GA7-N400Pro2 Rev1 and AthlonXP 3200 Barton experiences

Sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, I am going to be upgrading my
CPU. Right now, I have an AthlonXP 2400. I am looking to move the the
XP 3200.

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with this combination? I
am probably going to stick with my current RAM (2x512MB DDR333 Kingston
HyperX), which I will probably overclock to DDR400, to keep up with the
CPU.

Right now I've got the F5 BIOS, I tried flashing to F11 I think it was,
and my system wouldn't boot into Windows without a BSOD. I've been to
lazy to flash the main BIOS back, and have been using the backup BIOS
instead. Will I / should I reflash to the newest BIOS prior to getting
the CPU?

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

Jason,

I'd just keep the 2400+ and overclock it. I've been happily running an
Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200 (400MHz) with no problems for over a
year. I have Crucial 2700 RAM but it went to 3200 with no problem (higher
CAS latency). If you're going to overclock anyway (and your memory won't go
past 3200, I'm pretty sure), then why not just use the processor you have?

---
John

"Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, I am going to be upgrading my
> CPU. Right now, I have an AthlonXP 2400. I am looking to move the the
> XP 3200.
>
> Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with this combination? I
> am probably going to stick with my current RAM (2x512MB DDR333 Kingston
> HyperX), which I will probably overclock to DDR400, to keep up with the
> CPU.
>
> Right now I've got the F5 BIOS, I tried flashing to F11 I think it was,
> and my system wouldn't boot into Windows without a BSOD. I've been to
> lazy to flash the main BIOS back, and have been using the backup BIOS
> instead. Will I / should I reflash to the newest BIOS prior to getting
> the CPU?
>

> --
> -------------------------------------
> Reply to for SPAM only
>
> All others use:
> m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk
>
> Remove spaces to send
> Thank you
> -------------------------------------

I'm not a big fan of overclocking.

I've got nothing against the people who do so, and appreciate the work
that goes into setting up a system that is stable when overclocked, but
I'm just lazy.

I'd rather get a new part, and start migrating the old part(s) to new
systems for other uses.

For example, my CPU will be moved to my wifes PC, and her existing CPU
(my old XP1800), will (someday) become the core of another system.

Which means I'll also get rid of one of my older systems, probably the
K6-2 500Mhz...

Thanks for the idea though.
Jason A.

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

"John Bissell" <john@jmbissell.com> wrote in message
> Jason,
> I'd just keep the 2400+ and overclock it. I've been happily running an
> Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200 (400MHz) with no problems for over a
> year. I have Crucial 2700 RAM but it went to 3200 with no problem (higher
> CAS latency). If you're going to overclock anyway (and your memory won't
> go
> past 3200, I'm pretty sure), then why not just use the processor you have?
> ---
> John
> "Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, I am going to be upgrading my
>> CPU. Right now, I have an AthlonXP 2400. I am looking to move the the
>> XP 3200.
>> Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with this combination? I
>> am probably going to stick with my current RAM (2x512MB DDR333 Kingston
>> HyperX), which I will probably overclock to DDR400, to keep up with the
>> CPU.
>> Right now I've got the F5 BIOS, I tried flashing to F11 I think it was,
>> and my system wouldn't boot into Windows without a BSOD. I've been to
>> lazy to flash the main BIOS back, and have been using the backup BIOS
>> instead. Will I / should I reflash to the newest BIOS prior to getting
>> the CPU?
I've run 3 GA7N400Pro boards. One was a Pro (died, and so did the cpu), the
other 2 are Pro2 (version 1). I have run them with 2200, 2600 (not Barton),
2700, 2800 (Barton) and 3200 (400 FSB) processors. They have also used
PC2700 and PC3200 RAM. The 2800 runs with Corsair TwinX RAM - all of them
had 512Mb total. Quite honestly, you can't tell the difference between the
processors (or processor/RAM combinations) in day to day use. (Obviously, if
you run a benchmark, it does record a better score for the faster cpu - I'm
talking about sitting in front of the computer and using it). The biggest
way to make them seem different is to use a faster graphics card. Simple
things like refreshing all the icons on the desktop are so much faster with
a GF5950ultra than with a GF4000MX, even if you put the fast video card in
the slowest computer and vice versa. My advice is to save the money until
you can go to a different generation of processor altogether.

By the way, when you buy an expensive all-in-one mainboard like this one,
should it fail, there are no retrievable components, whereas add-in PCI
cards for firewire etc usually still work even if the mainboard goes west.

EB

"Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> waxed eloquent in

> "John Bissell" <john@jmbissell.com> wrote in message
>> Jason,
>> I'd just keep the 2400+ and overclock it. I've been happily running
>> an Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200 (400MHz) with no problems for
>> over a year. I have Crucial 2700 RAM but it went to 3200 with no
>> problem (higher CAS latency). If you're going to overclock anyway
>> (and your memory won't go
>> past 3200, I'm pretty sure), then why not just use the processor you
>> have? ---
>> John
>> "Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>> Sometime in the next couple of weeks or so, I am going to be
>>> upgrading my CPU. Right now, I have an AthlonXP 2400. I am looking
>>> to move the the XP 3200.
>>> Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with this
>>> combination? I am probably going to stick with my current RAM
>>> (2x512MB DDR333 Kingston HyperX), which I will probably overclock to
>>> DDR400, to keep up with the CPU.
>>> Right now I've got the F5 BIOS, I tried flashing to F11 I think it
>>> was, and my system wouldn't boot into Windows without a BSOD. I've
>>> been to lazy to flash the main BIOS back, and have been using the
>>> backup BIOS instead. Will I / should I reflash to the newest BIOS
>>> prior to getting the CPU?
> I've run 3 GA7N400Pro boards. One was a Pro (died, and so did the
> cpu), the other 2 are Pro2 (version 1). I have run them with 2200,
> 2600 (not Barton), 2700, 2800 (Barton) and 3200 (400 FSB) processors.
> They have also used PC2700 and PC3200 RAM. The 2800 runs with Corsair
> TwinX RAM - all of them had 512Mb total. Quite honestly, you can't
> tell the difference between the processors (or processor/RAM
> combinations) in day to day use. (Obviously, if you run a benchmark,
> it does record a better score for the faster cpu - I'm talking about
> sitting in front of the computer and using it). The biggest way to
> make them seem different is to use a faster graphics card. Simple
> things like refreshing all the icons on the desktop are so much faster
> with a GF5950ultra than with a GF4000MX, even if you put the fast
> video card in the slowest computer and vice versa. My advice is to
> save the money until you can go to a different generation of processor
> altogether.
>
> By the way, when you buy an expensive all-in-one mainboard like this
> one, should it fail, there are no retrievable components, whereas
> add-in PCI cards for firewire etc usually still work even if the
> mainboard goes west.
>
> EB

Yeah, I'm not expecting Windows to suddenly seem faster. But as I am a
gamer, I am looking to see that either run faster, or smoother with
higher AA and AF settings.

Right now I've got a Radeon 9700Pro, and am trying to hold off on a new
vid card until I replace the board, CPU, and video card when I move to an
Athlon64 / PCI Express etc.

As far as failing components on the board, I'm using the USB, and that's
about it. I've got an Intel Pro1000MT NIC, and my Audigy has the
Firewire...

--
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use: