shaft. I used a couple of
>small bladed jeweler's screwdrivers to very carefully remove the little
>plastic split-ring washer on the end of the shaft. Removed the fan and put
>a little lubricant on the shaft and put it back together. It is now
>running perfectly and as quiet as can be.

--

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. Steve .·°·.»

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:21:53 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Sweet"
<steve.sweet@no-spam.btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Hi Tim
>
>I've done that a few times on a few fan's, it don't last long. I'd be
>looking for a replacement fan after I'd oiled mine.
>
>"Tim" <timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have read where several people have had the cooling fans on their
>>Northbridge's heatsinks start squealing and/or quit altogether. I also
>>have had the problem. I took my fan off and removed the little sticker on
>>the side of the fan, which covers the end of the shaft. I used a couple of
>>small bladed jeweler's screwdrivers to very carefully remove the little
>>plastic split-ring washer on the end of the shaft. Removed the fan and put
>>a little lubricant on the shaft and put it back together. It is now
>>running perfectly and as quiet as can be.

I'd like to 'second that'.

I've tried the oiling trick several times/on several fans and 'it
don't last'.

Suggest you get a new fan, BALL-BEARING (not sleeve bearing).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2005 5:06:24 PM

Tim wrote:
> I have read where several people have had the cooling fans on their
> Northbridge's heatsinks start squealing and/or quit altogether. I also
> have had the problem. I took my fan off and removed the little sticker
> on the side of the fan, which covers the end of the shaft. I used a
> couple of small bladed jeweler's screwdrivers to very carefully remove
> the little plastic split-ring washer on the end of the shaft. Removed
> the fan and put a little lubricant on the shaft and put it back
> together. It is now running perfectly and as quiet as can be.

I run a GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 mobo myself, and I'm curious as to the
milimeter size of it's northbridge fan is, and where I can get a
replacement, or if anyone knows of a good low profile heatpipe/spreader
that will work as well. The only thing I don't like about this mobo is
where the northbridge is located - right inline with the the first two
PCI slots and my PCI based Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder card hangs over the
northbridge. I'd like to replace the fan/heatsink with some sort of low
profile copper heatpipe-spreader. I can't believe how loud that little
fan is, until I unplugged it one day just to see just how quiet my
Zalman cpu cooler is in comparision.

I'm planning to add a second 74GB Raptor to this system (they tend to
run a tad warm), but I'm just going to mount them both on the bottom of
this Enlight 7237 case on 4 thick double-sided tape square "standoffs",
and pull the plastic card guide/fan/speaker mount, and replace the fan
with a 120mm fan on a potentiometer connected to either the sys_fan, or
possibly the northbridge fan power connector. Being that the 120mm fan
will be right inline with all of the PCI slots, blowing right across
both raptor drive heatsinks (and the northbridge heatsink as well), I
wonder if I even really need an active cooling fan directly on the
northbridge? I don't plan on doing any OCing.

Example:

Enlight 7237 case:
|| Antec | _(M)DVD Burner |
|| True480 | __|_(S)Mobile Rack |
|| PSU | | _(M)DVD Combo |
|| (dual-fan) | | _|_(S)PATA HDD |
||_____________| || |
| _____ || |
| / \ || |
| /ZALMAN \ II 3.5" I/O Panel |
| |Athlon64 | DD Card reader |
| \ 3000 / EE (Internal 3.5" |
| \_939_/ 21 bay - empty) |
| |
| AGP Slot /\ __ |
| PCI Slot 1 (ATI AIW) \<------------|1 ||
| PCI Slot 2 \NB/ <-----------|2 ||
| PCI Slot 3 \/ <------------|0 ||
| PCI Slot 4 <---------------|mm||
| PCI Slot 5 <------------| ||
| ______________ ______________<---|F ||
| |Raptor 1 ||Raptor 2 |<--|A ||
| |______________||______________|<--|N_||
|___________________________________________|

Any thoughts?

-Rick

-Rick
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2005 12:58:06 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:06:24 -0500, "Rick M." <dishtv@ptd.net> wrote:

> [...]
>profile copper heatpipe-spreader. I can't believe how loud that little
>fan is, until I unplugged it one day just to see just how quiet my
>Zalman cpu cooler is in comparision.
>
>I'm planning to add a second 74GB Raptor to this system (they tend to
>run a tad warm), but I'm just going to mount them both on the bottom of
>this Enlight 7237 case on 4 thick double-sided tape square "standoffs",
>and pull the plastic card guide/fan/speaker mount, and replace the fan
>with a 120mm fan on a potentiometer connected to either the sys_fan, or
>possibly the northbridge fan power connector. Being that the 120mm fan
>will be right inline with all of the PCI slots, blowing right across
>both raptor drive heatsinks (and the northbridge heatsink as well), I
>wonder if I even really need an active cooling fan directly on the
>northbridge? I don't plan on doing any OCing.

That 120mm might be ok though I would try to get a heatsink that has
fins all the way across sticking up as high as you can get. Maybe
trim the fins that would be in the way of the video card. Or you can
do what I did on my GA-K8NS-Ultra-939. I believe the stock fan is
30mm, I was able to pull that and put a 50mm fan and run it at 5
volts. I also put Video ram heatsinks in the hole the original fan
left making sure the fins lined up with the original heatsink. Runs
fine for me even with the CPU overclocked (218 mhz fsb on a winchester
amd 64 3500+ to 2400 mhz) and the video card overclocked (6600GT). So
far no heat issues even during gaming, or during stress testing the
cpu.
May 16, 2005 1:05:51 PM

I have same problem Tim on a GA-7VAXP

I tried normal oil on the shaft afew times, but only worked for a
short while, so I thought I would try a drop of fine engine oil, this
appears to be the best to date and still going.

There are the problem being the bearing is far from suitable and one
of those 'El cheapo', I guess that the engine oil is only another
temporary fix but the fan never seized up since - which make's it
untrustworthy.

As Ed suggested the Zalman offers an excellent salution and suspect it
would be far more efficient than a 'blast' from a small fan which
really seems here or there, the problem is the heat on the bearing If
one is a little suspicious then you could always attach a fan to the
Zalman (alittle OTT).

That having said, I run my CPU at 2Ghz and the first time I happened
to noticed the fan had stopped was when I decided to check for dust
etc - how long it has been stopped I can't say, obviously upping the
CPU is gonna make the northbridge work alittle harder...! It, seems
to me (I stand corrected) that modern boards seem to have no fan.

I think Radio Spares in UK do a suitable fan, a check on RS Components
(UK) should reveal.

As a final, if you brake the little plastic clip (like I did) I
stripped a little DC motor down, the kind you get in a cassette
player, I was just lucky with a plstic spacer in the shaft - it
fitted a treat (note this needs not be tight as it's held by the pull
of its magnetic disc).
Davy
!